Hotter Otter

Visiting Visa While IR1-CR1 Is Pending

1,029 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Well, technically as soon as the I-130 is filed, the beneficiary could go to the US as a tourist and decide to file the I-485 to go with it.

From the reading I've done, I get the impression that would be considered "visa fraud", as the beneficiary's intent at time of entry was not tourism, but to immigrate permanently.

From the reading I've done, I get the impression that would be considered "visa fraud", as the beneficiary's intent at time of entry was not tourism, but to immigrate permanently.

Yes, it is fraud to arrive as a temporary visitor with the secret intent to immigrate. That's why tourist visas are denied so much, because it's something they want to prevent happening.

ROC from CR-1 visa (Green Card expiration date was Nov 24th 2016)

Link to the evidence I submitted. Be sure to send evidence spanning your entire marriage (especially for K-1) or as far back as you can. Just one or two bank statements will not cut it. I primarily focused on the two years of living here since I came in on a CR-1. If you don't have the fundamentals (i.e. joint accounts/policies), you can explain why in the covering letter. E.g. "While we do not have joint utilities, we both contribute to them from our joint bank account".

September 26th 2016: I-751 package sent to CSC

September 28th 2016: Package delivered
September 30th 2016: Check cashed
October 3rd 2016: NOA1 received with receipt date of 09/28/16
November 3rd 2016: Biometrics received with appointment date of 11/14/16.
November 14th 2016: Attended biometrics appointment
October 30th 2017: Infopass appointment to get I-551 stamp
February 26th 2018: I-751 case number (aka the NOA1 receipt number) becomes trackable
March 14th 2018: Submitted service request due to being outside of processing time.

March 15th 2018: ROC approved. 535 days (1 year, 5 months and 17 days)

March 29th 2018: Card being produced

April 4th 2018: Card mailed out

April 6th 2018: Card in hand. Has incorrect "resident since" date. Submitted service request on I-751 case (typographical error on permanent resident card) and an I-90 online.

April 2018 - August 7th 2018: Tons of service requests, emails and now senator involvement to get my corrected green card back because what the heck, USCIS. Also some time in May I sent a letter to Potomac telling them I want to withdraw my I-90 since CSC were handling it.

August 8th 2018: Card in production thanks to the direct involvement of Senator Sherrod Brown's team

August 13th 2018: Card mailed

August 15th 2018: Card in hand with correct date. :joy:

October 31st 2018: Potomac sends out a notice stating they have closed out my I-90 per my request. Yay for no duplicate card drama.

We've got flights booked for 23rd Sept going from Manchester to Dublin then JFK.

Won't be returning til January 13th unless I get my interview date, will they see this as a problem?

Really hoping they won't deny me entry but I don't think they will because my honest real intention is to return for my interview in London.

My wife is really anxious about the whole thing, who will be traveling with me.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

One off topic post removed.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Spain
Timeline

We've got flights booked for 23rd Sept going from Manchester to Dublin then JFK.

Won't be returning til January 13th unless I get my interview date, will they see this as a problem?

Really hoping they won't deny me entry but I don't think they will because my honest real intention is to return for my interview in London.

My wife is really anxious about the whole thing, who will be traveling with me.

I am pretty sure you won't have problems.

Since I started my visa journey back in January 2013, Ive travelled three times to California. The longest stay was for one month on my holidays.

Everything went smoothly the three times.

One of them I went to the US with my husband and no problems at all either. The only small problem was I got my passport control alone through all passport lines and had to wait much time. My husband went through the American passport lines and took only 5 minutes.

I recommend you to be prepared though. Bring documents to show your ties to the UK, just in case....

I-751 ROC
2016-08-31 I-751 form sent to USCIS
2016-09-02 NOA 1
2016-10-13 Biometrics appointment

N-400

2017-08-31 Filed N-400 online

2017-08-31 Receipt Notice

2017-09-18 Biometrics Appointment

I am pretty sure you won't have problems.

Since I started my visa journey back in January 2013, Ive travelled three times to California. The longest stay was for one month on my holidays.

Everything went smoothly the three times.

One of them I went to the US with my husband and no problems at all either. The only small problem was I got my passport control alone through all passport lines and had to wait much time. My husband went through the American passport lines and took only 5 minutes.

I recommend you to be prepared though. Bring documents to show your ties to the UK, just in case....

