MikeyM7106

Any K1 applicants having trouble or had trouble with getting a social?

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

Hello all, we received our K1 visa and my fiance(now wife) entered the US on February 26th and we got married on March 31st. I've been to 2 different social security offices a total of 6 times and I am losing my mind over this because they keep giving me conflicting information and pretty much send me on my way. They've told me they can't take her admission record number on the i94 and that they need her A number which is no where on the visa and supposedly it is supposed to be in the visa. They've tried using every number listed on the visa and say that it doesn't come up in their system. I've contacted USCIS and at first they gave me a different number to contact and that number rings twice and then hangs up. I tried calling back and they said they're escalating my call and someone will call me back in 3 hours. Has anyone here had something similar happen? I brought her passport, i94, and the application. Even that printout that states what constitutes eligibility for a SSN, but they say they're is nothing I can do until I fix USCIS part on their end.

At this point all you can do is wait for EAD and apply for SSN with that. 

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
23 minutes ago, MikeyM7106 said:

They've told me they can't take her admission record number on the i94 and that they need her A number which is no where on the visa and supposedly it is supposed to be in the visa. 

The A number should be on the I-797.

Regardless, the window for applying for an SSN an SSN is between POE and marriage, usually within 2 weeks of POE. I don't think I've read a single example of getting an SSN after marriage and/or close to expiration of the K-1.

But bring the I-797 to the SS office and try again.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Just now, treppenwitz said:

It's the number in red on the K-1 visa:

visaSample1.jpg&key=b1deb850d732afd9c3ee

That's the VISA Number, not A number. The number in red on my visa doesn't even start with an A.

Is there a USCIS Number?   It does not start with an A  it is 8 or 9 digits.  If it is 8 digits add a 0 to the front of it.

It should be on the NOA2 also, again not necessarily with an A in front of it.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Timeline

I found the A number and went back. Now there is a status mismatch error in the system. Still waiting for uscis to call me back. SS office says the error isn't on their end. This sucks because I'm trying to have my wife set up before I go on military service for a month. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Costa Rica
Timeline
3 hours ago, MikeyM7106 said:

I found the A number and went back. Now there is a status mismatch error in the system. Still waiting for uscis to call me back. SS office says the error isn't on their end. This sucks because I'm trying to have my wife set up before I go on military service for a month. 

We went to apply for SSN about 4 weeks after POE and about 3.5 weeks after marriage.  At first the lady said she didn't think K1 was eligible for an SSN, but just as I was about to pull out the eligibility sheet and prove her wrong, she brought it up on her monitor and discovered that K1s are eligible.  She then input his information but the system said there was an immigration status mismatch.  She tried changing a few things and then called over a colleague to help.  The colleague corrected a bunch of mistakes she'd made with the dates (his passport shows DD/MM/YYYY, not the U.S. MM/DD/YYYY).  This still didn't work and they told me that it kept saying there was a mismatch with his immigration status.  She told me she would submit it, but it would require a manual verification and that it would take 4-6 weeks and we would either receive the card in the mail or we would receive a letter explaining why he was ineligible for a card.  Nearly exactly 4 weeks later he received a letter stating that his card had been mailed, and the next day received the actual card in the mail.

As far as I understand, it is out of USCIS' hands at this point, and if you have a status mismatch, you would need to contact the Dept. of Homeland Security, because they are the ones who admit you into the country via Customs and Border Patrol.  Perhaps you can go back to the SS office and request that they submit your application for manual verification even though it shows a status mismatch, because as far as I can tell, that's what they did with my husband's case and someone from DHS had to manually look it up and verify that yes, he is here legally, and yes, he is allowed to receive an SSN.

Also, just a note that the number that appears on my husband's passport in the "passport number" field is not the number that appears on his I-94 as his passport number.  His I-94 shows a number which is listed in his passport as a "passport book number", or something like that, and that number appears on each page, 'written' with little holes laser-cut through the page so you can read the number when the page is held up to the light.  The number that shows as his "passport number" on his passport is the same as his national ID number, and it was the same on his previous passport.  The "passport book number" is a unique number which changes when he renews his passport.  Anyway, I don't know if your wife's passport is similar, but maybe?  If it is the case, maybe ask them to try looking her up using the passport number that her I-94 shows, rather than what her passport shows.  Perhaps a long shot, but maybe take a look at her passport and her I-94 just in case.

2018 K1 Filing to Approval: 322 days (RFE 29 Days)

Spoiler

I-129F mailed: Jan 26 2018

NOA1: Jan 29 2018 (old site), Feb 2 2018 (new site)

RFE: Aug 30 2018 (old site updated 8/30; new site 8/31 w/email and text)

RFE hard copy: rec'd 9/4; ret'd 9/6 (old site updated 9/7; new site 9/10, no text/email)

NOA2: Oct 5 2018 [249 days]  (old site updated 10/5; new site 10/7, no text/email)

Case #: Oct 31 2018 [27 days] (called to get number, no email from NVC)

Left NVC: Nov 13 2018 

Consulate Rec'd (DHL): Nov 19 2018

CEAC 'Ready' status: Nov 29 2018

Interview: Dec 17 2018 [Approved!]

