refugee

Judge Blocks Trump Administration From Adding Citizenship Question To The Census

119 posts in this topic

Filed: H-1B Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline
9 minutes ago, Randyandyuni said:

I think he is actually saying both arguments are sacks of Doo, biased reporting in both cases support a negative connotation of the opposing view.

The numbers are the numbers, cite your own.

20 minutes ago, Nature Boy 2.0 said:

They also flood ER's use social services. Pay little or no income tax and send a lot of their wages back to other countries 

Reports: Illegal immigrants receiving Medicaid costs taxpayers $18.5 billion annually

https://www.watchdog.org/national/reports-illegal-immigrants-receiving-medicaid-costs-taxpayers-billion-annually/article_6a9860a6-d0bd-11e8-92ed-5bca8b2d3b38.html

This report cited in data from the anti immigrant group cis. Even then it isays nothing about the net effect on our economy for undocumented workers, and nothing about those with residence or Visas.

Edited by refugee

I cannot calculate the curve and complete the figure by the experience of sight; I can divine it by conscience. But from what I see I am sure it bends towards justice -Theodore Parker

7 minutes ago, abum said:

up to you, your comment there clearly showed the type of fallacy you used. 

a fallacy and an attack are not the same thing 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
30 minutes ago, refugee said:

The poster claimed non citizens didn't pay taxes. The subject is non citizens being apart of the census. Even then the net drain of undocumented workers is overstated in many circles and my link speaks to that.

Or understated in many circles.  What is the point?

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: Other Timeline
9 minutes ago, Nature Boy 2.0 said:

a fallacy and an attack are not the same thing 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

here you go.

Ad hominem (Latin for "to the person"[1]), short for argumentum ad hominem, is a fallacious argumentative strategy whereby genuine discussion of the topic at hand is avoided by instead attacking the character, motive, or other attribute of the person making the argument, or persons associated with the argument, rather than attacking the substance of the argument itself.[2] The terms ad mulierem[3] and ad feminam[4] have been used specifically when the person receiving the criticism is female.

However, its original meaning was an argument "calculated to appeal to the person addressed more than to impartial reason".[5]

Fallacious ad hominem reasoning is categorized among informal fallacies,[6][7][8] more precisely as a genetic fallacy, a subcategory of fallacies of irrelevance.

Also from Merriam Webster

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ad hominem

Examples of ad hominem in a Sentence

Recent Examples on the Web: Adverb

Discussion in online forums and social media often descends into ad hominem attacks. WSJ, "Voices From a Divided America," 29 Oct. 2018Do not applaud anyone who engages in name-calling or ad hominem attacks. Dan Rodricks, baltimoresun.com, "Rodricks: 10 ways to be a great American citizen for the Fourth of July," 3 July 2018

Edited by abum

15 minutes ago, refugee said:

The numbers are the numbers, cite your own.

This report cited in data from the anti immigrant group cis. Even then it isays nothing about the net effect on our economy for undocumented workers, and nothing about those with residence or Visas.

Live in your world of puppies and rainbows, I could not care less. You spout a liberally biased report and then are countered with a conservative biased report and claim foul because of the bias that does not conform tou your bias. At least you are transparent.

I find this hyperbole about immigrants (non citizens) not paying taxes rather disturbing, and should be found to be a crazy accusation towards anyone on this forum that is here legally or have spouses that are here legally - paying their taxes just like everyone else. Any immigrant that I know pays their taxes and we certainly do. You can argue about the merits of illegal immigrants not paying taxes all you want, but for goodness sake, stop lumping everyone else into the mix.

There are citizens that don't pay their taxes ya know. :huh:

As far as the census goes, which this topic is supposed to be about - either fill out the questions or don't at your own risk. I never quite understood the rampant paranoia about the census in the evangelical community, and from a libertarian perspective I find many of the questions completely not needed, but the census is written into our Constitution. Don't like it? Change it, and good luck with that.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Not so sure it's hyperbole as much as it is trying to group legal non-citizens with illegally entered non citizens, they are 2 different entities but conveniently grouped to blur the distinction

1 hour ago, yuna628 said:

I find this hyperbole about immigrants (non citizens) not paying taxes rather disturbing, and should be found to be a crazy accusation towards anyone on this forum that is here legally or have spouses that are here legally - paying their taxes just like everyone else. Any immigrant that I know pays their taxes and we certainly do. You can argue about the merits of illegal immigrants not paying taxes all you want, but for goodness sake, stop lumping everyone else into the mix.

There are citizens that don't pay their taxes ya know. :huh:

As far as the census goes, which this topic is supposed to be about - either fill out the questions or don't at your own risk. I never quite understood the rampant paranoia about the census in the evangelical community, and from a libertarian perspective I find many of the questions completely not needed, but the census is written into our Constitution. Don't like it? Change it, and good luck with that.

we aint talking bout non citizens. we are talking bout illegal criminals

17 minutes ago, spookyturtle said:

I don’t get the paranoia so many people have about the Census. It has a lot to do with where your tax dollars get spent. Just answer how many people live in your house and skip the rest of it bothers you. 

and that is exactly what we have said we are doing ??? Your point ?

Timeline
1 hour ago, Randyandyuni said:

Live in your world of puppies and rainbows, I could not care less. You spout a liberally biased report and then are countered with a conservative biased report and claim foul because of the bias that does not conform tou your bias. At least you are transparent.

There is no need to attack my world view. If you have real data, bring it.  

I cannot calculate the curve and complete the figure by the experience of sight; I can divine it by conscience. But from what I see I am sure it bends towards justice -Theodore Parker

1 hour ago, Randyandyuni said:

Not so sure it's hyperbole as much as it is trying to group legal non-citizens with illegally entered non citizens, they are 2 different entities but conveniently grouped to blur the distinction

The majority of the studies I see either based on crime, finances, or taxes mixes both groups together in order to make Illegals look better on paper. Usually when I point this out to people they go quiet on me. 

Timeline
28 minutes ago, Nature Boy 2.0 said:

we aint talking bout non citizens. we are talking bout illegal criminals

No, in response to my statement about the contributions of "non Citizens" another poster said they didn't pay taxes. That is not true.

28 minutes ago, Nature Boy 2.0 said:

and that is exactly what we have said we are doing ??? Your point ?

You should count to ten before posting

Just now, Cyberfx1024 said:

The majority of the studies I see either based on crime, finances, or taxes mixes both groups together in order to make Illegals look better on paper. Usually when I point this out to people they go quiet on me. 

And the data I cited broke it out.

2 minutes ago, refugee said:

There is no need to attack my world view. If you have real data, bring it.  

I am not attacking your world view in any way shape or form, you claim benefits of non citizens from a liberal sources, I see you knock counter opinions from conservative sources to the contrary, my point was you can't live on an extreme while declaring a different extreme cannot be trusted because it's extreme.

If you can't see the lunacy in that don't accuse me of attacking your world view

13 minutes ago, abum said:

right after i shared the definition of Ad Hominem 😂 

I discount most of what you day because of your contentious nature, go find some more big words to impress everyone with your intellectualism