Thanks for your response :)

I recently flew home to Houston to be in my best friend's wedding. My husband flew after me separately to attend and was in the U.S. for fewer than 72 hours (due to his job, ugh) in order to be able to go with me and meet her, her husband and their families for the first time. I was worried before the trip, but he had absolutely no problem getting through at the airport. It was such a wonderful weekend and I'm so glad he was able to come. Here are the details:

POE: Houston (IAH) on Sept. 5 around 6:30 a.m.

Any questions asked?: The agent asked him what his plans were. He said he was going to a wedding. That was it!! It was his easiest entry yet. He was prepared with the wedding invitation, a letter from his boss, proof of future travel back to and within Latin America and original visa papers from both USCIS and NVC, but none of it was needed. Better safe than sorry!

Visa: He'd had a tourist visa since 2009; in fact, he had to renew it in 2013 a few months before we got married, so it's good for 10 years from that date. Of course if all goes as planned, he'll never have to use it again!

Previous trips before this one?: Yes, two to Houston and one to Los Angeles. Even the longest of these trips was not long at all-- fewer than two weeks.

I hope this post is helpful to those who have spouses from non visa waiver countries. I do think my husband's previous trips helped, especially since they were all brief. I'm not sure he would have had the same POE experience had it been his first-ever trip to the United States, simply because of the fact that he's Colombian and is going through the CR-1 process. But it remains unclear to us whether or not the CR-1 stuff popped up on the screen when they ran his passport.

USCIS (Priority date April 1, Approval April 17, no RFEs)

March 28, 2014: I-130 sent via FedEx from Bogotá to Chicago Lockbox

April 1, 2014: Delivered to Chicago Lockbox at 10:29 a.m. according to FedEx tracking; signed for by J. CHYBA (date confirmed by My Case Status)

April 4, 2014: NOA1 e-mail received at 12:17 a.m.; case accepted and routed to CSC for processing. Check cashed.

April 17, 2014: Changed mailing address with USCIS Tier 2 representative. He also confirmed that our case had arrived to the CSC and that our NOA1 date is April 3.

April 18, 2014: NOA2 e-mail received at 12:30 a.m. Case status online changed to post-decision activity; date of "last updated" changed to April 17. Change of address e-mail received at 3 a.m. Status changed back to initial review on e-mail and online. Date of "last updated" now April 18. Called and spoke to two Tier 2 reps; both were useless.

April 21, 2014: Approval confirmed verbally by Tier 2 rep. Order put in to send second NOA2 hard copy to new address. Instructed to ignore online case status.

April 25 or 26, 2014: NOA1 hard copy arrives to old apartment in Bogotá. Priority date actually April 1. (April 3 was the notice date.)

May 16: USCIS change of address e-mail received

May 19: USCIS e-mail received saying a duplicate notice was mailed on this date. Case status now set to "Acceptance."

May 22: NOA2 duplicate hard copy arrives to U.S. address

NVC

April 29, 2014: Case received

​May 22, 2014: Case number and IIN assigned. Asked operator about our move from Colombia to Argentina and received instructions.

May 24, 2014: E-mails about embassy change/address change sent to nvcinquiry@state.gov at 4:36 p.m. NVC time

​June 3, 2014: Payment portal message "This case is in the process of termination" appears. DS-261 appears, submitted. E-mails received from NVC concerning case number and AOS bill.

June 4, 2014: AOS payment invoiced, paid; DS-261 received by NVC

June 6, 2014: AOS payment shows as PAID in payment portal

June 17, 2014: Response received from nvcinquiry@state.gov. "The correspondence submitted is currently under review. An appropriate action will be taken once this review is completed."

June 24, 2014: AOS package sent via FedEx overnight shipping from Houston to NVC

June 25, 2014: AOS package delivered at 9:43 a.m. according to FedEx tracking; signed for by F.FNU

July 1, 2014: AOS package scanned

July 18, 2014: Checked payment portal and saw: "CASE NUMBER CHANGE: The applicant's case number, [bGT#], has been changed to [bNS#]." Called and confirmed. Also said today marked 30 business days since NVC received DS-261; operator said she would have that reviewed and make IV payment available ASAP.

