brackpool13

Embassy - What can you bring in?

25 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hello,

Just a quick question - Are you allowed to bring in rucksacks to the US embassy? I know suitcases and larger items of luggage aren't permitted, but unsure about a simple bag on yer back.

Thanks,

James

Timeline
7 minutes ago, brackpool13 said:

Hello,

Just a quick question - Are you allowed to bring in rucksacks to the US embassy? I know suitcases and larger items of luggage aren't permitted, but unsure about a simple bag on yer back.

Thanks,

James

That's also not allowed to get inn pls , the only thing that can get inn is your documents be put inside any transparent thing to get it inn , which is due to security reason.

Edited by Moses Bee

10 minutes ago, brackpool13 said:

Hello,

Thanks,

James

Hey for mine I took basically a laptop bag with me. 

All I had inside of it was my phone USB lead and a power bank and x3 brown paper envelopes (1 with originals in, 2 with copies of everything). I saw some people with smaller sized rucksacks with them but that was all. They will ask you to empty it out to go through airport style security at arrival, if you have a smaller document/laptop bag I'd recommend that more. 

Summary:

Filed I129f: 06/09/2018

NOA2 dated: 11/29/2018

NVC Case #: Fianceé (USC) Called and received it: 01/08/2019

Case Shipped: 01/08/2019

Case Received: 01/15/2019

Medical: 02/08/2019

Interview: 03/11/2019 - Approved

Visa In Hand: 03/15/2019

US Entry: 05/11/2019 - DTW

Marriage: 06/22/2019

Filed AOS/EAD/AP: 08/02/2019

NOA1: 08/09/2019

RFE: 09/29/2019

Biometrics: 09/30/2019

Interview Letter Received: 11/02/2019

Interview Date: 12/09/2019

AOS Approval Date: 01/04/2020 (Assuming - that's the valid date on my card)

Green Card Received: 01/08/2020

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

As Luke said, it's more about the size of the bag being able to fit in the tray to be scanned. I had quite a large bag with me as I had my son with me, so I had double of everything to carry. I think an average sized rucksack, for example the size that people typically take to work, is fine. You can always empty the contents in to one tray and fold the bag up to be scanned in another tray. It is exactly like airport security, to give you an idea of it. 

44 minutes ago, Moses Bee said:

That's also not allowed to get inn pls , the only thing that can get inn is your documents be put inside any transparent thing to get it inn , which is due to security reason.

London allows more than other embassies. London allows smart phones, and other small electronics. London also allows bags. No need for transparent wallets for documents in London. 

OP I took my cabin bag in with me that I use when flying. When I was there I saw someone with two Tesco bags, someone else with a rollalong overnight bag, a family with two babies who had several bags that contained, I assume, changing supplies and spare clothes for them. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Timeline
1 hour ago, fip & jim said:

As Luke said, it's more about the size of the bag being able to fit in the tray to be scanned. I had quite a large bag with me as I had my son with me, so I had double of everything to carry. I think an average sized rucksack, for example the size that people typically take to work, is fine. You can always empty the contents in to one tray and fold the bag up to be scanned in another tray. It is exactly like airport security, to give you an idea of it. 

That's really helpful to know, thanks.

3 minutes ago, JFH said:

London allows more than other embassies. London allows smart phones, and other small electronics. London also allows bags. No need for transparent wallets for documents in London. 

OP I took my cabin bag in with me that I use when flying. When I was there I saw someone with two Tesco bags, someone else with a rollalong overnight bag, a family with two babies who had several bags that contained, I assume, changing supplies and spare clothes for them. 

Well, considering that i think i'll be fine with a rucksack! I was considering the old Tesco bags but they're just a pain to carry all the way down to London. Thanks for the reply.

1 hour ago, brackpool13 said:

That's really helpful to know, thanks.

Well, considering that i think i'll be fine with a rucksack! I was considering the old Tesco bags but they're just a pain to carry all the way down to London. Thanks for the reply.

The Tesco bags caused some amusement at the London embassy when I was there. His number was called and he stood up to go to the window, caught one bag on the edge of the chair, it ripped and all his photos, documents, etc went all over the floor. This was at the old embassy. It had a very highly polished floor and the papers all whizzed across the floor in all directions. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Timeline

I believe part of the decision to build the new embassy was for the enhanced security a modern building could accommodate. It's a great building.

You'll be fine, brackpool.  Is your interview soon? Have you got far to travel?

Timeline
2 minutes ago, fip & jim said:

I believe part of the decision to build the new embassy was for the enhanced security a modern building could accommodate. It's a great building.

You'll be fine, brackpool.  Is your interview soon? Have you got far to travel?

It's this Friday, early morning start for me. I'm not coming from too far, only Birmingham. Wouldn't fancy the big trips made from Newcastle/Edinburgh etc. 

I took in a giant manila envelope with my documents in. My wallet, my phone, my portable phone battery and charge lead. That was it.

They tried to kick up a fuss over my watch but since I only have mechanical watches they couldn't complain about electronics ;)

Timeline
1 minute ago, brackpool13 said:

It's this Friday, early morning start for me. I'm not coming from too far, only Birmingham. Wouldn't fancy the big trips made from Newcastle/Edinburgh etc. 

It's simple to find and the interview is nothing to be nervous about. I'm sure you've researched - there's a Waitrose over the road if you get there too early and need a coffee. Good luck!

1 hour ago, brackpool13 said:

I did the trip from Newcastle. It's 2 hours 50 by the quick train or you come down the night before as I did. Left case in station left luggage, did the interview and headed back.

As others have said, I took quite a large handbag into the embassy when I went for B12 visa interview many moons ago - and they were fine with it (I also had my phone in there, a lighter, various bits and bobs)...the only thing they wasn’t keen on was the big pair of kitchen scissors I had in there 😂😂🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️ - they were confiscated. But they still let me in and I still got my visa! 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.