Pheebs1201

Bringing a parent to the US

16 posts in this topic

I became a US Citizen last month and would like to bring my Mom to the US. I am not sure where to start as most information seems to be about bringing a spouse or child. Is there an instruction guide specifically for this? How long is the current processing times? Can anyone point me in the direction of resources? Thank you in advance.

Immigration Timeline

June 2013: Met whilst working at a summer camp in Michigan 

K1

November 1st 2014: I-129f submitted for K1 visa

February 24th 2015: Visa in hand!

February 26th 2015: POE at Las Vegas airport, then onwards to Oregon! 

March 6th 2015: Marriage (with a "real" wedding to follow next year on 7/6/2016)

March 9th 2015: AOS, EAD & AP submitted

September 22nd 2015: Interview

January 14th 2016: Two year Green card received -phew!

ROC

August 8th 2017: 90 day window begins! ROC time!

September 28th 2017: Biometric Appointment in Portland, OR

March 5th 2018: Case received by local office

August 18th 2018: 18 month extension letter mailed

December 2018: Case moved to another office

February 2019: I was emailed that I was approved and my card was in production the same day of my N400 interview 😂

N400

August 8th 2018: Window opens to submit naturalization application

August 13th 2018: N400 Application submitted online 

August 14th 2018: NOA1

September 6th 2018: Biometrics

February 6th 2019: Interview Date! APPROVED!

February 6th 2019: I was asked to return later the same day for my Oath Ceremony! :dance:

❤️ Our Visa Journey is finally complete ❤️

I am the Beneficiary

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
15 minutes ago, Pheebs1201 said:

I became a US Citizen last month and would like to bring my Mom to the US. I am not sure where to start as most information seems to be about bringing a spouse or child. Is there an instruction guide specifically for this? How long is the current processing times? Can anyone point me in the direction of resources? Thank you in advance.

First off, Congratulations! You will need to begin with filing a petition to USCIS (do this ASAP since it is a long process). You can see all the documents required and instructions on the USCIS website: https://www.uscis.gov/i-130

Good luck.

“I AM NOT AN ATTORNEY LICENSED TO PRACTICE LAW AND MAY NOT GIVE LEGAL ADVICE OR ACCEPT FEES FOR LEGAL ADVICE.”

“I AM NOT ACCREDITED TO REPRESENT YOU BEFORE THE UNITED STATES IMMIGRATION AND NATURALIZATION SERVICE AND THE IMMIGRATION BOARD OF APPEALS.”

Married: 03September2010

Beneficiary Country: Colombia

CR1 (Expedited USCIS and NVC)

NOA1: 21March2011

USCIS Expedited Approved: 21June2011

NOA2: 21June2011

NVC Expedite Approved: 14September2011

Interview: 21October2011

POE: 28October2011

I-90 (Name Change)

NOA1: 03January2012

Biometrics: 07February2012

Approved: 07February2012

ROC (Approved)

NOA1: 28October2013

Interview: 22November2013

Approved: 11March2014

***Moved back to Colombia to finish graduate studies. Wife filed I-407 (Record of Abandonment of Lawful Permanent Residence Status) at the tourist visa interview. After finishing graduate school, we decided to move back to the U.S.***

B1/B2 (Approved)

DS-160: 12June2017

Interview: 12July2017

Filed I-407: 12July2017

IR1 (Expedited USCIS and NVC)

NOA1: 09October2018

USCIS Expedite Approved: 05April2019

NOA2: 09April2019

NVC Expedite Approved: 23May2019

Interview: 10June2019

POE: 29June2019

Thank you all of the replies!

How long is the current processing time for parents?

How do I know which service center the application will be sent to following submission? Is it random or based on the state I live in?

Immigration Timeline

K1

March 6th 2015: Marriage (with a "real" wedding to follow next year on 7/6/2016)

ROC

February 2019: I was emailed that I was approved and my card was in production the same day of my N400 interview 😂

N400

February 6th 2019: I was asked to return later the same day for my Oath Ceremony! :dance:

I am the Beneficiary

6 minutes ago, Pheebs1201 said:

Thank you all of the replies!

How long is the current processing time for parents?

How do I know which service center the application will be sent to following submission? Is it random or based on the state I live in?

The I-130 takes around 10 months. Then NVC around 3-4 months before you have an interview date. Overall 12-15 months since you file the I-130.

I filed the I-130 for my mom in July 2017, interview in October 2018, landed in the US Nov 2018.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Congratulations.  Thanks for posting this because I recently became a naturalized citizen and am planning to bring my parents over as well!  Good luck in your journey! 

