26 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Hong Kong
Timeline

Hi Can anyone suggest what I should do.

I am on pending i-485 but I received my combo cards (work authorization & advance parole) last year. Since it is going to expired in coming March. I called the office and heard I could send applications for the renewal in 90days, so I got everything ready and finally the post reached the office in mid-Jan. I thought it’s not the first submission just requesting a renewal of card. And I have stated the expiration day also on the form.  Assumed they will send a new card to me soon, I need to travel back home, so I booked my travel ticket.. 

Now I only got NOA letters saying they are processing the applications. Can anyone tell me how long the office usually sends the new card to you? Is it possible the government haven’t sent out a new valid card to us before the old card expired? I am worried to travel outside without a valid combo card. What should I do next ? 

Thanks 🙏🏻 I need to travel outside the end of next month. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
6 minutes ago, USS_Voyager said:

It’s 4-6 months for EAD/AP. You have to travel with a valid AP or your I-485 will be deemed abandoned 

They said "I received my combo cards (work authorization & advance parole) last year." 

K1 to AOS                                                                                   AOS/EAD/AP                                                                      N-400

03/01/2018 - I-129F Mailed                                              06/19/2019 - NOA1 Date                                              01/27/2023 - N-400 Filed Online

03/08/2018 - NOA1 Date                                                    07/11/2019 - Biometrics Appt                                   02/23/2023 - Biometrics Appt
09/14/2018 - NOA2 Date                                                    12/13/2019 - EAD/AP Approved                               04/03/2023 - Interview Scheduled

10/16/2018 - NVC Received                                              12/17/2019 - Interview Scheduled                          05/10/2023 - Interview - APPROVED!

10/21/2018 - Packet 3 Received                                      01/29/2020 - Interview - APPROVED!                  OFFICIALLY A U.S. CITIZEN! 

12/30/2018 - Packet 3 Sent                                               02/04/2020 - Green Card Received! 

01/06/2019 - Packet 4 Received                                     ROC - I-751

01/29/2019 - Interview - APPROVED!                           11/02/2021 - Mailed ROC Packet

02/05/2019 - Visa Received                                             11/04/2021 - NOA1 Date

05/17/2019 - U.S. Arrival                                                     01/19/2022 - Biometrics Waived

05/24/2019 - Married ❤️                                                    02/04/2023 - Transferred to New Office

06/14/2019 - Mailed AOS Packet                                    05/10/2023 - APPROVED!

2 minutes ago, beloved_dingo said:

They said "I received my combo cards (work authorization & advance parole) last year." 

Who is they? 

Chances are you get your interview and Green Card before it's approved

Don't travel without valid AP

Edited by little immigrant

Timeline
Just now, little immigrant said:

Who is they? 

The OP. It's the 2nd sentence in their post.

K1 to AOS                                                                                   AOS/EAD/AP                                                                      N-400

03/01/2018 - I-129F Mailed                                              06/19/2019 - NOA1 Date                                              01/27/2023 - N-400 Filed Online

03/08/2018 - NOA1 Date                                                    07/11/2019 - Biometrics Appt                                   02/23/2023 - Biometrics Appt
09/14/2018 - NOA2 Date                                                    12/13/2019 - EAD/AP Approved                               04/03/2023 - Interview Scheduled

10/16/2018 - NVC Received                                              12/17/2019 - Interview Scheduled                          05/10/2023 - Interview - APPROVED!

10/21/2018 - Packet 3 Received                                      01/29/2020 - Interview - APPROVED!                  OFFICIALLY A U.S. CITIZEN! 

12/30/2018 - Packet 3 Sent                                               02/04/2020 - Green Card Received! 

01/29/2019 - Interview - APPROVED!                           11/02/2021 - Mailed ROC Packet

02/05/2019 - Visa Received                                             11/04/2021 - NOA1 Date

05/17/2019 - U.S. Arrival                                                     01/19/2022 - Biometrics Waived

05/24/2019 - Married ❤️                                                    02/04/2023 - Transferred to New Office

06/14/2019 - Mailed AOS Packet                                    05/10/2023 - APPROVED!

Timeline
Just now, little immigrant said:

Well it won't help anything if it's already expired 

It isn't expired...OP clearly stated it expires in March and they applied for renewal in mid-January. 

36 minutes ago, beloved_dingo said:

It isn't expired...OP clearly stated it expires in March and they applied for renewal in mid-January. 

Right, but she also seems worry that she won’t receive the new card soon enough for her travel plans, which indicates she might have planned to re-enter after her current card expires, which led to her question about how long it takes for them to approve a new card. 

OP, there is no such thing as “they only need to print out a new renewal card”. All applications go to the same queue and currently 4-6 months I believe is the time frame. If you travel and come back before your current card expires you will be fine.

What does your AP receipt notice say. Its usually says you can use it as an extension until you get your card. I'd take a look...

54 minutes ago, K1visaHopeful said:

What does your AP receipt notice say. Its usually says you can use it as an extension until you get your card. I'd take a look...

That is the case for the I-765 only and it doesn't say this for the I-131 NOA.

2 hours ago, beloved_dingo said:

I really need to read... thank you for pointing this out. 

26 minutes ago, little immigrant said:

That is the case for the I-765 only and it doesn't say this for the I-131 NOA.

Interesting. 

I just found this too:

If you have a valid AP document and have already applied for a renewal, you cannot leave the US until that renewal is approved anyways. You would have been considered abandoning the AP renewal application.

Doubt the OP can leave at all...

Edited by K1visaHopeful

15 hours ago, K1visaHopeful said:

Interesting. 

I just found this too:

If you have a valid AP document and have already applied for a renewal, you cannot leave the US until that renewal is approved anyways. You would have been considered abandoning the AP renewal application.

Doubt the OP can leave at all...

This is wrong. Where is this from? I applied for renewal in November and exited and re-entered twice (weekend's trips to Canada) since then. My card expires in May. Unless this is something specifically for entering by plane (I hope not) or both border patrol agents i went to have no clue what they are doing (highly unlikely), it is inaccurate. Or do you mean they just cancel your renewal but let you enter? If so, why would that make sense? Mine is still in the system online at least.

Edited by Catseal

3 minutes ago, Catseal said:

This is wrong. Where is this from? I applied for renewal in November and exited and re-entered twice (weekend's trips to Canada) since then. My card expires in May. Unless this is something specifically for entering by plane (I hope not) or both border patrol agents i went to have no clue what they are doing (highly unlikely), it is inaccurate. Or do you mean they just cancel your renewal but let you enter? If so, why would that make sense? Mine is still in the system online at least.

Yes it means they cancel your renewal but let you in provided your current AP is still valid. Let me look for the link. Its newish.

9 minutes ago, Catseal said:

https://orr-reno.com/uscis-announces-change-policy-advance-parole-travel-documents/

See bullet 2.

Edited by K1visaHopeful

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.