Meryem467

Driver's License

46 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this question, but here it goes: My husband arrived on a K1 visa on 2/10/19. We are trying to get his driver's license but are finding so much conflicting information. Firstly, he does not speak English well, but we recently found out he can take the test in Arabic. Now someone told me that even if he gets his license, it will expire on the same date as his I94 which would be 5/10/19. It doesn't seem worth all the trouble for him to only be able to drive two months. Then I'm guessing we have to wait for the green card for him to get another driver's license. Is that correct? 

We currently live in Tennessee but are moving to Mississippi in the next two months. Are the rules in Mississippi any different? I've read he would have been able to drive for a year if he had gotten an international driving permit in Morocco, but, alas, he did not do that. Any advice? 

You’ll want to look into your specific states dmv rules.

Usually, you can get a license with ead (1 year validity) or wait for green card. 

The international driving permit is nothing but a translation. Once he came in with a k1, he has intention to be a resident so he has to follow the residents rules for licenses. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I wouldn't worry about a full on drivers license yet, because like you said it's only good for a few months. My K1 fiancee, now wife and I decided to get her a State ID, and make it real ID compliant. around 10 bucks to get the state ID, so being valid for only 2-3 months isn't too bad, but it will get you in the system so when you get ready to move, or get a license in another state it will make it easier as you will have an ID already. Plus it's better than carrying around a passport all the time. And if he wants to do anything age restricted such as buy alcohol he will have something to show, even after it expires no one looks that close at it, so you will still get some use out of it, if just to prove age.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Timeline
13 minutes ago, Loren Y said:

I wouldn't worry about a full on drivers license yet, because like you said it's only good for a few months. My K1 fiancee, now wife and I decided to get her a State ID, and make it real ID compliant. around 10 bucks to get the state ID, so being valid for only 2-3 months isn't too bad, but it will get you in the system so when you get ready to move, or get a license in another state it will make it easier as you will have an ID already. Plus it's better than carrying around a passport all the time. And if he wants to do anything age restricted such as buy alcohol he will have something to show, even after it expires no one looks that close at it, so you will still get some use out of it, if just to prove age.

Thanks for the advice but he really wants to be driving! 

Check the DMV for the state you're moving to.  The rules really vary (here in Washington, my husband had no issue in getting his license for the regular 5 years).

International driving license has little meaning in the US when someone comes here intending to become a permanent resident.

Timeline
43 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

Check the DMV for the state you're moving to.  The rules really vary (here in Washington, my husband had no issue in getting his license for the regular 5 years).

International driving license has little meaning in the US when someone comes here intending to become a permanent resident.

Thank you. The information online is so lacking and when I call the DMV those people do not seem to know what they are talking about either. 

1 minute ago, Meryem467 said:

Thank you. The information online is so lacking and when I call the DMV those people do not seem to know what they are talking about either. 

Tennessee: https://www.tn.gov/safety/driver-services/classd/dlnew.html

Specially, see this link: https://www.tn.gov/content/tn/safety/driver-services/classd/dltemporary.html

"Valid Foreign Passport with Valid Visa and I-94 attached " covers the 90 days from entry.

"Employment Authorization Card (I-766)" covers the period once you have an EAD.

Mississippi: https://www.dmv.com/ms/mississippi/drivers-license-renewal

"The following documents establish legal presence of non-U.S. citizens:

• Permanent Resident Card AKA green card
  • Employment Authorization Certificate AKA EAD
  • Asylee/Refugee Certificate
  • Valid foreign passport stating U.S. entry AKA passport w/ visa + I-94"

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Some States have licenses for illegals and often someone waiting for EAD can get one of those.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

1 minute ago, geowrian said:

Tennessee: https://www.tn.gov/safety/driver-services/classd/dlnew.html

Specially, see this link: https://www.tn.gov/content/tn/safety/driver-services/classd/dltemporary.html

"Valid Foreign Passport with Valid Visa and I-94 attached " covers the 90 days from entry.

"Employment Authorization Card (I-766)" covers the period once you have an EAD.

Mississippi: https://www.dmv.com/ms/mississippi/drivers-license-renewal

"The following documents establish legal presence of non-U.S. citizens:

• Permanent Resident Card AKA green card
  • Employment Authorization Certificate AKA EAD
  • Asylee/Refugee Certificate
  • Valid foreign passport stating U.S. entry AKA passport w/ visa + I-94"

Thank you for sending these links, but I've already seen them. 

Neither of these sites explain if the license will expire with the I94. I've been Googling like crazy and found the SAVE program which might be useful. Do you happen to know anything about that program or how it might help to have a longer period before the license expires? 

Timeline

SAVE will show when his I94 expires, after 90 days.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
11 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Some States have licenses for illegals and often someone waiting for EAD can get one of those.

Not Tennessee and Mississippi... 

Thank you for sending these links, but I've already seen them. 

Neither of these sites explain if the license will expire with the I94. I've been Googling like crazy and found the SAVE program which might be useful. Do you happen to know anything about that program or how it might help to have a longer period before the license expires?

On what basis would one believe they would remain valid in a period without those documents?

Kind of hard to find evidence of something that doesn't exist. ;)

As others noted, some states have licenses for residents without legal status. Neither state you noted has such a program.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driver's_licenses_for_illegal_immigrants_in_the_United_States

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

Timeline

The SAVE site will show that we have applied for AOS.

Not to my knowledge but in most States that is not relevant for DL purposes.

3 hours ago, Meryem467 said:

The SAVE site will show that we have applied for AOS.

No responses that I see cover this condition (until you get an EAD):

https://save.uscis.gov/web/media/resourcesContents/SAVE_GuideToUnderstandingSAVEVerificationResponses.pdf

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

AOS:

Spoiler

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

NVC

K-1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.