AOS

July 05 - AOS package sent

July 14 - NOA 1

July 25 - Biometrics Appointment Letter

July 28 - Walk in Biometrics successful

Aug 27 - Request for Expedite on EAD (Job Offer)

Sept 12 - EAD approved and in production

Sept 12 - AP is approved but USCIS status is in 'Post Decision Activity'

Sept 18 - EAD marked as mailed

April 09 - Interview - Delayed due to sealed package from civil surgeon not at local office

May 07 - GC in production

May 18 - GC in hand!!!

Feb 9 - ROC 

Feb 14 - Check Cashed

Feb 16 - NOA 1

Feb 25 - Received Biometrics Appointment

April 10 - N400 Application

April 29 - Biometrics

January 29 - Combo Interview / Recommendation for Approval 

February 20 - Oath Ceremony - NATURALIZED 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/14/2019 at 1:47 PM, USS_Voyager said:

The I-130 takes around 10 months. Then NVC around 3-4 months before you have an interview date. Overall 12-15 months since you file the I-130.

I filed the I-130 for my mom in July 2017, interview in October 2018, landed in the US Nov 2018.

Sorry for the delayed reply I haven't been on VJ for awhile. This is great news, thank you. 

Do all applications get sent to the NVC or does it depend on where you file from?

On 3/14/2019 at 3:37 PM, Lights said:

Congratulations.  Thanks for posting this because I recently became a naturalized citizen and am planning to bring my parents over as well!  Good luck in your journey! 

Yay! When are you filing?

Immigration Timeline

K1

ROC

N400

I am the Beneficiary

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, Pheebs1201 said:

Sorry for the delayed reply I haven't been on VJ for awhile. This is great news, thank you. 

Do all applications get sent to the NVC or does it depend on where you file from?

Yay! When are you filing?

We're thinking June this year.  My mum can't leave until after June.  I know that it usually takes 12-18 months, but just in case it happens a bit sooner, I didn't want her to stress... though we have everything ready and I'm ready to apply yesterday!  

AOS

July 05 - AOS package sent

July 14 - NOA 1

July 25 - Biometrics Appointment Letter

July 28 - Walk in Biometrics successful

Aug 27 - Request for Expedite on EAD (Job Offer)

Sept 12 - EAD approved and in production

Sept 12 - AP is approved but USCIS status is in 'Post Decision Activity'

Sept 18 - EAD marked as mailed

April 09 - Interview - Delayed due to sealed package from civil surgeon not at local office

May 07 - GC in production

May 18 - GC in hand!!!

Feb 9 - ROC 

Feb 14 - Check Cashed

Feb 16 - NOA 1

Feb 25 - Received Biometrics Appointment

April 10 - N400 Application

April 29 - Biometrics

January 29 - Combo Interview / Recommendation for Approval 

February 20 - Oath Ceremony - NATURALIZED 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

I am planning to file I-130 petition for my father under IR5 after becoming a US Citizen last week.

Can we file I-130 now and decide later on if we want to do Consular Processing (out of US) or Adjustment of Status (in the US)? He can travel here on Visitor visa.

Is it faster to do AOS or nowadays due to delays in the processing in the US, it is best to get this process done outside of USA under consular processing?

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
11 minutes ago, majune06 said:

I am planning to file I-130 petition for my father under IR5 after becoming a US Citizen last week.

Can we file I-130 now and decide later on if we want to do Consular Processing (out of US) or Adjustment of Status (in the US)? He can travel here on Visitor visa.

Is it faster to do AOS or nowadays due to delays in the processing in the US, it is best to get this process done outside of USA under consular processing?

Your father must do consular processing since he is currently outside the US.  

It is immigration fraud to use a non-immigrant visa to enter the US with the intent to AOS.  

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
10 minutes ago, majune06 said:

A bit of a slippery slope to intentionally use a nonimmigrant entry to circumvent the process in order to gain immigrant benefits 

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You do nt see many from the UK sponsoring Parents due I think mainly the Health Insurance issues, but if she is young enough to get a decent job with benefits and build up SS contributions then of course it is different.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

16 minutes ago, Boiler said:

You do nt see many from the UK sponsoring Parents due I think mainly the Health Insurance issues, but if she is young enough to get a decent job with benefits and build up SS contributions then of course it is different.

That's understandable. With all things considered, I still feel it is best for her to move to us, and she agrees.

Can anyone answer my question about which office handles the applications for parents? Is it state dependent?

Immigration Timeline

K1

ROC

N400

I am the Beneficiary

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Pheebs1201 said:

That's understandable. With all things considered, I still feel it is best for her to move to us, and she agrees.

Can anyone answer my question about which office handles the applications for parents? Is it state dependent?

I find the uscis website invaluable for this kind of information.   Its either Chicago or Phoenix depending upon where you live 

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.