26 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, K1visaHopeful said:

Thank you for the link! This seems like a ridiculous practice though, given that AP is valid for one year at a time only and the renewal takes around 6 months at the moment. So you are technically only allowed to travel half of that time, if you aim for a more or less seamless renewal and file as early as you can? 

I only found sources for this from pages like the one you linked (immigration help and advisories from lawyers) and while I don't want to say I don't trust what they are saying, I am wondering if USCIS has officially said something about this (I mean, it seems not exactly a new thing) or of someone here has travelled on their current card within validity and had their renewal cancelled. 

The current USCIS website states (here https://www.uscis.gov/i-131 , under special instructions):

"If you file Form I-131, Application for Travel Document, to request an advance parole document and depart the United States without possession of an advance parole document that is valid for the entire time you are abroad, your Form I-131 will be considered abandoned. At times, an individual may have an approved advance parole document while a second one is pending. Individuals may travel on the approved advanced parole document, provided the document is valid for the entire duration of the time abroad. The pending Form I-131 will not be considered abandoned in this situation."

(highlight added)

This sounds to me more like they cancel your renewal if you fail to come back before your current AP is expired? I mean, how are they going to know when exactly you plan to come back? You don't put in a return date when you leave. Why would they pre-emptively cancel your renewal not knowing if you travel back with the valid card?

2 minutes ago, Catseal said:

Thank you for the link! This seems like a ridiculous practice though, given that AP is valid for one year at a time only and the renewal takes around 6 months at the moment. So you are technically only allowed to travel half of that time, if you aim for a more or less seamless renewal and file as early as you can? 

I only found sources for this from pages like the one you linked (immigration help and advisories from lawyers) and while I don't want to say I don't trust what they are saying, I am wondering if USCIS has officially said something about this (I mean, it seems not exactly a new thing) or of someone here has travelled on their current card within validity and had their renewal cancelled. 

The current USCIS website states (here https://www.uscis.gov/i-131 , under special instructions):

"If you file Form I-131, Application for Travel Document, to request an advance parole document and depart the United States without possession of an advance parole document that is valid for the entire time you are abroad, your Form I-131 will be considered abandoned. At times, an individual may have an approved advance parole document while a second one is pending. Individuals may travel on the approved advanced parole document, provided the document is valid for the entire duration of the time abroad. The pending Form I-131 will not be considered abandoned in this situation."

(highlight added)

This sounds to me more like they cancel your renewal if you fail to come back before your current AP is expired? I mean, how are they going to know when exactly you plan to come back? You don't put in a return date when you leave. Why would they pre-emptively cancel your renewal not knowing if you travel back with the valid card?

Interesting. This sounds about right other than they may cancel your renewal after you return and not prematurely. In your case i would contact them to ensure your renewal is still processing even if your status states it is.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Turkey
Timeline
18 hours ago, K1visaHopeful said:

What does your AP receipt notice say. Its usually says you can use it as an extension until you get your card. I'd take a look...

Automatic extension only applies for ead, not AP, if OP's travel is after March, then OP will need to reschedule or abandon the status if renewal card will not arrive by then.

20 hours ago, Avary said:

Hi Can anyone suggest what I should do.

I am on pending i-485 but I received my combo cards (work authorization & advance parole) last year. Since it is going to expired in coming March. I called the office and heard I could send applications for the renewal in 90days, so I got everything ready and finally the post reached the office in mid-Jan. I thought it’s not the first submission just requesting a renewal of card. And I have stated the expiration day also on the form.  Assumed they will send a new card to me soon, I need to travel back home, so I booked my travel ticket.. 

Now I only got NOA letters saying they are processing the applications. Can anyone tell me how long the office usually sends the new card to you? Is it possible the government haven’t sent out a new valid card to us before the old card expired? I am worried to travel outside without a valid combo card. What should I do next ? 

Thanks 🙏🏻 I need to travel outside the end of next month. 

My expiration date is also in March, and I applied for renewal on October, 2018. They haven't been approved yet, current processing times are around 5 months, so it is most likely you will get your renewal card after your current one expires, but who knows... Renewal/new card processing are same, they don't renew the card right away, they process them like it is new application.

Removal of Conditions

02/06/2021: Filed and package sent

02/10/2021: Received by USCIS

03/18/2021: NOA 1

07/01/2021: Biometrics waived

09/27/2011: Case approved, no interview (K1 visa)

Service Center: WAC

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Hong Kong
Timeline

Thanks for all your replies. 

I have no experience of getting a i-131. The trip back home next month means much to me and our family. I have been in the US for three years, really miss my family and We finally are able to throw out a small wedding banquet for them. 

I will call for an field office appointment, hoping they can understand. Do anybody have such experience? Pls share. I have booked ticket and almost get everything for my wedding banquet done. I m really worried n uncomfortable. 

Below is my last message:

——————————————————————

I am on pending i-485 but I received my combo cards (work authorization & advance parole) last year. Since it is going to expired in coming March. I called the office and heard I could send applications for the renewal in 90days, so I got everything ready and finally the post reached the office in mid-Jan. I thought it’s not the first submission just requesting a renewal of card. And I have stated the expiration day also on the form.  Assumed they will send a new card to me soon, I need to travel back home, so I booked my travel ticket.. 

Now I only got NOA letters saying they are processing the applications. Can anyone tell me how long the office usually sends the new card to you? Is it possible the government haven’t sent out a new valid card to us before the old card expired? I am worried to travel outside without a valid combo card. What should I do next ? 

3 minutes ago, Avary said:

I have no experience of getting a i-131. The trip back home next month means much to me and our family. I have been in the US for three years, really miss my family and We finally are able to throw out a small wedding banquet for them. 

I will call for an field office appointment, hoping they can understand. Do anybody have such experience? Pls share. I have booked ticket and almost get everything for my wedding banquet done. I m really worried n uncomfortable. 

——————————————————————

You should not travel without the valid authorization.  You can book an info pass and see if anything can be done. 

25 minutes ago, Avary said:

——————————————————————

Your wedding celebration wont be a good enough for an expedite or emergency travel. I'm sorry.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline