dannosaur

K1: Various post-move questions

16 posts in this topic

I have a few questions for those that'll be familiar with the move process, on a K1 specifically. Relevant details below...

1. Social Security Numbers: I don't have one currently, and I'm finding more and more that this is required for pretty much everything here. I've researched how to get one, and there's a couple of options, either by applying for it from the SSA, or getting it as part of the EAD application. We've not submitted the second round of forms yet, but I'm curious what's the best way of going about this? Go get one now, and put that number on the EAD form, or wait for the EAD to issue it? If the former, how long does this usually take? I'd be conscious of this process if it would impact/delay the filing of the AoS/EAD before time runs out.
  2. Health insurance: Seemingly required to have an SSN to have health insurance. And given that I don't have an SSN, how have others dealt with the issue of healthcare in the "waiting" period between arrival and getting an SSN to get access to health insurance?
  3. Driving/owning a car: I hate not having any form of independence. Apparently you also need an SSN to own a driving license as well. Is it even possible to get a driving license while in the "waiting" period? Is there an alternate way to get a driving license without an SSN? Obviously can't even drive her car since I have nothing valid in the US (my UK license, as far as I know, is of no further use to me here).
  4. Passing the time: What do you even DO with your time while waiting for the ability to work? It's been almost a month since I've been here, and I'm getting a bit.....bored. No independence because no driving license. No money because I can't work. What do you do to prevent yourself from becoming crazy?
  5. Filing AP: The vast majority of documentation here (what's still relevant, anyway) suggest filing AP with AoS/EAD, however that form asks about your intended trip abroad, dates of departure and reasons for trip. How can you file this "anyway" if you don't have an outbound trip planned? Is it even worth filing this at this point?

Pertinent information (or as much as I can think relevant, anyway):

• Arrived in the US April 4th
  • I-94 is valid until July 2nd
  • K1 doesn't expire until May 26th (don't know if this is even relevant, but including it in case it is)
  • Marriage happened April 25th
  • We've not sent the AoS/EAD forms yet, so can change answers if/as necessary (with regard to the SSN question, at least)
  • We live in Utah

Help/advice appreciated.

Dan

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Netherlands
Timeline
38 minutes ago, dannosaur said:

I have a few questions for those that'll be familiar with the move process, on a K1 specifically. Relevant details below...

1. Social Security Numbers: I don't have one currently, and I'm finding more and more that this is required for pretty much everything here. I've researched how to get one, and there's a couple of options, either by applying for it from the SSA, or getting it as part of the EAD application. We've not submitted the second round of forms yet, but I'm curious what's the best way of going about this? Go get one now, and put that number on the EAD form, or wait for the EAD to issue it? If the former, how long does this usually take? I'd be conscious of this process if it would impact/delay the filing of the AoS/EAD before time runs out.
  2. Health insurance: Seemingly required to have an SSN to have health insurance. And given that I don't have an SSN, how have others dealt with the issue of healthcare in the "waiting" period between arrival and getting an SSN to get access to health insurance?
  3. Driving/owning a car: I hate not having any form of independence. Apparently you also need an SSN to own a driving license as well. Is it even possible to get a driving license while in the "waiting" period? Is there an alternate way to get a driving license without an SSN? Obviously can't even drive her car since I have nothing valid in the US (my UK license, as far as I know, is of no further use to me here).
  4. Passing the time: What do you even DO with your time while waiting for the ability to work? It's been almost a month since I've been here, and I'm getting a bit.....bored. No independence because no driving license. No money because I can't work. What do you do to prevent yourself from becoming crazy?
  5. Filing AP: The vast majority of documentation here (what's still relevant, anyway) suggest filing AP with AoS/EAD, however that form asks about your intended trip abroad, dates of departure and reasons for trip. How can you file this "anyway" if you don't have an outbound trip planned? Is it even worth filing this at this point?

Pertinent information (or as much as I can think relevant, anyway):

• Arrived in the US April 4th
  • I-94 is valid until July 2nd
  • K1 doesn't expire until May 26th (don't know if this is even relevant, but including it in case it is)
  • Marriage happened April 25th
  • We've not sent the AoS/EAD forms yet, so can change answers if/as necessary (with regard to the SSN question, at least)
  • We live in Utah

Help/advice appreciated.

Dan

1: I would go to a SSN office ASAP after your arrival to request one. You might have to go through manual verification (or not), but usually it doesn't take more than 4 weeks (There are some unlucky people, but it worked for me)

Make sure your I-94 is good for at least another 2-3 weeks when you apply, otherwise you'll have to wait for your EAD.