August 5: E-mail sent to nvcinquiry@state.gov concerning changing our embassy BACK to Bogotá at 6:41 p.m. NVC time

August 6: IV invoice e-mail FINALLY received at 2:13 a.m. NVC time

August 7: IV payment made available on payment portal; paid

August 8: IV payment shows as PAID in payment portal; DS-260 becomes available

August 14: Checklist received; errors on sponsor's I-864 form and on joint sponsor's I-864A

August 15: DS-260 submitted

August 29: Checklist response and IV package sent via FedEx ground from Houston to NVC

September 4: Checklist response and IV package delivered at 11:21 a.m. according to FedEx tracking; signed for by GPETERS

September 8: Checklist response and IV package scanned

September 10: DS-260 accepted; false checklist received

September 17: E-mail response received from asknvc@state.gov (30 business days/43 calendar days later): Correspondence under review

September 26: Embassy change approved; new case number assigned

October 30: CASE COMPLETE

Embassy

Interview scheduled: Nov. 10 -- Medical: Nov. 25 -- Interview: Dec. 1, 9:30 a.m. APPROVED! -- Visa in hand: Dec. 5 -- POE: Dec. 29 in Houston

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

So just thought I would write about my own experiences. I live in Vancouver and my husband in Seattle. We have been married for 2.5 yrs and together for 6. I am currently in graduate school, aiming to complete my thesis by march/april 2015.

Since my husband moved to Seattle 4 years ago, we are able to see each other every weekend. He usually drives up 3 times a month and I take the bus down about once a month. I've never been denied entry even throughout the whole visa process. I always take my return ticket and a letter of enrolment from school. I don't have a rental agreement because i've been month to month for a while now. I think only once a border agent has asked to see my return ticket. I have had questions about what stage I am in during the immigration process, but that's been it.

I was originally hoping to be complete the whole visa/immigration process by November, but because the NVC is taking FOREVER and because i've made a few mistakes on the application, a realistic interview date for me is likely January/February next year. Despite this, in December, since I will be writing up my thesis and will no longer need to be physically at school daily, I plan to spend most of my time in Seattle. I think I will have to go up to Vancouver about 1-2 times a month for a few days to meet with my supervisor. I'm thinking that even if I do get denied at the border, I'll just stay with a friend for a few days and try again...So hopefully it works out for me!

USCIS

13 NOV 13 – NOA1

15 JUN 14 – NOA2

NVC

27 JUN 14 – Obtained Case # from Operator

10 JUL 14 – paid AOS Bill

13 JUL 14 – Submitted DS-261

10 AUG 14 – Submitted AOS package

06 SEPT 14 – Resubmitted corrected AOS package

27 AUG 14 – Re set date of DS-261

08 SEP 14 – AOS scanned – told to wait 60 bd

17 SEP 14 – IV fee available and paid

22 OCT 14 - IV package scanned

11 DEC 14 - Case complete!! (phoned on dec 12th and found out) Also interview scheduled!

12 DEC 14 - Interview scheduled for Jan 8, 2015

08 JAN 15 - Interview in Montreal...APPROVED!

15 JAN 15 - WayBill # Received

19 JAN 15 - Picked up passport!

21 JAN 15 - Potential POE

I thought I would share my experiences so far and write about my upcoming travel plans.

First off - I have a South African passport but am a New Zealand resident.

I met my USC partner back in 2011 in NZ. We decided to go to the US in 2013 so I was able to apply and get my US tourist visa end 2012. As we had no intent back then to immigrate, purely a holiday to the US as I had never been, had no problems at POE in LAX.

Long story short, I loved my trip to the US and my partner had been wanting to return for the longest time. So we got married in 2013 after DOMA was repealed and initiated the green card process expecting 5 months as we had no idea back then about how long it would take. Eventually got NOA1 then NOA2 in end May 2014. We thought we were close to getting it now as we were at NVC stage, so he left to return to the US in June'14 to reestablish domicile and get a job. WRONG again on processing time, lol!

So in August'14 we decided for me to do a last minute trip to visit him as our 1 year anniversary was coming up.

I was nervous as we were in the NVC stage, AOS fee paid and waiting for IV fee to be billed. I did as recommended on all that I had read on VJ- got a letter from work stating I only had specified leave and was expected back, printed proof of funds. Printed NOA2 letter. Well after 12 hour flight (LAX POE) I was tired, had to wait more than an hour to get to the front of the queue and my nerves were acting up. Well to my relief was the easiest ever - customs official asked:

- Intention (A: vacation and visit family)

- How long (A: just under three weeks, said return date)

- When last was I in the USA (A: feb 2013)

When I was having my photo taken or face scanned whatever, the officer told me to relax and not be so nervous!

