Sunny_Skies123

Question about photos/signature?

24 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello all,

Sunny_Skies123 here. My fiancé (Canadian) and I have been together for 4 years as of November 2018. We are in the process of working on the paperwork to file for the k-1 to bring him here to the US! However, upon reading the instructions, I've discovered that we have to sign a form stating our intent to marry within 90 days of his arrival, AND get passport photos taken within 30 days of filing the paperwork. The problem is, we are not together in person right now. Is there any other way for us to send the photos/letter without having to pay for international shipping/handling? We didn't know we had to do this prior, and he doesn't want to pay to have to send a photo. We are also concerned that due to the distance, the letter/photo would never arrive in time for me to send the packet less than 30 days after the photos are taken. What have the rest of you done? Any advice? Thanks!

Scan and email for the intent.  As long as his face hasnt drastically changed over 30 days is fine. 

Have you two looked into the CR1? Is future hubs okay with not working for 6 months after moving?

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
19 minutes ago, Sunny_Skies123 said:

Hello all,

Sunny_Skies123 here. My fiancé (Canadian) and I have been together for 4 years as of November 2018. We are in the process of working on the paperwork to file for the k-1 to bring him here to the US! However, upon reading the instructions, I've discovered that we have to sign a form stating our intent to marry within 90 days of his arrival, AND get passport photos taken within 30 days of filing the paperwork. The problem is, we are not together in person right now. Is there any other way for us to send the photos/letter without having to pay for international shipping/handling? We didn't know we had to do this prior, and he doesn't want to pay to have to send a photo. We are also concerned that due to the distance, the letter/photo would never arrive in time for me to send the packet less than 30 days after the photos are taken. What have the rest of you done? Any advice? Thanks!

Have him get a passport pic image file and email to you and go to Walgreens to print 

YMMV

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
24 minutes ago, Sunny_Skies123 said:

Hello all,

Just a side note since you are new here. Have you considered getting married and filing cr-1. It is better in a lot of situations especially when the beneficiary is Canadian .

Timeline
3 minutes ago, ThomasNC1988 said:

Just a side note since you are new here. Have you considered getting married and filing cr-1. It is better in a lot of situations especially when the beneficiary is Canadian .

Why does being a Canadian have advantages ?

YMMV

Timeline
Just now, payxibka said:

Why does being a Canadian have advantages ?

Because it is so easy for them to come and go for the duration of the process. I.E. he could come visit for the couple of months difference between the processing times of K-1 an cr-1 where a lot of people making the decision are worried about how soon they could be together because they have no other way of entering the US.

Timeline
1 minute ago, ThomasNC1988 said:

Because it is so easy for them to come and go for the duration of the process. I.E. he could come visit for the couple of months difference between the processing times of K-1 an cr-1 where a lot of people making the decision are worried about how soon they could be together because they have no other way of entering the US.

Canada doesn't have a corner on that market.   Some 80+ VWP countries.   You made it sound like Canada had a special privilege 

YMMV

Timeline
Just now, payxibka said:

Canada doesn't have a corner on that market.   Some 80+ VWP countries.   You made it sound like Canada had a special privilege 

Oh no, it just has the extra leg up of touching the US. Not very helpful if OP is in Texas and he is in Northern Canada, but you get the idea.

Timeline

Also with the one guy going post crazy all over the site today because he didn't realize K-1 meant staying in the US unable to work for at least 5 months its a good time to remind people to research their options.

1 minute ago, ThomasNC1988 said:

Also with the one guy going post crazy all over the site today because he didn't realize K-1 meant staying in the US unable to work for at least 5 months its a good time to remind people to research their options.

Who is this? 

Timeline
1 minute ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

Who is this? 

The number 1 and 5 trending posts on the homepage lol.

22 minutes ago, ThomasNC1988 said:

The number 1 and 5 trending posts on the homepage lol.

Yeah I saw that and read both posts. OMG did that guy do no research at all? 

Timeline
1 hour ago, NikLR said:

Scan and email for the intent.  As long as his face hasnt drastically changed over 30 days is fine. 

Have you two looked into the CR1? Is future hubs okay with not working for 6 months after moving?

No, but we don't want to get married first. It seems like it would be difficult to get the marriage application and decide what to do to get married before any paperwork. It no longer seems to be a faster route from what I've read.

Timeline
1 hour ago, ThomasNC1988 said:

Oh no, it just has the extra leg up of touching the US. Not very helpful if OP is in Texas and he is in Northern Canada, but you get the idea.

I live in PA and he lives in Quebec. We are about an 8 hour distance drive from each other.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.