2: There's health insurance out there that doesn't require a SSN. If your wife has healthcare through work, check if they need your SSN to list you as a dependent. If so, try to find an insurance that doesn't require one for the time being.

3: Usually you need your SSN to obtain your DL, but if you couldn't obtain one in time, you can show a letter to the DMV why you didn't get one. The SSN office will provide you one in this case.

It seems Utah is pretty laid back and you can get a temp DL while waiting for your EAD/Green Card. 

4: I just started working after sitting at home for 9 months. Try to explore your new area, become a volunteer and maybe try a new hobby. I started crocheting, watched A LOT of Netflix and TV lol, volunteered at an animal shelter etc. It's wasn't too bad imo, and once your EAD comes in you might find a job soon after.

5: Def file for AP! When you are AOSing you don't need to give an explanation or time for your (potential) trip

Edited by C90

Go get your ssn as soon as possible, or else you’ll need to wait longer for ead or green card (whichever comes first)

get your spouse to add you to their insurance ASAP, you can only be added within a month (I believe) from a qualifying life change (marriage) after that you’ll need your own insurance and it will probably be much higher than beings your spouses dependent. They will ask for ssn, but it’s not mandatory, have your spouse be firm when dealing with them.

Driving is state specific, so I can’t offer much help. But check with your local rmv. My state needs proof of legal stay in the US, so ead or green card is needed. You may need to wait to own and drive a car. But depending on where you are, check public transport so you have more to do.

its no fun staying around the house doing nothing, but every person has their own hobbies, likes and whatnot so it’s hard to give much advice without knowing you personally, but the key is to keep busy with whatever you like. It’s springtime so there’s a lot more to do, weather is nice. Enjoy yourself in the great outdoor

definitely worth it filing for ap, no real plan is needed, you don’t need to put anything in the form. Just file it. You never know if an emergency happen and you need to leave the country. It’s free with aos so why not.

What worked for me to build my credit was going to my bank where I have my primary checking account and asked for a secured credit card, I used for groceries and whatever else I needed to buy. Never spending too close of my limit. It’s been 2 years or so and they’ve upgraded my card from secured to regular and my credit is very good. I believe you can build yours with help from your spouse but an advisor in my and said it would be easier/ faster if I did it myself.

good luck

Timeline
32 minutes ago, dannosaur said:

Also, if anyone has any advice on building a credit rating up, that'd be appreciated also.

Dan

For the credit part, if your wife has a good credit score, let her add you to her cc's as an authorized user. My credit score went from 0 to 700+ within about 4 months because of this. Once I got my job I got a secured cc and we got a car loan in both of our names. All these things build up credit, but only the authorized user thing will rocket your credit score from 0 to something real quick, so I would start with that if I were you.

Thanks both for your really helpful info...

So with regard to filing for an SSN, do I need to hold off filing the EAD until after I get the SSN, or can I file EAD irrespective, say no to the SSN question and file that myself? What's the best way here?

My wife called her health provider the day after we got married, and they were insistent I needed an SSN in order to be added. With that in mind, is this actually true or were they just being awkward? If it is true, and there's a maximum window for her adding me to her policy as a result of our marriage, and with the SSN card taking so long to be issued (assuming the issuing time lasts longer than the window), does that basically put me SOL on getting onto her policy at all, and that I'm going to have to source and pay for a policy myself?

@p-ana you say that, but you clearly don't know Utah's weather patterns much!!! To put things in perspective a little, it snowed a couple days ago! Heavy, too. Couple inches fell overnight. It's just starting to warm up here. It's literally been just above freezing, maybe slightly milder for pretty much the entire duration I've been here! It's....odd...for this time of year lol!!

Thanks again!

Edited by dannosaur

Timeline
8 minutes ago, dannosaur said:

So with regard to filing for an SSN, do I need to hold off filing the EAD until after I get the SSN, or can I file EAD irrespective, say no to the SSN question and file that myself? What's the best way here?

My wife called her health provider the day after we got married, and they were insistent I needed an SSN in order to be added. With that in mind, is this actually true or were they just being awkward? If it is true, and there's a maximum window for her adding me to her policy as a result of our marriage, and with the SSN card taking so long to be issued (assuming the issuing time lasts longer than the window), does that basically put me SOL on getting onto her policy at all, and that I'm going to have to source and pay for a policy myself?

@p-ana you say that, but you clearly don't know Utah's weather patterns much!!! To put things in perspective a little, it snowed a couple days ago! Heavy, too. Couple inches fell overnight. It's just starting to warm up here. It's literally been just above freezing, maybe slightly milder for pretty much the entire duration I've been here! It's....odd...for this time of year lol!!