That was it. I can't remember if he asked to see my return ticket or if I volunteered but the rest of the documents were definitely not looked at.

Plus adding to my stress was that I had paid for an extra bag inbound but not outbound and I brought all my original docs for the IV stage - I would have had a hard time if I had of gone to stage 2 interview I think. We also went on a cruise for our anniversary as we did not honeymoon and I had no problems reentering the US in Miami.

But I am now worried again as last week we decided that the distance thing is not working at all for us, especially with no firm end date in sight to work towards and so we are in the beginning stages of me planning another trip - this time to wait it out there with him till interview time. So I will need to quit my job and I already don't rent with a lease agreement. I will have a return flexi-fare though. The only real ties I will have is that I have paid all the fees to immigrate legally and definitely intend to go back to NZ to complete the process and have the interview.

I think that only factor we are now weighing up is that are we fully prepared to lose the expensive airfare if I am turned back. I know that we are close to the end but as a couple we used to spend 99% of our non-work time together so it feels worth the risk as we could be apart for at least till sometime in December earliest. I don't want to miss thanksgiving, his birthday and potentially Christmas and new year. Sigh. I at least have a place to stay if I am turned around. And by what I have read here it seems the odds are more in favour of getting through than being turned back (held to the whims of a custom official's mood!!)

I still have some time to think about this before making a decision! Like I say, we are well aware of the risks but just wanted to share our story.

Good luck to all those still waiting!!

22 Oct 13: Courier left Auckland

25 Oct 13: Arrived Chicago Lockbox

25 Oct 13: NOA1 priority date

30 Oct 13: Email NOA1

30 Oct 13: Petition transfered to Nebraska

05 Nov 13: Online status of petition updated from received to Initial review

08 Nov 13: NOA1 received in the post

17 May 14: NOA2

04 June 14: NVC received.

24 June 14: Case # & IIN assigned.

10 July 14: AOS bill invoiced

10 July 14: Paid AOS bill and completed DS-261

05 Sept 14: Received and paid IV bill

16 Sept 14: Sent IV package

19 Sept 14: NVC scanned IV package

30 Sept 14: Sent AOS package

02 Oct 14: NVC scanned AOS package

20 Nov 14: AOS and IV package checklist (found out when phoned NVC 24 Nov)

24 Nov 14: Spoke to local consulate about case. They agreed to request it from NVC

02 Dec 14: Checked status on CEAC website, case is now at Auckland consulate (or en route)

16 Dec 14: Green Card Approved

19 Dec 14: POE

ROC

23 Oct 16: Mailed packet to Vermont service center

26 Oct 16: Received at Vermont service

31 Oct 16: Cashed check

31 Oct 16: Received NOA1 in the mail. Receipt date 10/27/2016

17 Nov 16: Received Biometrics appointment letter in mail, notice date 11/12/2016

28 Nov 16: Biometrics Appointment

18 Sept 17: ROC Approved

23 Sept 17: Received I-797 Notice of Action - ROC approved in the mail

Naturalization:

11 Nov 17: Filed N400 online

11 Nov 17: NOA online

07 Dec 17: Biometrics appointment scheduled. Actually went on 12/6/17

22 Jan 18: Interview Letter

05 Mar 18: Interview date

06 Apr 18: Oath Ceremony

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

Completely false. Fire that attorney.

I am telling you

At the Boston POE, the officers don't permit to get in if you have a I-130 or K3 in progress.

They keep your ESTA (ban of 10 yrs) and let you go back to your origin country on the same day.

It is considered a lie to an officer (federal crime) to pass with an ESTA, having a I-130 or K3 in progress.

This is what the Chief of the CBP of the POE of Boston airport told us.

Then you can say whatever you want, but i trust the chief of the POE.

Have a nice day.

Feb 12, 2014 I-130 Initial review
Mar 3, 2014 I-129F K3 Initial review
July 12, 2014 end of the timeline that Nebraska indicate for NOA2
Sep 09, USCIS contacted, delay of time due to "security checks"
Sep 15, Senator take care about my case
Sep 20, same answer to my senator from USCIS
Sept 25, I-130 and K3 has been approved!
Oct 15, I-130 sent to NVC from USCIS.
Oct 21, I-130 received by NVC.
Waiting to have a number from NVC and the timelimit of 30 days has gone
48 days and no case number received yet.
Nov 10, expedite sent from Office' Senator to NVC
Nov 12, Case number assigned!
Nov 13, AoS Bill received
Nov 21, bypassed NVC to Naples Consulate.
Dec 09 medical exam
Dec 10 interview and Visa approved

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Namibia
Timeline

Has anyone gone through POE at JFK International Airport in New York?

