25 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Netherlands
Timeline
16 hours ago, Gravlax said:

I am not sure but I believe it shouldn't be issue if he goes to ssn office with pending aos. Maybe you can try another ssn office. You actually don't need to apply before getting married, this is preferable but you can apply after getting married as well. Ssn will be needed for anything, so I suggest you try another office.

You can only get a SSN when your K1 OR your I-94 is not expiring for at least another 2 weeks. Once you reach that point the system won't be able to provide a SSN anymore until you get your EAD or GC, whichever comes faster. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline
19 hours ago, Katemdedo said:

Hey guys! I spent the last 4 hours looking for answers I can't find, so I figured I'd just ask on here!

My husband came here on his K-1 visa and is now waiting for his AOS to receive his green card.

I'm filing my 2018 taxes right now and I'm filing as married. My husband does not have an SSN yet and does not have work documents yet. he obviously isn't working right now, do to that.

I'm confused as to what I should do. Is he eligible to fill out a W-7?? or should I say he's a non-resident alien?

In my head I thought he's viewed as a resident alien because he has an alien ID number. 

Please give me guidance if y'all know how I can properly file my taxes! thanks in advance!!

I needed to fill out a W-9 for opening a bank account.

I used this to determine if I am a resident for tax purpose or not...

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/nonresident-alien-spouse

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

At this time you probably need to get an ITIN or have filed the W-7.  When we filed for AOS, we also requested an SSN and USCIS took care of that paperwork.  When my wife got her EAD she also received her SSN.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline
20 hours ago, Katemdedo said:

I don't even know how long it would take for him to receive an ITIN if he filled it out. I don't know if we would get in time for my tax filing.

I think I'm gonna go consult with an accountant tomorrow and see what they see I guess.

You don't wait for the ITIN, and then file your taxes. You file the W-7 with your tax return.

c9 AOS Concurrently filed I-130 & I-130A, I-485, I-131, I-765

2019-02-21 Package sent to Chicago Lockbox via FedEx

2019-03-09 Notice received via USPS

2019-03-15 Biometrics Appointment Notice received

2019-03-26 Attended Biometrics Appointment

2019-04-01 Case is ready to to be scheduled for an interview

2019-04-22 Interview Notice received via USPS

2019-05-20 Interview: Approved after 82 days.

2019-05-21 Card in production

2019-05-22 Card was mailed to you (no tracking)

2019-05-29 Green Card in hand.

I-751 Removal of Conditions

2021-03-23 Package Sent via FedEx

2021-04-01 Package Received Texas Service Center

2021-04-21 I-797C Notice Date

2021-04-26 Notice Received via USPS

2021-05-04 Biometrics were reused

2021-11-16 New card is being produced

Thank you so much! this is exactly what I wanted to know! I've never had to pay someone to file my taxes so I have no idea how much I should expect to pay. Not sure if I can afford it of not!

Don't go to the big tax places like H&R Block or Jackson Hewitt, they overcharge.  They will charge you $250+.  And some of their preparers are inexperienced idiots.

Try to find a local CPA or a mom and pop tax prep place.  It should be about $100.

Timeline

Thank you so much! this is exactly what I wanted to know! I've never had to pay someone to file my taxes so I have no idea how much I should expect to pay. Not sure if I can afford it of not!

I went to HR Block this year. Complex tax prep + W-7 prep was $149.99. I ended up only using them to verify passport and provide a W-7 COA (Certificate of Authenticity) for the W-7 application, which cost $25.

The reason I did not have them prep my return is because I had already figured out my 1040 and 1116 Foreign Tax Credit. The preparer said that since it looked like I had everything under control, that she could just do the W-7 COA for $25!

6 minutes ago, junkmart said:

You don't wait for the ITIN, and then file your taxes. You file the W-7 with your tax return.

Correct, but you do it by mail.  Can't e-file it.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Eric-Pris said:

Don't go to the big tax places like H&R Block or Jackson Hewitt, they overcharge.  They will charge you $250+.  And some of their preparers are inexperienced idiots.

Try to find a local CPA or a mom and pop tax prep place.  It should be about $100.

I agree with this, except that prep was $149.99 for complex case with ITIN at HR Block. Honestly, I think I knew more than the preparer did about my particular situation.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Switzerland
Timeline

Okay, I have one final question..

If he has his work authorization pending, does that mean we still need to fill out the W-7??

I kinda thought I could attach a copy of the letter we got stating that USCIS is processing his work documents along with a social security number..

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Switzerland
Timeline
On 2/6/2019 at 5:00 PM, Eric-Pris said:

Correct, but you do it by mail.  Can't e-file it.

I'm filling out the w-7 now want to make sure I answer correctly.

question 6c asks for the visa he's on.. I don't know what the right answer is because his K-1 visa is expired. we're waiting for his AOS now. should I still add the K-1??

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.