robhostein

Just my luck

12 posts in this topic

So my interview is this week on the 21st. But I managed to get myself hit by a car while crossing the street a couple days ago. I was on foot. It appears the ####### fled the scene. Lucky for me, this happened right in front of a fire station.

I hit my head, broke my left arm and fractured some ribs. After surgery to fix my arm and some initial rest, the doctors discharged me home yesterday. I have followup visits scheduled a week after the interview. Obviously I cant work, but I asked them if I'll be able to safely go to my interview. They said they don't see why not, as long as I'll be driven there and the interview isn't more than a couple of hours.

I had already studied the civics questions before the accident. Having taken some practice questions last night, I seem to remember all the answers.

What do you think?

10-year green card received: 2004-02-01

N-400 Filed Online:  2018-11-28

N-400 Biometrics Appointment: 2018-12-20

N-400 Notice of Interview: 2019-01-04

N-400 Interview Appointment: 2019-02-21

N-400 Application Approved: 2019-02-21

N-400 Notice of Oath Ceremony: 2019-04-11

N-400 Oath Ceremony: 2019-04-18

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

hi

so sorry it happened to you, if you feel ok then you should go, 

do you have anyone that can take you there and stay in the waiting room?

if you don't feel ok, then you should call tomorrow to reschedule, it may take a while until you get another date

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Not sure what your question is, exactly?

If you're worried about being the victim of a hit-and-run affecting your N400, it will not.  You were not the perpetrator.  

If you're worried about your injury affecting your ability to properly answer questions/attend your interview, presumably the doctors seem to have already cleared you medically.

Best of luck during your recovery, and interview.

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

21 minutes ago, Going through said:

Not sure what your question is, exactly?

Well, just wondering if anyone here has ever had such a thing happen to them a week before their interview. Also curious about the rescheduling process. On the interview notice, to reschedule, it says I'd have to mail the notice along with a letter explaining why. That's snail mail. But you say I can just call and do so. But I don't want to wait for another interview, which could be more additional months, when I could go now.

I think I'll go anyway. I think I'm ready.

Also wondering if anyone has ever gone to their interview with a condition similar to mine. Were the interviewing officers understanding or a tad bit more accommodating? Did they give you like an extra minute to answer their questions?

10-year green card received: 2004-02-01

N-400 Filed Online:  2018-11-28

N-400 Biometrics Appointment: 2018-12-20

N-400 Notice of Interview: 2019-01-04

N-400 Interview Appointment: 2019-02-21

N-400 Application Approved: 2019-02-21

N-400 Notice of Oath Ceremony: 2019-04-11

N-400 Oath Ceremony: 2019-04-18

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline
13 minutes ago, robhostein said:

Well, just wondering if anyone here has ever had such a thing happen to them a week before their interview. Also curious about the rescheduling process. On the interview notice, to reschedule, it says I'd have to mail the notice along with a letter explaining why. That's snail mail. But you say I can just call and do so. But I don't want to wait for another interview, which could be more additional months, when I could go now.

I think I'll go anyway. I think I'm ready.

Also wondering if anyone has ever gone to their interview with a condition similar to mine. Were the interviewing officers understanding or a tad bit more accommodating? Did they give you like an extra minute to answer their questions?

You didn't mention getting a concussion so I think you'll be fine answering the questions. If you can't talk due to broken ribs then maybe re-schedule. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, robhostein said:

Unfortunately that would depend on the IO themselves.  Some are nicer than others, as reported often around here.

In terms of any extra accommodation, that's more when there's an underlying medical reason already known to the IO from the application---like someone who is disabled mentally and/or physically and may need some sort of extra support/accommodation during the interview.  Of course, you can always mention at the beginning of your interview what happened just recently, if you feel the need to do so----however I don't think it will make much difference since, as you said earlier, your own doctors said you should be fine to attend.

Also, something to keep in mind---the IO, not just you, also has the discretion to postpone the interview.  If he/she feels that you are relaying to them that you may not be able to fully answer their questions/take the civics test due to a "foggy brain" at the time, you may find your interview cancelled and having to wait to be rescheduled at their initiative.

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Timeline
2 hours ago, robhostein said:

Just to clarify, I never said that, that was another member who spoke about calling to reschedule the interview. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Maybe for moral support you should consider going with a family member or a trusted friend. Nonetheless, it seems your doctors don't seem to find an issue with you going. All the best with your interview. I have no doubt you'll be US voter in 2020 :)

Nobody here is qualified to assess your medical state and if that will impact your responses. The doctors seem to have said you are fine, and you said you thought you were fine.

If you don't feel fine, you can reschedule. Some IOs are more understanding than others, but I can't imagine rescheduling would hurt your case at all. I also would not expect the IO be more lenient (they might be more accommodating, but don't rely on it).

I hope you recover as quickly and painlessly as possible. And that everything goes well with the interview, whenever you choose to have it.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

21 hours ago, robhostein said:

I hit my head

If you can no longer remember the name of the current President, this may be a blessing in disguise. 😎

But seriously, I thin you should go to the interview, and should definitely start out by describing what happened to you, especially that your traumas are still visible. 

Good luck and speedy recovery!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.