Candide08

London - Miami with cat

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Hello,

While we are waiting our K1 visa, I am starting to think about the best and safest way to bring my cat with me.

Ideally I would like her to travel in the cabin with me, is it possible?

Does anyone could share previous experiences and/or advise me the best airlines/company ?

Thank you,

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Thread is moved from Off Topic to the "Moving to the US" forum, where similar threads are posted.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
14 hours ago, Candide08 said:

Yes, it is possible to travel with the cat in the cabin, there are certain requirements/restrictions around that depending on the airline. Usually each airline will have a "traveling with pets" section on their website. Calling and double checking with the airlines directly over the phone is also recommended.

There are a quite a few people here on VJ who know about traveling with cats, so hopefully they will chime in soon.

🇷🇺 CR-1 via DCF (Dec 2016-Jun 2017) & I-751 ROC (Apr 2019-Oct 2019)🌹

Spoiler

Info about my DCF Moscow* experience here and here

26-Jul-2016: Married abroad in Russia 👩‍❤️‍👨 See guide here
21-Dec-2016: I-130 filed at Moscow USCIS field office*
29-Dec-2016: I-130 approved! Yay! 🎊 

17-Jan-2017: Case number received

21-Mar-2017: Medical Exam completed

24-Mar-2017: Interview at Embassy - approved! 🎉

29-Mar-2017: CR-1 Visa received (via mail)

02-Apr-2017: USCIS Immigrant (GC) Fee paid

28-Jun-2017: Port of Entry @ PDX 🛩️

21-Jul-2017: No SSN after three weeks; applied in person at the SSA

22-Jul-2017: GC arrived in the mail 📬

31-Jul-2017: SSN arrived via mail, hurrah!

*NOTE: The USCIS Field Office in Moscow is now CLOSED as of February 28th, 2019.

Removal of Conditions - MSC Service Center

28-Jun-2019: Conditional GC expires

30-Mar-2019: Eligible to apply for ROC

01-Apr-2019: ROC in the mail to Phoenix AZ lockbox! 📫

03-Apr-2019: ROC packet delivered to lockbox

09-Apr-2019: USCIS cashed check

09-Apr-2019: Case number received via text - MSC 📲

12-Apr-2019: Extension letter arrives via mail

19-Apr-2019: Biometrics letter arrives via mail

30-Apr-2019: Biometrics appointment at local office

26-Jun-2019: Case ready to be scheduled for interview 

04-Sep-2019: Interview was scheduled - letter to arrive in mail

09-Sep-2019: Interview letter arrived in the mail! ✉️

17-Oct-2019: Interview scheduled @ local USCIS  

18-Oct-2019: Interview cancelled & notice ordered*

18-Oct-2019: Case was approved! 🎉

22-Oct-2019: Card was mailed to me 📨

23-Oct-2019: Card was picked by USPS 

25-Oct-2019: 10 year GC Card received in mail 📬

*I don't understand this status because we DID have an interview!

🇺🇸 N-400 Application for Naturalization (Apr 2020-Jun 2021) 🛂

Spoiler

Filed during Covid-19 & moved states 1 month after filing

30-Mar-2020: N-400 early filing window opens!

01-Apr-2020: Filed N-400 online 💻 

02-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received online 📃

07-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received via mail

05-May-2020: Moved to another state, filed AR-11 online

05-May-2020: Application transferred to another USCIS field office for review ➡️

15-May-2020: AR-11 request to change address completed

16-Jul-2020: Filed non-receipt inquiry due to never getting confirmation that case was transferred to new field office

15-Oct-2020: Received generic response to non-receipt inquiry, see full response here

10-Feb-2021: Contacted senator's office for help with USCIS

12-Feb-2021: Received canned response from senator's office that case is within processing time 😡

16-Feb-2021: Contacted other senator's office for help with USCIS - still no biometrics

19-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice - canned response from other senator's office 🌐

23-Feb-2021: Interview scheduled - notice to come in the mail

25-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice arrives via mail

01-Mar-2021: Interview notice letter arrives via mail  ✉️ 

29-Mar-2021: Passed interview at local office! Oath Ceremony to be scheduled

13-Apr-2021: Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

04-May-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 Unable to attend due to illness

04-May-2021: Mailed request to reschedule Oath to local office

05-May-2021: "You did not attend your Oath Ceremony" - notice to come in the mail

06-May-2021: Oath Ceremony will be scheduled, date TBA

12-May-2021: Oath Ceremony re-scheduled for June 3rd, then de-scheduled same day 😡 

25-May-2021: New Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

16-Jun-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 - DONE!!

