mc962

I864 Tax Return Questions

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I am filling out the I864 for a K1 AOS application, and have a couple of questions.

For the tax returns, what have people submitted in the past? I realize on reading the form that more than 1 year of tax returns is optional, but I’m curious if people recommend submitting the other 2 years.

For context, I have had several times more than enough income for the i864 for this past year, and the year before that, but for the one before that, I didn’t have much income for that year.
Should I just submit the single tax return? The most recent and the one before that? Do people have a preference? I realize it's a fairly small thing, but I'm curious what others have preferred to do here if their first tax return had enough income.

And on the subject of tax returns, should I submit the full tax return I sent for my taxes this year (I did it through TurboTax, and the full thing is about 15 pages)? Or just the form 1040, as they mostly seem to be asking for the number from that.

4 minutes ago, mc962 said:

I am filling out the I864 for a K1 AOS application, and have a couple of questions.

For the tax returns, what have people submitted in the past? I realize on reading the form that more than 1 year of tax returns is optional, but I’m curious if people recommend submitting the other 2 years.

For context, I have had several times more than enough income for the i864 for this past year, and the year before that, but for the one before that, I didn’t have much income for that year.
Should I just submit the single tax return? The most recent and the one before that? Do people have a preference? I realize it's a fairly small thing, but I'm curious what others have preferred to do here if their first tax return had enough income.

And on the subject of tax returns, should I submit the full tax return I sent for my taxes this year (I did it through TurboTax, and the full thing is about 15 pages)? Or just the form 1040, as they mostly seem to be asking for the number from that.

My thinking is this. If you are barely just meeting the Guidelines with your income but you have done so in all three years, submitting all three would show consistency.

Otherwise if you are a high earner, just inputting your income in 24a-c is enough. Providing ITRs as proof is going overboard.

Just my 2 cents.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Netherlands
Timeline
7 minutes ago, mc962 said:

Sending all 3 years is a good option if your most recent return is showing just enough income. Since your income was more then enough you can just send the most recent one and put down the numbers of the other 2 years on the I-864 as requested. We only sent 1 and are waiting for our interview to be scheduled now, no RFE for that.

Tax return is 1040 + all supporting documents (W2, 1099 etc) that's it. You can also send a transcript, then you don't need the supporting documents. 

9 minutes ago, mc962 said:

I recommend if sending an actual ITR copy to send all pages and schedules plus all W2s.

I have seen many a CONFUSING RFE stating "you dont meet the 125%" simply because they were missing a page from the ITR. Ie if you dont provide the evidence they automatically assume you dont meet the 125%.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Go to the IRS website and request copies of a Record of Account tax transcript for the tax years in question. You'll have to go through about a gazillion layers of security, but once the system verifies that you are you, you can download the RoA transcripts immediately. These are far superior to copies of your tax returns and W-2s because they are the US government's record of what you actually filed.

I would recommend the past three tax years. Just because the oldest of the three was a much lower income year won't hurt you; on the contrary, if it still met the 125% requirement, it shows ongoing stability and even an upward trend in your earning.

Timeline
10 hours ago, Will_and_Tu said:

Go to the IRS website and request copies of a Record of Account tax transcript for the tax years in question

I've done this before, they can never manage to verify my phone number, so I'd have to wait for it (I think I just requested the transcripts by mail last time and they came at the same time as the account info).

Timeline

Sort of a follow up on this:

Part 5, Question 7: My current individual annual income  - Is this the number listed as my yearly salary in something like a letter from my employer?
Example: "John Smith has a yearly salary of $50,000"
Or is this the same adjusted gross income number from the most recently filed tax return? I think it's the first but again, I wanted to confirm it.

For reporting the income on the 3 most recent tax returns, this would be:
2018 (just filed it), 2017, and 2016?

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline
10 hours ago, mc962 said:

Sort of a follow up on this:

Part 5, Question 7: My current individual annual income  - Is this the number listed as my yearly salary in something like a letter from my employer?
Example: "John Smith has a yearly salary of $50,000"
Or is this the same adjusted gross income number from the most recently filed tax return? I think it's the first but again, I wanted to confirm it.

For reporting the income on the 3 most recent tax returns, this would be:
2018 (just filed it), 2017, and 2016?

Yes and yes. For the current income, make sure you also provide bunch of latest paystubs as evidences of annual salary.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Timeline
2 hours ago, arken said:

make sure you also provide bunch of latest paystubs as evidences of annual salary.

I just filed my 2018 tax returns and am printing those, and am getting a letter from my employer that has information including salary, do they still want paystubs as well?

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

It depends on wat they actually want, it’s more wat you think will bolster your case. Providing copies of paystubs verifies what’s mentioned in the employer letter is true. 

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Timeline

Always one more question 😆

I managed to get my tax transcript for this year (2018), but they redacted most of the SSN, most of the name, and most of the address (as of this month). 
Like so (not real information):
XXXXXX-XXXXX-1234 instead of a full number
Smi instead of Smith
123 Fa instead of 123 Fake Street

I wonder if sending a transcript in that case will still be the best policy?

I can send in the page from the IRS explaining this new policy, but I'm tempted to just send in my tax return instead, which has my full information, to avoid someone ignoring this policy and issuing an RFE.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline
14 hours ago, mc962 said:

Always one more question 😆

I managed to get my tax transcript for this year (2018), but they redacted most of the SSN, most of the name, and most of the address (as of this month). 
Like so (not real information):
XXXXXX-XXXXX-1234 instead of a full number
Smi instead of Smith
123 Fa instead of 123 Fake Street

I wonder if sending a transcript in that case will still be the best policy?

I can send in the page from the IRS explaining this new policy, but I'm tempted to just send in my tax return instead, which has my full information, to avoid someone ignoring this policy and issuing an RFE.

You probably didn't get the official Tax Return Transcript. I request one every year for my records, and my full name and social is always shown.

EDIT: Upon further research, it appears that the IRS has changed the format of  transcripts for 2018+. They now mask the full name and SSN. Please disregard my previous comment shown above.

Edited by junkmart

c9 AOS Concurrently filed I-130 & I-130A, I-485, I-131, I-765

2019-02-21 Package sent to Chicago Lockbox via FedEx

2019-03-09 Notice received via USPS

2019-03-15 Biometrics Appointment Notice received

2019-03-26 Attended Biometrics Appointment

2019-04-01 Case is ready to to be scheduled for an interview

2019-04-22 Interview Notice received via USPS

2019-05-20 Interview: Approved after 82 days.

2019-05-21 Card in production

2019-05-22 Card was mailed to you (no tracking)

2019-05-29 Green Card in hand.

I-751 Removal of Conditions

2021-03-23 Package Sent via FedEx

2021-04-01 Package Received Texas Service Center

2021-04-21 I-797C Notice Date

2021-04-26 Notice Received via USPS

2021-05-04 Biometrics were reused

2021-11-16 New card is being produced

Timeline

Found that right after posting as well.

I decided to just include a printout of the new regulations from the IRS website, just in case we get someone who doesn't understand the new regulations yet (it went into effect less than a month ago I think).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.