My husband is picking up his tourist visa next week. I wanted to file the I-130 shortly thereafter (was purposely waiting for his tourist visa approval) but now I am absolutely terrified beyond terrified that he gets turned away if the I-130 is in process. Do the officers have record of an I-130 in progress? Should I wait until after the holidays to file it? I really wanted to get the process started but not if it in any way jeopardizes his entry into the States for the holidays.

06.21.13 : Met in Namibia

06.21.14 : Married in Namibia (L)

USCIS

• 10.11.14 : Submitted I-130 via DHL from Namibia to Chicago Lockbox
  • 10.15.14 : Petition Received (according to online case status)
  • 10.20.14 : NOA1 (received initially via e-mail); Case Transferred to California Service Center
  • 10.31.14 : NOA2 (received initially via e-mail); Case Transferred to NVC (11 days from NOA1)

NVC

• 12.11.14 : Case # and IIN # received from NVC via e-mail
  • 12.11.14 : DS-261 Choice of Agent Form Generated (notified via e-mail) & Submitted
  • 12.11.14 : AOS Fee Invoice Generated (notified via e-mail)
  • 12.24.14 : AOS Fee Paid
  • 01.13.15 : IV Fee Invoice Generated (notified via e-mail)
  • 01.24.15 : IV Fee Paid

*** Intentionally Delayed Further Submission ***

• 09.26.15 : DS-260 Submitted
  • 10.20.15 : AOS & IV Packages Submitted
  • 10.22.15: AOS & IV Packages Received by NVC (scan date)
  • 12.2.15: Cased Closed at NVC - Received Interview Date for January 14

EMBASSY

• 12.18.15: Medical Completed in Johannesburg

*** Intentionally Delayed Interview ***

• 01.20.16: New Interview Date Scheduled for March 17
  • 03.14.16 & 03.15.16: New Medical Completed (First one would expire before our preferred date of entry!)
  • 03.17.16 Interview in Johannesburg - successful!
  • 04.02.16 Visa received (Expires 9/14/16)
  • 07.11.16 USCIS ELIS fee paid
  • 08.26.16 Date of Entry (POE Boston)

Has anyone gone through POE at JFK International Airport in New York?

My husband is picking up his tourist visa next week. I wanted to file the I-130 shortly thereafter (was purposely waiting for his tourist visa approval) but now I am absolutely terrified beyond terrified that he gets turned away if the I-130 is in process. Do the officers have record of an I-130 in progress? Should I wait until after the holidays to file it? I really wanted to get the process started but not if it in any way jeopardizes his entry into the States for the holidays.

I see on the previous page that you also live abroad with your spouse and assume this is the trip you'll be making together. The two of us have entered at JFK together, but our experience doesn't completely answer your question since we haven't yet submitted the I-130.

In case it helps, though, here's the post where I wrote about it, along with how we go through immigration together and what evidence we bring: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/479894-yes-you-can-visit-ir1-cr1-version/?p=6849607

Edited by awaywego

2012: Married
2014 2016 2017: I-130 packet direct to Frankfurt

Frankfurt's "steps" to DCF:

Step 1: I-130 Petition Checklist (PDF, from their USCIS page)

Step 2: Immigrant/Fiance(e) & K-Visa Applicant Checklist (PDF, from their Appointment & Interview page)

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

I posted in the NVC Filers thread, but thought I'd post my experience here too:

My DH has entered the USA from Dublin twice this year

Once in February for 6 weeks

Once in June for 80 days

We had a flight booked and he intended to come back through to stay until called for his interview and then to return to Dublin.

When leaving from Dublin you go through customs IN Dublin airport before boarding.

The immigration officer noted his previous entries and pulled him aside. They went to a small interview room and supervisors were called in. He had all of his paperwork showing his visa process and they were not suspicious of his intent to remain past his visitor visa, but they told him that because you can only remain in the USA for 183 days in a calendar year before you must have residency. This third entry was likely to put him over that 183 day limit so he was turned away. He now has to wait in Dublin until called for his interview.