17-Jun-2021: Certificate of Naturalization issued

🎆 Members new and old: don't forget to fill in your VJ timeline! 🎇 https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Uruguay
Timeline

I thought a few airline already stopped the process of storing the animal in the overbin cabin?

Edit: here is a couple of links

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/01/united-airlines-is-banning-some-animals-from-cargo-hold-after-pet-deaths-mix-ups.html

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/united-airlines-new-pet-policy-bans-these-dogs-and-cats/

Edited by WaterLeaf
added links

K-1 Visa process (I'm the USC [F]) [2018-2019]

Spoiler

Sent packet: August 10, 2018 (Lines Compressed to fit signature restriction guideline)

USCIS Received package: August 14 - Notification in text/email: August 17 - Mail received from USCIS: January 22, 2019
USCIS Approved I-129F Petition: January 17 - NVC Received Case: February 14 - NVC Case # Assigned: February 14

US Embassy Received: Not sure but got email reply - March 11 - Instructions Received via e-mail: March 19

Interview: May 7 - Approved! - Arriving to US/POE: June 12 - Married July 15, 2019

AOS Process [2019-2020]

Spoiler

Sent packet: July 27, 2019 - USCIS Received Package: July 29 - [Hiccup] Package was sent back due to incorrect fee and sent on August 5.
Notification in text/email: August 12 @ 12:30AM - Check cashed: August 12 - NOA 1 Mail: August 16 - Biometric: September 5 @ Atlanta, GA

AOS RFIE: Sept. 28 - got in mail by Oct 3. [They lost my Husband's Birth Certificate] - Sent back AOS RFIE: Oct 16 2019, at office by Oct 17.
AOS Case update notice on April 9th, 2020, waiting for mail. - Interview date: Scheduled as of July 15, date is August 19. Passed the interview!

My Husband got his GC! 2 Year Conditional Green Card expires 08/19/2022, Residence since 08/19/2020

ROC Process [2022-2024]

Spoiler

Sent packet: June 16, 2022 via USPS, USCIS Received Package: June 21
Notice in text (didn't get email nor text on other phone): June 24
Notice date: June 23, package is at SRC (Texas Service Center), Paid with Credit Card, payment taken on June 25
NOA 1 Mail: June 30, Biometric: Reused
Got letter in mail for extension: April 12th, Received date June 21, 2022, Notice date: April 5, 2023 = 48 Months Extension. No physical card yet.
Approved without interview as of Feb 15th, 2024. Was not a combo interview with N-400.

Naturalization N-400 [2023-...]

Spoiler

Filed Online: July 28, 2023NOA: July 29, 2023
Service Center: NBC, application # starts with IOE#.
Biometrics waived. Got NOA mail Jan 5, 2024 says Interview in Nashville, TN on Feb 6, 2024.
Queue for review and approval. Already in line for Oath Ceremony as of Feb 13th, 2024.

On 2/17/2019 at 10:50 AM, WaterLeaf said:

With the exception of the case last year when a traveller was told to put their pet up there (and the blame is equally on the employee AND the person who decided "sure that's a good idea" IMO) resulting in the death of a puppy in flight, NO airline has ever said to put a pet in the overhead bin - every airline I have seen all say that the pet's carrier must fit under the seat in front of you. 

United has (quite rightly, IMO) banned specific breeds from being in the cargo hold - their physical deformities (which is exactly what brachycephalic pets have) make it harder for them to breath as it is, but the changes in pressure and temperature can and does kill them. 

OP check very carefully the restrictions for your cat to leave the country, and also the airline restrictions on breeds, health checks etc.  I'd also suggest to have your cat get a once-over from their vet with the assumption of airline travel to get their A-Ok that it's in good health and travel won't be a detriment to it. 