POE: Jan 10 2019 [Los Angeles]

Marriage: Jan 12 2019 :wub::dance:

2019 AOS Filing to Approval: 81 Days (No RFE, No Expedite)

Spoiler

AOS Mailed: Feb 19 2019

NOA1: Feb 25 2019 (I-485, I-765, I-131)

Biometrics Appt. Letter Rcv'd: Mar 8 2019

Biometrics Appointment: Mar 20 2019

Recv'd Interview Appt. Notice: Apr 15 2019 [I-485] (ready to schedule 4/10, scheduled 4/11; old site)

Interview: May 17 2019 [Cleveland, OH]

Approved: May 17 2019  :dance:

Green Card Received: May 24 2019

2021 ROC Filing to Approval: 534 Days (LIN; No RFE, No Interview)

Spoiler

ROC Mailed: Mar 5 2021 (delivered 3/12)

NOA1: Apr 5 2021 (txt rcvd 4/7, check cashed 4/7, mail rcvd 4/9) 

Biometrics Re-used Notice Rcv'd: Apr 30 2021

Approved: Sep 21 2022 :dance:

Green Card Received: Sep 28 2022

2022 N400 Filing to Oath: 154 Days (Cleveland Field Office; No RFE)

Spoiler

N400 Submitted: Jun 16 2022 (online)

NOA1: Jun 16 2022 (rcv'd snail mail 6/24)

Biometrics Re-used Notice Rcv'd: Jun 16 2022 (rcv'd snail mail 6/24)

Interview Scheduled: Sep 6 2022 (cancelled due to A-file not arrived in time)

Interview Re-scheduled: Oct 21 2022

Approved: Oct 21 2022 :dance:

Oath Ceremony: Nov 16 2022 :wow:🇺🇸

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to SSN forum, from K1 P&P - As the subject is about SSN~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 4/15/2019 at 11:55 AM, MikeyM7106 said:

Hello all, we received our K1 visa and my fiance(now wife) entered the US on February 26th and we got married on March 31st. I've been to 2 different social security offices a total of 6 times and I am losing my mind over this because they keep giving me conflicting information and pretty much send me on my way. They've told me they can't take her admission record number on the i94 and that they need her A number which is no where on the visa and supposedly it is supposed to be in the visa. They've tried using every number listed on the visa and say that it doesn't come up in their system. I've contacted USCIS and at first they gave me a different number to contact and that number rings twice and then hangs up. I tried calling back and they said they're escalating my call and someone will call me back in 3 hours. Has anyone here had something similar happen? I brought her passport, i94, and the application. Even that printout that states what constitutes eligibility for a SSN, but they say they're is nothing I can do until I fix USCIS part on their end.

OMG! I have the same issue. My husband and I just applied for my SSN yesterday and the lady said she can't see my immigration status on the government website. And that I should contact the immigration to update my status. She said she can process my SS application, it's just that it will be thru my maiden name. I came here Feb 27, married April 6, got our marriage cert April 18 and applied for my SS on the same day because we want to apply together with our marriage cert with my new married name (so we won't have to go back again to change name) but to our surprise, the lady from the SS office said she can't find my status. It's very stressful to be honest. This us thru the immigrations end. I read online that there are some couples who file for SSN after getting married and they did not had any problems. 

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Hi!

I had troubles getting my SSN and ended up not getting one. 

At first the worker told me I wasnt elegible for a SSN with my K1 visa, I went again a week after with evidence that I was elegible ( So I actually applied 1 month after POE). I waited 4 weeks went back to the office they told me to wait 2 more weeks. Went back after the 2 weeks but this was 15 days before my I-94 expired. She told me it was still at DHS and some days later they called me that they couldn’t give me a SSN because my I-94 was about to expire. And I have to wait until I receive either EAD or GC. Frustrating but real smh. 

However, my husband is also in the military and he could get me a temporary military ID for 3 months without a SSN. 

Edited by Icamarn

Timeline
13 hours ago, Icamarn said:

Hi!

I had troubles getting my SSN and ended up not getting one. 

At first the worker told me I wasnt elegible for a SSN with my K1 visa, I went again a week after with evidence that I was elegible ( So I actually applied 1 month after POE). I waited 4 weeks went back to the office they told me to wait 2 more weeks. Went back after the 2 weeks but this was 15 days before my I-94 expired. She told me it was still at DHS and some days later they called me that they couldn’t give me a SSN because my I-94 was about to expire. And I have to wait until I receive either EAD or GC. Frustrating but real smh. 

However, my husband is also in the military and he could get me a temporary military ID for 3 months without a SSN. 

Thanks so much all of you for the input. If this is my situation which I hope not then I will have to request an expedite on the EAD. My military unit is one that can deploy anytime and I cannot leave if she has no finances, no id, etc. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Part 7. Complete Only If Applying for Advance Parole

On a separate sheet of paper, explain how you quality for Advance Parole Document and what circumstances warrant issuance of advance parole. Include copies of any documents you wish considered.

-》 Hi AOS April 2019 fillers, I just want to ask what you did on this part of the AP form? And what documents did u attach? 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.