7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Hey! I'm writing this to get your guys opinions on my advance parole situation - and sorry if this isn't in the right place, I'm new to this forum. My fiancé's visa was approved and he's coming to the USA from Sweden this week (8 months to the day from when we sent the I-129F), we're getting legally married at the NYC courthouse 3/1. We're having a big wedding in Iceland in August 2019 - before you guys comment, we're not getting legally married in Iceland, just ceremonially, and we're doing it because we weren't sure about the timing with the visa and wanted to have a big party with all of our friends from NYC and Sweden 🤷‍♀️

Anyway, August 3 is almost exactly 5 months from our legal wedding in NYC. We had assumed that we would be getting the K1 visa much earlier than 8 months, and also assumed that advance parole would take 2-3 months. It seems that advance parole is taking much longer than that, with an average of 5-6 months. I know it's highly unlikely we'd get approved for emergency advance parole, because a wedding is not an emergency.

We've already paid for the entire wedding in full, so rescheduling it will definitely be a financial burden, but we obviously can't have a wedding without the groom. Is there anything we can do to make sure we get his advance parole before 5 months, or do we eat our money and reschedule the whole wedding to a date we know will be 100% okay? 

Insane that it could take up to 16 months with no RFEs and everything done correctly.... 

Anyway, would be eternally grateful for any advice and we're quite unsure of what to do. Thank you in advance!

Edited by jwilson2468

7 minutes ago, jwilson2468 said:

Hey! I'm writing this to get your guys opinions on my advance parole situation - and sorry if this isn't in the right place, I'm new to this forum. My fiancé's visa was approved and he's coming to the USA from Sweden this week (8 months to the day from when we sent the I-129F), we're getting legally married at the NYC courthouse 3/1. We're having a big wedding in Iceland in August 2019 - before you guys comment, we're not getting legally married in Iceland, just ceremonially, and we're doing it because we weren't sure about the timing with the visa and wanted to have a big party with all of our friends from NYC and Sweden 🤷‍♀️

Anyway, August 3 is almost exactly 5 months from our legal wedding in NYC. We had assumed that we would be getting the K1 visa much earlier than 8 months, and also assumed that advance parole would take 2-3 months. It seems that advance parole is taking much longer than that, with an average of 5-6 months. I know it's highly unlikely we'd get approved for emergency advance parole, because a wedding is not an emergency.

We've already paid for the entire wedding in full, so rescheduling it will definitely be a financial burden, but we obviously can't have a wedding without the groom. Is there anything we can do to make sure we get his advance parole before 5 months, or do we eat our money and reschedule the whole wedding to a date we know will be 100% okay? 

Insane that it could take up to 16 months with no RFEs and everything done correctly.... 

Anyway, would be eternally grateful for any advice and we're quite unsure of what to do. Thank you in advance!

I heard Benjamin's dont taste bad with ranch.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Cameroon
Timeline

Unfortunately there’s nothing you can do to expedite your AP based on this situation, as you already know weddings don’t count as an emergency. All you can do is hope and pray you get it before the due date. Lesson learnt is never make plans with USCIS, this agency is notorious for backloggs and uncertainties. 

Adjustment of Status From F-1 Visa.

8/14/2014: Mailed AOS package: I-130, I-485, I-765.

8/18/2014: Accepted in Chicago. Transferred to Nebraska Service Center.

8/21/2014: Received NOA 1. I-130, I-485, I-765 in mail.

8/25/2014: Received biometrics in mail. Scheduled for 9/8/2014

9/24/2014: EAD approved. 36 Days!

10/01/2014: EAD mailed.

10/03/2014: Received EAD card.

10/14/2014: I-485 moved to testing and interview.

1/28/2015: Interview scheduled for 3/4/2015.

1/31/2015: Received interview notice.

3/4/2015: Interview completed and APPROVED!

3/5/2015: Welcome notice mailed and I-130 Approved.

3/10/2015: Welcome notice and I-130 approval notice received.

3/12/2015: Green card mailed.

3/14/2015: Green card delivered.

Removal of Conditions: 

12/14/2016: Mailed I-751.

12/19/2016: NOA issued.

01/26/2017: Biometrics.

05/03/2018: I-751 transfered to NBC.

02/27/2019: Joint I-751/N-400 Interview.

05/14/2019: I-751 APPROVED.

Naturalization:

12/02/2017: Mailed N 400 to Phoenix, AZ Lockbox. (I-751 still pending)

12/05/2017: Package delivered in Phoenix, AZ. Transferred to Harrisonburg Processing Center.

12/07/2017: Notice of action issued. (IOE)

12/26/2017: Biometrics.

01/23/2019: Interview Scheduled for 2/27/2019.

02/27/2019: Joint I-751/N-400 interview. N-400 recommended for approval.

05/16/2019: N-400 APPROVED! Placed in line for oath ceremony.

05/17/2019: Oath ceremony notice mailed.

06/12/2019: Swearing in Ceremony! Finally a U.S. citizen!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

The clock for waiting for his AP does not start ticking from the time of marriage you have to file AOS first.  So if you get married 3/1 but don't send out his AOS until 4/1 then you aprox 5 month wait for AP starts 4/1.  If you live in NYC fat chance of anything happening quickly. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

You can try to get an expedite, people have gotten it approved for way less. There's no harm in trying. Next time, don't plan and purchase something when you're not ready for it :P 

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline
On 2/17/2019 at 10:30 PM, jwilson2468 said:

170 days no end and AP here.. I mean things can always change but I didn't see a change to the better for a long time. Imo 5 months with today's estimates can be really risky.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Thanks for the advice... we ended up postponing it. Costing us quite a bit but it would be way worse to have the groom miss the wedding!!! FWIW, we thought 13 months would be more than enough time based on friends who have gone through the same process in 2017. Looks like we were very, very wrong 😥 Again, thanks for the advice!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.