Also, I don't know about the UK, but I know from Australia there weren't any airlines that allowed pets in the cabin with you either to or from the country.  I ended up having to ship my cat using a shipping company and collect her from a hub city then fly home with her domestically in the cabin - it was crazy expensive and stressful but worth it as she sits next to me purring and seeing how my husband is so lovely to her (despite him being a dog person)

On 2/16/2019 at 3:29 PM, Candide08 said:

Hello,

While we are waiting our K1 visa, I am starting to think about the best and safest way to bring my cat with me.

Does anyone could share previous experiences and/or advise me the best airlines/company ?

Thank you,

Hi @Candide08,

I can’t say definitively for cats - but I flew to America with my dog a couple of years ago - he was in the hold, but it was specifically set up for live animals, so he was fine. I believe that no animals can travel in the cabin from UK to US (I know they can on domestic flights within the US or on some European flights - but I don’t think they can transatlantic, except service animals of course).

To fly a pet from UK to US, you have to use a pet travel agent - you can’t arrange it directly with the airline. I also believe you can only fly from Heathrow or Manchester, though I may be misremembering that.

The only other option for pet transport from UK to US is via the Queen Mary 2 cruise - it goes from Southampton to New York and has kennels for dogs and cats. I’m taking my dog on it in November, as he’s 14 (in 2 days!) and has a heart murmur, so flying isn’t an option anymore.

Timeline

Hello,

Thank you all for your messages!

@Zoeeeeeee I didn't even know about this cruiseship! Thank you, it seems a little expensive though.

The  only reason I would like to travel in the cabin with my cat are too make sure the airline doesnt loose her... and make sure she is ok at all time. However, because the bag must be little.. it is probably not the most comfortable for a pet! Also I cant really find an Airlines that accept cabin pet transatlantic!

I found a company called World Care Pet. I think I will have a look more into these companies.

If anyone else had a previous experience travelling to usa with pet, please let me know!

Thank you,

On 2/20/2019 at 3:41 PM, Candide08 said:

Hello,

Thank you all for your messages!

@Zoeeeeeee I didn't even know about this cruiseship! Thank you, it seems a little expensive though.

The  only reason I would like to travel in the cabin with my cat are too make sure the airline doesnt loose her... and make sure she is ok at all time. However, because the bag must be little.. it is probably not the most comfortable for a pet! Also I cant really find an Airlines that accept cabin pet transatlantic!

I found a company called World Care Pet. I think I will have a look more into these companies.

If anyone else had a previous experience travelling to usa with pet, please let me know!

Thank you,

You may have luck with keeping her in the cabin on non-direct flights, however you'd need to be very careful as she may end up in quarantine in one of those places or due to being in one of those places.  

Unfortunatley, ever airline I spoke to wouldn't allow pets in the cabin on flights longer than ~8 hours because of the issues that crop up - they need to have somewhere to relieve themselves except they must remain in their carrier at all times, so I'm sure you can see the issue that would come from that (And I certainly wouldn't want to be the person having to sit next to the smell of fresh cat pee/poop for the rest of the flight - at least babies can be changed and their used diapers thrown away) 

As for the shipping option - my cat arrived last week from Australia. 

In the end I used a transport company that came recommended by friends and it all worked out fine. They sent a video of her as she was getting ready to be put on the plane and then emailed me an update when she landed and was processed, including photos of her in the "comfort break" kennel getting petted by one of the workers there.   

It wasn't cheap by any means - Total cost for just HER to get from Australia to Phoenix (where I collected her - not even including the cost of getting ME to her and then both of us to home) was AU$3500 (about 1,900 pounds) but I got quotes from 3 different companies and I couldn't reconcile choosing the cheapest one (who quoted AU$1900) because I couldn't figure out where they were cutting corners to still make a profit on that but I didn't want to find out if it was to the detriment of my pet. 

To me, it was worth it, though I know plenty of people who think I'm crazy to have spent that kind of money on a cat. My husband commented the day after she got here that he hadn't realised how low-key unhappy I'd seemed until she was here and I wasn't anymore. I hadn't even noticed, but I sleep better now, and the three of us spend evenings on the couch where she's full of purrs and snuggles (mostly for my husband, the little traitor). 