Thanks again!

You can do it concurrently. If you don't have your SSN when you file for EAD, just tick the no box at the 'do you need an SSN' and explain on the last page you filed but don't have it yet.

A lot of healthcare providers do need SSN, only a handful don't. My husband needed mine to add me to his previous health insurance, I provided his when I added him to my current one through work.

I think you have 90 days after a major life event to make changes to the health insurance, but double check with her insurance. If she wants to add you once this window closes, she can do that when the next open enrollment comes by (usually around November)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

1. Go apply tomorrow or Monday. Apply in the EXACT name as found on your I-94, even if it runs names together. Get the number and sort the name later. There's a whole write up about K1 SSNs on the Guides menu tab. I had my card in a week. Your AOS/EAD/AP do not need a SSN. Just leave that out. 

2. Health insurance pushes that SSN, but you are not required to give it to them. They can assign you an identification number, use your passport number for example. Be firm and say I have no SSN and you can not legally require it.

3. You are probably not going to be allowed a license without EAD. Your legal presence ends on Day 90. There is nothing you can produce on paper that gives a date beyond that until you get EAD which shows you have a year. 

4. I did handyman jobs around the house, spent my wife's money, and drove on my U.K. license. 

5. AP is free and requires no reason. I think I said- date: unknown, reason: in case of emergency. Not sure what the lates form even asks. People you love may die unexpectedly. It's about the things you never dreamed would happen.  It will allow you to return to the UK with no hassle to get back in. Do it.

6 minutes ago, dannosaur said:

Thanks again!

Apply to ead with aos and ap. You can choose not to get ssn with it. Do it yourself as soon as possible.

AFAIK you can only be added for a short period of time outside open enrollment when there’s a qualifying life change. there should be a way to add you even without ssn and then just update whenever you get one. Do a search on vj and there should be plenty of threads on this topic and I’m sure there will be more valid answers on this. 

I’m not familiar with Utah but I’ve lived in Wisconsin and I’ve been in New England for a good amount of time and here we never know. It’s supposed to be spring but we haven’t got that yet lol 

I walk everywhere and live in a tiny little town so I welcome anything above freezing... if it’s sunny then, my day is made

Oh, one further question...

VJ's guides and documentation appears to be inconsistent with this topic. The I-693 (medical) form. Certain parts of the website say you don't need to file this at all if you file AoS within a year of the medical. Other parts say you need to file certain parts of it regardless of the filing timescale. I had my medical done in the UK in November, and opted to get all the required vaccinations and whatnot required so I didn't have to concern myself any further over it. So...which is it? Do I need to file this form, or not?

Timeline
1 hour ago, dannosaur said:

Also, if anyone has any advice on building a credit rating up, that'd be appreciated also.

Dan

There is a whole forum on Tax and Finance https://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/159-tax-finances-during-us-immigration/

There is a pinned thread at the top about Building Credit with many suggestions. I got added as a user on my wife's credit card and they reported to the credit bureaus on my name as well. I got my own visa based on that (and added her as a user). 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, dannosaur said:

Oh, one further question...

VJ's guides and documentation appears to be inconsistent with this topic. The I-693 (medical) form. Certain parts of the website say you don't need to file this at all if you file AoS within a year of the medical. Other parts say you need to file certain parts of it regardless of the filing timescale. I had my medical done in the UK in November, and opted to get all the required vaccinations and whatnot required so I didn't have to concern myself any further over it. So...which is it? Do I need to file this form, or not?

No. But send a photocopy of your  signed off vaccinations form you got from the clinic in London. DS-3025.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
18 hours ago, dannosaur said:

Dan

I put my husband on my discover account after he got his SSN, this helped him build from nothing to a excellent score. in 3 months.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
19 hours ago, dannosaur said:

Dan

Definitely, let your spouse add you as authorize/additional user to their credit card account their credit worthiness will apply to you. Additionally, get a secured credit card (will recommend Capital One Secured Mastercard) and use that to continue to build on your credit until you are able to get unsecured credit card.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline
19 hours ago, dannosaur said:

Dan

Yes I'm interested in this as well as my husband needs to build up his! I heard you can get prepaid credit cards typically from credit unions or add that person to a utility bill I'm sure can at least help.

K1 Journey from Spain to USA :wub:
10-25-2017 I-129F Sent to Lewisville
10-27-2017 NOA1
XX-XX-XXXX NOA2 :jest:
XX-XX-XXXX NVC Received
XX-XX-XXXX Interview Scheduled
XX-XX-XXXX POE :whistle:
XX-XX-XXXX Married 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.