I originally applied for the K3 visa, which was converted to the IR-1 only 2 days before his flight. The K3 allows entry during processing and the IR-1 does not. You can enter on a visitor visa during the IR-1 but not if the amount of time is over 183 days in a year.

This sucks! We have a young family and now he's going to miss both our girls birthdays and our youngest learning to walk and other major milestones. I'm devastated we have to be separated because they converted our original application and there is no one I can actually TALK to in order to explain our personal situation. I understand it's impossible to review each cases details, but the reason why I applied for the K3 in the first place was to avoid lengthy separation times.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I got my b1/b2 renewed. I had to do this because of work, but now the business trip has been postponed due to budget reasons, until Jan 2015.

I would like to visit my husband in Thanksgiving... but he is too scared and says we should not try. He knows it will not complicate the process of our i130 if i get sent back, but still would hate for me to go through that. Lawyer says I should not try to visit if i can avoid it. I have heard stories of Mexicans being turned back at the POE but I don't know of successful ones.. would really like to hear from South American countries..

Thanks

UnaMexicana

post-189106-0-09621800-1412291382_thumb.jpg

:yes:Intelligence trumps muscle... Imagination trumps both! :yes:

IR-1/CR-1 Visa
Service Center : Nebraska Service Center
Consulate : Cd. Juarez, Mexico
Met: January, 2006 :D
Marriage (if applicable): 2012-10-26 (L)
I-130 Sent : 2014-08-01
I-130 NOA1 : 2014-08-04

I-130 NOA2 : 2015-05-14

Shipped to DoS: 2015-05-22

Received at NVC: 2015-06-01

Case Created at NVC: 2015-06-10 (from Julian Date calculation)

AOS and IV Fee Invoiced: 2015-06-11
AOS and IV Fee Paid: Website down as of 06-15... Just waiting...
AOS and IV Fee Paid: 2015-07-05 CEAC site finally UP! :dancing:

AOS and Civil Docs received at NVC: 2015-10-13

NVC checklist for obsolete i864: 2015-11-25

Submit updated i864: ?????? when my lawyer desires... :clock:
Submit updated i864: Did NOT wait for lawywer. Did it myself 2015-12-10
NVC received reply to checklist i864: 2015-12-10 (yes.. same day O.O)

NVC case completed: 2016-01-07
NVC assigned interview date: 2016-01-23
Interview at CJS consulate: 2016-03-30

Visa "Issued": 2016-04-05
Entered the US: 2016-04-27

SSN Arrived: 2016-05-07 ... wow TEN days!

N-400

Filed Online: 2020-06-30

NOA: 2020-07-01

Biometrics Letter: 2021-04-08
Biometrics Appointment: 2021-05-03
Interview Scheduled/Cancelled: 2021-06-25 (never received online nor mail notification, just an email reply to tier 2 inquiry about status)

Interview ReScheduled: 2021-11-02

Interview Date: 2021-11-30

Oath ceremony Scheduled/Cancelled/Placed in Line: 2021-12-01
Oath: 2022-1-24 ... JOURNEY OVER! 😺

event.png

event.png

We got married last Saturday and I returned home overnight Tuesday/Wednesday of this week. We were originally planning to get married next year when he has finished school and hopefully making decent enough money to afford a nice ceremony. But we decided we couldn't wait any longer and had a quickie (8-minute!) wedding last Saturday.

When I arrived (POE LAX) I said I was there to visit my boyfriend. No further questions asked and passport stamped. This is my 8th visit in 2 years. The longest each visit has been is 2.5 weeks. Normally just a week. I'd rather go often and for shorter periods than less often for longer periods. I have always left when I said I would. And I have never lied about going to see a cousin or old school friend, or whatever stupid stories have been suggested on another forum I frequent.

I plan to go back in December for his family Christmas party. What do I say when I arrive? I usually enter through different POEs because I just take whatever ticket I can find that is the cheapest. I hope they don't think that's suspicious. I always have onward tickets to the same final destination, just a different way of getting there each time. Do I say I'm going to see my husband? We have not yet started the CR1 but we may have by then. I hope we have anyway.

What is anyone's experience of travelling post-marriage but pre-CR1? Are they likely to think it's suspicious if we have not started the CR1 yet? Money is the reason we haven't started it yet. He doesn't earn enough and we are softly, softly approaching his stepmother to ask her to co-sponsor.

Edited by JFH

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.