Good luck - I'm sure you'll work out what option suits you best :)

Timeline
32 minutes ago, dentsflogged said:

You may have luck with keeping her in the cabin on non-direct flights, however you'd need to be very careful as she may end up in quarantine in one of those places or due to being in one of those places.  

Unfortunatley, ever airline I spoke to wouldn't allow pets in the cabin on flights longer than ~8 hours because of the issues that crop up - they need to have somewhere to relieve themselves except they must remain in their carrier at all times, so I'm sure you can see the issue that would come from that (And I certainly wouldn't want to be the person having to sit next to the smell of fresh cat pee/poop for the rest of the flight - at least babies can be changed and their used diapers thrown away) 

As for the shipping option - my cat arrived last week from Australia. 

In the end I used a transport company that came recommended by friends and it all worked out fine. They sent a video of her as she was getting ready to be put on the plane and then emailed me an update when she landed and was processed, including photos of her in the "comfort break" kennel getting petted by one of the workers there.   

It wasn't cheap by any means - Total cost for just HER to get from Australia to Phoenix (where I collected her - not even including the cost of getting ME to her and then both of us to home) was AU$3500 (about 1,900 pounds) but I got quotes from 3 different companies and I couldn't reconcile choosing the cheapest one (who quoted AU$1900) because I couldn't figure out where they were cutting corners to still make a profit on that but I didn't want to find out if it was to the detriment of my pet. 

To me, it was worth it, though I know plenty of people who think I'm crazy to have spent that kind of money on a cat. My husband commented the day after she got here that he hadn't realised how low-key unhappy I'd seemed until she was here and I wasn't anymore. I hadn't even noticed, but I sleep better now, and the three of us spend evenings on the couch where she's full of purrs and snuggles (mostly for my husband, the little traitor). 

Good luck - I'm sure you'll work out what option suits you best :)

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with me!

I totally understand that you spent that money to ensure that she had the safest journey. Actually if I have to do the same I would at the end, she deserved the best!

Could you please give me the name of the company you used? Maybe they are in the UK too. I think it is nice they gave you updates.

Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

I fly with my dog quite frequently between Copenhagen and the US (have been flying to both DC and LA). He is a min pin and small enough to fly in the cabin with me.  If I remember correctly though, pets in the cabin is not allowed to and from the UK. Would it be possible for you to travel to for example France, and fly from there? Most airlines will allow a pet in the cabin, just make sure you call them to book your ticket so you can get the confirmation for the pet right away. Usually, only a couple of animals per flight will be allowed. 

It it is cheaper (around $100 one way) to keep them in cabin, but most importantly, you can keep your pet with you at all times. It is actually quite hassle free to travel, at least with a dog.

Good luck!

Timeline
57 minutes ago, MalinB said:

I fly with my dog quite frequently between Copenhagen and the US (have been flying to both DC and LA). He is a min pin and small enough to fly in the cabin with me.  If I remember correctly though, pets in the cabin is not allowed to and from the UK. Would it be possible for you to travel to for example France, and fly from there? Most airlines will allow a pet in the cabin, just make sure you call them to book your ticket so you can get the confirmation for the pet right away. Usually, only a couple of animals per flight will be allowed. 

It it is cheaper (around $100 one way) to keep them in cabin, but most importantly, you can keep your pet with you at all times. It is actually quite hassle free to travel, at least with a dog.

Good luck!

Hello,

Yes travel to France is something I could do! Thank you very much for sharing your experience 😊

My wife traveled from the US - UK and she said she wasn't able to bring her cat in the cabin, even though he was certified as a therapy cat, he had to go in the hold, although she did make sure she went with an airline with the lowest deaths for animals stored in the hold. (Simple Google search will show you the answers for that) she's not had any problems domestically in the U.S.

K1 Filed – 05/07/17

K1 NOA1 – N0A2 – 02/06/2018 (211 days)

K1 Interview – 04/11/18 – Approved

Visa in Hand – 05/03/18

POE – LAX – 05/16/2018

Married – 06/11/2018

AOS Filed – 06/18/2018

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.