dannosaur

K1: Various post-move questions

16 posts in this topic

On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 8:18 PM, dannosaur said:

I have a few questions for those that'll be familiar with the move process, on a K1 specifically. Relevant details below...

1. Social Security Numbers: I don't have one currently, and I'm finding more and more that this is required for pretty much everything here. I've researched how to get one, and there's a couple of options, either by applying for it from the SSA, or getting it as part of the EAD application. We've not submitted the second round of forms yet, but I'm curious what's the best way of going about this? Go get one now, and put that number on the EAD form, or wait for the EAD to issue it? If the former, how long does this usually take? I'd be conscious of this process if it would impact/delay the filing of the AoS/EAD before time runs out.
  2. Health insurance: Seemingly required to have an SSN to have health insurance. And given that I don't have an SSN, how have others dealt with the issue of healthcare in the "waiting" period between arrival and getting an SSN to get access to health insurance?
  3. Driving/owning a car: I hate not having any form of independence. Apparently you also need an SSN to own a driving license as well. Is it even possible to get a driving license while in the "waiting" period? Is there an alternate way to get a driving license without an SSN? Obviously can't even drive her car since I have nothing valid in the US (my UK license, as far as I know, is of no further use to me here).
  4. Passing the time: What do you even DO with your time while waiting for the ability to work? It's been almost a month since I've been here, and I'm getting a bit.....bored. No independence because no driving license. No money because I can't work. What do you do to prevent yourself from becoming crazy?
  5. Filing AP: The vast majority of documentation here (what's still relevant, anyway) suggest filing AP with AoS/EAD, however that form asks about your intended trip abroad, dates of departure and reasons for trip. How can you file this "anyway" if you don't have an outbound trip planned? Is it even worth filing this at this point?

Pertinent information (or as much as I can think relevant, anyway):

• Arrived in the US April 4th
  • I-94 is valid until July 2nd
  • K1 doesn't expire until May 26th (don't know if this is even relevant, but including it in case it is)
  • Marriage happened April 25th
  • We've not sent the AoS/EAD forms yet, so can change answers if/as necessary (with regard to the SSN question, at least)
  • We live in Utah

Help/advice appreciated.

Dan

On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 8:29 PM, dannosaur said:

Also, if anyone has any advice on building a credit rating up, that'd be appreciated also.

Dan

Hi Dan,

When you arrive in the USA get your I94 printed out and make sure it is correct. Then regardless of if you want to wait a couple weeks or a few days head over to the SSA with the proper form, I94 and evidence. See what they say. If they say you can't get one as a K1, show them their own regulations off their website. Additionally if you don't mind waiting around you could try requesting an SSN on your AOS + EAD/AP application. No idea how long that would take, we did it the first way and it worked out just fine. Husband got his card within a week. Don't wait too long on going to the SSA office or they will refuse you.

An SSN is not required to have health insurance by law. It's a little complicated to explain, but... it's just not. That doesn't mean someone won't try to request it. Certainly if you use the exchange it'll be requested as you'll be dealing with a government agency. If you buy private insurance? Well I've found cases they don't request it at all, or at least not until a later date. Usually the USC spouse would add their foreign spouse to their work insurance. HR would likely try to request it, but there too, you could argue it out with them. Initially I got my husband onto a private plan within a month of our marriage, and from recollection, they never asked for it at all, until a long while (or tax reporting purposes). Oh and while health insurance isn't required by law, you never know when you're going to need it. So consider which option you might be interested in using. It'll cost pretty much either way. Again you qualify for insurance under the exchange provided you haven't waited too long for a special qualifying event... but if you haven't filed for AOS yet, then you'll have a hard time. Still wait too long, and you'll be stuck until open enrollment again.

Typically you're going to need not just an SSN to drive, but your EAD, and your name on some kind of piece of mail. It's not true that your UK license cannot be used either. Depending on state regulations you may drive it until you take up residency. Some say 30 days, some even say a year. Whenever husband visited the states, he certainly drove, and he drove a little while when he immigrated too. When his EAD came the DMV regulations here stipulate an immigrant can convert over. You typically won't have to go through hours and hours of courses or tests, but they require them to take the written test, and 10min road test with an officer. Easy stuff for an experienced driver. The license issued is a temporary one. You go back to the DMV and switch it out for a full one when the green card arrives. Every state is different, so you'll need to read up on it. He still has his UK license for whenever he needs to visit home.

Passing time? Well, it depends on your hobbies. We like gaming, watching movies, and traveling. If you live in a more bus-friendly area it's not so bad. We live out in the sticks though, so driving is kind of needed. What have you tried doing so far? And btw, just because you haven't got your EAD yet, that doesn't mean you can't be looking at your job options. Do a lot of searching. My husband didn't land a job until his green card and that was a loooooong time! You can imagine he was bonkers by then. Unfortunately, some employers don't understand the meaning of an EAD, so having one doesn't guarantee someone will hire you, even if you're qualified.

AP doesn't require a reason. The guides here are helpful about that. You never know when you're going to need it.

As for credit... Well, I'm a housewife. Not much credit here either to start out. But, we started out with a pay-as-you go contract with a cell phone company, after he got a job, we applied for a secured credit card with Discover. You pay the money up front, and they will return it if you remain a good customer. Use it wisely and they reward you in about six months with a full card. Within a year our credit is great with a great credit limit. He loves watching over his score. If your spouse has credit they can add you as an authorized user. Also don't forget about adding to a joint bank account, don't need an SSN for that either. Can do it with a passport.. and if the bank refuses, then they don't deserve your business.

Finally, the I-693. Did you receive all your shots from Knightsbridge (before the visit or during the visit) and is your DS3025 marked complete? The I-693 is not required under this scenario. Send a photocopy of your DS3025. Only IF the USCIS issues an RFE for vaccinations would the I-693 be required. Even under this scenario, IF your vaccinations are well and truly complete - take the I-693 and follow the instructions carefully that pertain to a K1. Fill out part of the form. Take it to a US Civil Surgeon that is willing to do a vaccination transcription ONLY. Show them the DS3025, they will transcribe all the vax onto the I-693, close it in an envelope which you would return as the answer to the RFE, with an explanation letter stating the USCIS guidelines on the matter. Reasons why it would happen?

They lose your paperwork, they can't be bothered to look at your original medical, or they don't understand the DS3025 because they are a newbie. In our case this happened to us: it cost $30, 2+hrs of travel time, and a strongly worded letter. But they approved soon after. It's also possible, during an interview, the officer could ask for the I-693. You'd have to comply in the same way.

Hope it helps.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.