Jump to content
Sunny_Skies123

Question about photos/signature?

24 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hello all,

 

Sunny_Skies123 here. My fiancé (Canadian) and I have been together for 4 years as of November 2018. We are in the process of working on the paperwork to file for the k-1 to bring him here to the US! However, upon reading the instructions, I've discovered that we have to sign a form stating our intent to marry within 90 days of his arrival, AND get passport photos taken within 30 days of filing the paperwork. The problem is, we are not together in person right now. Is there any other way for us to send the photos/letter without having to pay for international shipping/handling? We didn't know we had to do this prior, and he doesn't want to pay to have to send a photo. We are also concerned that due to the distance, the letter/photo would never arrive in time for me to send the packet less than 30 days after the photos are taken. What have the rest of you done? Any advice? Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Scan and email for the intent.  As long as his face hasnt drastically changed over 30 days is fine. 

Have you two looked into the CR1? Is future hubs okay with not working for 6 months after moving?


You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Sunny_Skies123 said:

Hello all,

 

Sunny_Skies123 here. My fiancé (Canadian) and I have been together for 4 years as of November 2018. We are in the process of working on the paperwork to file for the k-1 to bring him here to the US! However, upon reading the instructions, I've discovered that we have to sign a form stating our intent to marry within 90 days of his arrival, AND get passport photos taken within 30 days of filing the paperwork. The problem is, we are not together in person right now. Is there any other way for us to send the photos/letter without having to pay for international shipping/handling? We didn't know we had to do this prior, and he doesn't want to pay to have to send a photo. We are also concerned that due to the distance, the letter/photo would never arrive in time for me to send the packet less than 30 days after the photos are taken. What have the rest of you done? Any advice? Thanks!

Have him get a passport pic image file and email to you and go to Walgreens to print 


YMMV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Sunny_Skies123 said:

Hello all,

 

Sunny_Skies123 here. My fiancé (Canadian) and I have been together for 4 years as of November 2018. We are in the process of working on the paperwork to file for the k-1 to bring him here to the US! However, upon reading the instructions, I've discovered that we have to sign a form stating our intent to marry within 90 days of his arrival, AND get passport photos taken within 30 days of filing the paperwork. The problem is, we are not together in person right now. Is there any other way for us to send the photos/letter without having to pay for international shipping/handling? We didn't know we had to do this prior, and he doesn't want to pay to have to send a photo. We are also concerned that due to the distance, the letter/photo would never arrive in time for me to send the packet less than 30 days after the photos are taken. What have the rest of you done? Any advice? Thanks!

Just a side note since you are new here. Have you considered getting married and filing cr-1. It is better in a lot of situations especially when the beneficiary is Canadian .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ThomasNC1988 said:

Just a side note since you are new here. Have you considered getting married and filing cr-1. It is better in a lot of situations especially when the beneficiary is Canadian .

Why does being a Canadian have advantages ?


YMMV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, payxibka said:

Why does being a Canadian have advantages ?

Because it is so easy for them to come and go for the duration of the process. I.E. he could come visit for the couple of months difference between the processing times of K-1 an cr-1 where a lot of people making the decision are worried about how soon they could be together because they have no other way of entering the US.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ThomasNC1988 said:

Because it is so easy for them to come and go for the duration of the process. I.E. he could come visit for the couple of months difference between the processing times of K-1 an cr-1 where a lot of people making the decision are worried about how soon they could be together because they have no other way of entering the US.

Canada doesn't have a corner on that market.   Some 80+ VWP countries.   You made it sound like Canada had a special privilege 


YMMV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, payxibka said:

Canada doesn't have a corner on that market.   Some 80+ VWP countries.   You made it sound like Canada had a special privilege 

Oh no, it just has the extra leg up of touching the US. Not very helpful if OP is in Texas and he is in Northern Canada, but you get the idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also with the one guy going post crazy all over the site today because he didn't realize K-1 meant staying in the US unable to work for at least 5 months its a good time to remind people to research their options.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ThomasNC1988 said:

Also with the one guy going post crazy all over the site today because he didn't realize K-1 meant staying in the US unable to work for at least 5 months its a good time to remind people to research their options.

Who is this? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, ThomasNC1988 said:

The number 1 and 5 trending posts on the homepage lol.

 

 

Yeah I saw that and read both posts. OMG did that guy do no research at all? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NikLR said:

Scan and email for the intent.  As long as his face hasnt drastically changed over 30 days is fine. 

Have you two looked into the CR1? Is future hubs okay with not working for 6 months after moving?

No, but we don't want to get married first. It seems like it would be difficult to get the marriage application and decide what to do to get married before any paperwork. It no longer seems to be a faster route from what I've read.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ThomasNC1988 said:

Oh no, it just has the extra leg up of touching the US. Not very helpful if OP is in Texas and he is in Northern Canada, but you get the idea.

I live in PA and he lives in Quebec. We are about an 8 hour distance drive from each other.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×