Jump to content
CZshearburn

K1 Dialysis Patient

16 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi I’m 31 years old from Philippines I’m a dialysis patient for almost 4 years.. I met my fiancé from online dating site last March 2017 and he petitioned me and my 10 years old son. Me and my son done already our medical exam and we’re waiting for our embassy interview this March but me and my fiancé is worried if they will denied me and my son because I’m on my hemodialysis treatment.. So is it possible that we get denied?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It could be that they might be worried that you will be a public charge due to being on dialysis. Have you guys looked into how much you will have to pay for treatment in the US? 






Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would make sure you show well your future spouse ability to maintain your healthcare costs. You will need an accepting physician and health insurance ASAP. Will you be getting married day 1 to be on his health insurance? 

 

You don't have to answer my questions necessarily but you should be prepared for similar questions in your interview.  

Dialysis costs $50k-$75k a year depending on what type it is so be prepared to show how you have planned for this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's no medical/health related reason for a refusal in what you noted.

There is a risk of being a public charge if out-of-pocket expenses are not sufficiently compensated with income/assets from a sponsor.


Timelines:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago

9/27/17: received by USCIS

10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received

10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received

10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update)

1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed

1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received

1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice

10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice

10/25/18: Formal approval

10/31/18: Green card received

 

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/17: sent

12/14/17: NOA1 hard copy received

3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification)

3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved!

3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

 

NVC

4/6/2017: Received

4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy

4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy

4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

 

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes we will get married when I get there as soon as possible so I will be on his insurance.. the only problem we have is the embassy will think that I will be a public charge.. do we need any papers to prove that I will not be a public charge? Aside ITR?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As soon as my visa approve my fiance will work on his insurance and when insurance done that’s the time we will buy our plane tickets so that when we get there we already covered on his insurance so we will not going to be a public charge.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, CZshearburn said:

As soon as my visa approve my fiance will work on his insurance and when insurance done that’s the time we will buy our plane tickets so that when we get there we already covered on his insurance so we will not going to be a public charge.. 

 

Does your fiance's insurance allow you to be added before you get married?  My fiance's insurance doesn't, so I definitely won't be covered until after our wedding.

 

Or are you planning to get married on the day you arrive in the US?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CZshearburn said:

As soon as my visa approve my fiance will work on his insurance and when insurance done that’s the time we will buy our plane tickets so that when we get there we already covered on his insurance so we will not going to be a public charge.. 

At your interview, the officer may ask for a letter or other document from your fiance's insurance company stating that you are eligible for coverage under his plan, date of estimated coverage (before marriage, after marriage?), pre-existing conditions coverage, if dialysis is covered under his plan, annual deductible, annual maximum amount covered, if medications are also required and the cost of those, regular doctor visits, and so forth.  Insurance does not cover 100% of the cost, your husband will have to pay some of it in addition to higher insurance premiums after marriage and family are added to his plan.  Given your condition, to avoid the public charge concern, I would suggest that your fiance should be asking these questions and that he should do the research with his insurance company and get the documents to show how much your treatment will cost every year, even with insurance it will cost something and depending on his insurance it could be a lot of money.  This is very different from the rest of the world and is often a shock to immigrants.  The officer might compare these additional costs to your fiance's annual income from the I-134 to make a determination about public charge.  Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, CZshearburn said:

Yes we will get married when I get there as soon as possible so I will be on his insurance.. the only problem we have is the embassy will think that I will be a public charge.. do we need any papers to prove that I will not be a public charge? Aside ITR?

Even with the insurance, there are substantial costs that can be incurred (deductibles and out of pocket expenses once deductible is met). There is typically also a maximum lifetime amount insurer will pay for a person and then will drop it - which given the costs of the procedures in the US and the long term issue may not be that difficult to meet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As others have noted, your Fiance really needs to do the numbers and work out the total cost per year for treatment in the US.  

Taking it a step further, I'd also recommend getting a letter from your current treating doctor indicating that with continuing dialysis your condition is stable and unlikely to deteriorate to the point of requiring a transplant.  

If your doctor is unable/unwilling to do that (or they say that you WILL need a transplant sooner or later) then I'd strongly recommend getting your fiance to price that up, as well.  They are hugely expensive just for the transplant let alone the anti-rejection medication for the rest of your life if it gets to that stage. 

Having all that ready to go at the point of interview will make it a lot easier for the CO to make an informed decision without throwing you into the dreaded Additional Processing loop. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, kzielu said:

There is typically also a maximum lifetime amount insurer will pay for a person and then will drop it

Both annual and lifetime coverage limits no longer exist, at least with an ACA-compliant health plan.

https://www.hhs.gov/healthcare/about-the-aca/benefit-limits/index.html


Timelines:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago

9/27/17: received by USCIS

10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received

10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received

10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update)

1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed

1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received

1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice

10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice

10/25/18: Formal approval

10/31/18: Green card received

 

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/17: sent

12/14/17: NOA1 hard copy received

3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification)

3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved!

3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

 

NVC

4/6/2017: Received

4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy

4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy

4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

 

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think my fiance Roxan met you at the medical exam last week) I wish you the best of luck!


Not a newbie but lost my old info years ago) I have been through this process before --all the way through naturalization-- This site has always been a great help to me. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Ate said:

 

Does your fiance's insurance allow you to be added before you get married?  My fiance's insurance doesn't, so I definitely won't be covered until after our wedding.

 

Or are you planning to get married on the day you arrive in the US?

 

Yes as soon as we arrives there we will get married. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, carmel34 said:

At your interview, the officer may ask for a letter or other document from your fiance's insurance company stating that you are eligible for coverage under his plan, date of estimated coverage (before marriage, after marriage?), pre-existing conditions coverage, if dialysis is covered under his plan, annual deductible, annual maximum amount covered, if medications are also required and the cost of those, regular doctor visits, and so forth.  Insurance does not cover 100% of the cost, your husband will have to pay some of it in addition to higher insurance premiums after marriage and family are added to his plan.  Given your condition, to avoid the public charge concern, I would suggest that your fiance should be asking these questions and that he should do the research with his insurance company and get the documents to show how much your treatment will cost every year, even with insurance it will cost something and depending on his insurance it could be a lot of money.  This is very different from the rest of the world and is often a shock to immigrants.  The officer might compare these additional costs to your fiance's annual income from the I-134 to make a determination about public charge.  Good luck!

Is it possible that my fiancé can get a letter where he will buy insurance to prove to the embassy that I will not be a public charge? Even though we’re not yet married? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, CZshearburn said:

Is it possible that my fiancé can get a letter where he will buy insurance to prove to the embassy that I will not be a public charge? Even though we’re not yet married? 

He should be able to get something from his insurance company stating the coverage, estimated cost of the insurance to add you and your son to his insurance, and estimated cost of co-pays and other out-of-pocket expenses you will need per year with his insurance to cover your dialysis treatments and medications.  He needs to contact his insurance company to request this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×
×
  • Create New...