adri80

Advance Parole card use for traveling

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Hi everyone... I just would like to ask question.. I already got my card for EAD card and Advance Parole card in one card (combination) last month. 

I am still waiting the process for my AOS. I know that EAD/AP card can be used for me  if I want to do emergency travel to my home country. I might would like to just it in September. However, incase in not using it to go home but traveling to other country aside my home country, would that be fine? As I heard that better not to use the card if it's not emergency. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, adri80 said:

Hi everyone... I just would like to ask question.. I already got my card for EAD card and Advance Parole card in one card (combination) last month. 

I am still waiting the process for my AOS. I know that EAD/AP card can be used for me  if I want to do emergency travel to my home country. I might would like to just it in September. However, incase in not using it to go home but traveling to other country aside my home country, would that be fine? As I heard that better not to use the card if it's not emergency. 

You can go for non-emergency reasons. And it doesn't need to be your home country. 

It's "technically" best if you wait until you have the green card, but tons of people have traveled on AP without any issue. And with the AOS process taking 1-2 years in some of the busier offices, it'd understandable someone may need (or want) to travel.

The biggest issues you can hypothetically run into are:

• lost AP card abroad. I believe CBP can parole you in as long as you have your passport and the I485 notice. But you'll have a hell of a time getting the airline to let you board.
  • I485 gets denied while abroad. This will invalidate your advance parole and CBP shouldn't let you back in the country, if they go by the book

You will probably be fine.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
17 minutes ago, PolskaKielbasia said:

The biggest issues you can hypothetically run into are:

• lost AP card abroad. I believe CBP can parole you in as long as you have your passport and the I485 notice. But you'll have a hell of a time getting the airline to let you board.

Losing an I-551 (e.g. green card) would also be a problem too. Surely the advice is not to travel until one has a USA passport.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

People say that because entrance to US only guaranteed to her citizens. Everyone else, up to and including Green Card holder can be denied entrance at the border. Now "Can be" doesn't translate it "will be" and in vast majority of cases it is perfectly fine, with notable exception being recent Trump's travel ban that saw a number of green card holders that were at least temporarily denied entrance back into US.

It is solely up to you to weigh your risk / reward situation. 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Losing an I-551 (e.g. green card) would also be a problem too. Surely the advice is not to travel until one has a USA passport.

LPRs can get a re-entry letter or boarding foil from a US embassy. The situation is a lot less clear for AP card holders, who have basically no status.

See: 

7 minutes ago, PolskaKielbasia said:

LPRs can get a re-entry letter or boarding foil from a US embassy. The situation is a lot less clear for AP card holders, who have basically no status.

See: 

There have been people who lost their AP card while overseas and were turned away at the embassy as they couldn't provide assistance. There are stories here on VJ.

Not a newbie but lost my old info years ago) I have been through this process before --all the way through naturalization-- This site has always been a great help to me. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
18 minutes ago, boris64 said:

There have been people who lost their AP card while overseas and were turned away at the embassy as they couldn't provide assistance. There are stories here on VJ.

Thanks.

I looked up a bunch of stories. What is interesting is the lack of followup. which doesn't bode well. Except for one: 

The resolution is that the operative phrase is "HUMANITARIAN PAROLE" to use with the USA embassy.

I think I will look into my wife getting a multi-year entry visa for Mexico just in case.  Fly to MEX (somehow), get to Juarez and walk across.

Yikes!

12 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Thanks.

I looked up a bunch of stories. What is interesting is the lack of followup. which doesn't bode well. Except for one: 

The resolution is that the operative phrase is "HUMANITARIAN PAROLE" to use with the USA embassy.

I think I will look into my wife getting a multi-year entry visa for Mexico just in case.  Fly to MEX (somehow), get to Juarez and walk across.

Yikes!

But that person had some serious pull and still almost didn't get back))))) Double Yikes))))

Not a newbie but lost my old info years ago) I have been through this process before --all the way through naturalization-- This site has always been a great help to me. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
1 hour ago, adri80 said:

Use it. Travel where you want to .. apart from Cuba  I think  !! Get USPS informed delivery so you can see any mail arriving from USCIS .. arrange  for friend  or family to collect your mail. Enjoy  the trip. Don’t lose the AP Card or your passport if you can avoid it. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.