Bengoj

How do people cope

68 posts in this topic

To be honest, we didn’t. We weren’t apart. We lived in a third country where we both were foreigners with no permanent residency for two years, from the beginning of our petition to the end. We hired a lawyer, but that turned out to be a terrible idea. I travelled quite a bit for other reasons, though we never lived apart. During the petition process, we simply said we were immigrating together. That was the end of it. The Embassy where we had the interview worried more about financials than establishing a domicile.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline
1 hour ago, GingerDino said:

To be honest, we didn’t. We weren’t apart. We lived in a third country where we both were foreigners with no permanent residency for two years, from the beginning of our petition to the end. We hired a lawyer, but that turned out to be a terrible idea. I travelled quite a bit for other reasons, though we never lived apart. During the petition process, we simply said we were immigrating together. That was the end of it. The Embassy where we had the interview worried more about financials than establishing a domicile.

1 hour ago, GingerDino said:

Nice!  

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 1:19 PM, adil-rafa said:

Every VJ member understands your frustration  

we all go thru it

I think when we start we have no idea of the cost/no idea of the wait time

USCIS site only says need to meet the person to apply for a K1

I do read all the State department warnings but none said you can be denied for age, or religion or sex

my total wait was 6 years and i have not actually added it up but i spent at least $35,000

btw   are you aware he will need the criminal reports from both countries for the interview?

omg why did it take you 6 years? 

I might be the most impatient person in the world, so this is probably a great test of strength of character for me. :) We have made an effort not to be apart longer than three months since we met, as right around that two month mark the distance really becomes increasingly noticeable. I don't know how some of you do it that are going six months, a year, or longer. You're heroes!

For us it's all about looking forward to that next bit of time together and planning that to take the mind off the "other" wait. (First we were waiting for paperwork to be approved in Norway for our marriage, now it's waiting on the immigration process). And I've always loved traveling and finding deals on flights, so I keep my eyes peeled for cheap airfare to take some of the financial stress away as well. Bit by bit, visit by visit, and someday this will all be part of a really cool story we tell about persevering for love.

Timeline
1 hour ago, snowdog said:

I might be the most impatient person in the world, so this is probably a great test of strength of character for me. :) We have made an effort not to be apart longer than three months since we met, as right around that two month mark the distance really becomes increasingly noticeable. I don't know how some of you do it that are going six months, a year, or longer. You're heroes!

For us it's all about looking forward to that next bit of time together and planning that to take the mind off the "other" wait. (First we were waiting for paperwork to be approved in Norway for our marriage, now it's waiting on the immigration process). And I've always loved traveling and finding deals on flights, so I keep my eyes peeled for cheap airfare to take some of the financial stress away as well. Bit by bit, visit by visit, and someday this will all be part of a really cool story we tell about persevering for love.

Same here. I travel every 3 months to see my husband. Long flights. I’m also impatient. This is soo sad but I’m glad that I’m not the only one...it gives me a little strength to know I’m not the only one.  I just left my husband in January and already looking for flights for May. I don’t know how other people do it so long apart, they are truly the heroes.  We will definitely have stories to tell when this is all over with. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

The "face time" scores points with the consulates.  Keep that in mind, and keep the faith.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline
10 minutes ago, TBoneTX said:

The "face time" scores points with the consulates.  Keep that in mind, and keep the faith.

We do WhatsApp video. How do we show video calls on WhatsApp please?

Timeline
12 minutes ago, TBoneTX said:

Or do you mean face time as in visits?? ..lol

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.