abum

Elderly, conservatives shared more Facebook fakery in 2016

71 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

https://www.apnews.com/c2e7517984a64c6a922e84d550e1e041

WASHINGTON (AP) — Sharing false information on Facebook is old.

People over 65 and ultra conservatives shared about seven times more fake information masquerading as news on the social media site than younger adults, moderates and super liberals during the 2016 election season, a new study finds.

The first major study to look at who is sharing links from debunked sites finds that not many people are doing it. On average only 8.5 percent of those studied — about 1 person out of 12 — shared false information during the 2016 campaign, according to the study in Wednesday’s journal Science Advances . But those doing it tend to be older and more conservative.

“For something to be viral you’ve got to know who shares it,” said study co-author Jonathan Nagler, a politics professor and co-director of the Social Media and Political Participation Lab at New York University. “Wow, old people are much more likely than young people to do this.”

Facebook and other social media companies were caught off guard in 2016 when Russian agents exploited their platforms to meddle with the U.S. presidential election by spreading fake news, impersonating Americans and running targeted advertisements to try to sway votes. Since then, the companies have thrown millions of dollars and thousands of people into fighting false information.

Researchers at Princeton University and NYU in 2016 interviewed 2,711 people who used Facebook. Of those, nearly half agreed to share all their postings with the professors.

slightly related news

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/feb/06/sharing-fake-news-us-rightwing-study-trump-university-of-oxford

Fake news sharing in US is a rightwing thing, says study

University of Oxford project finds Trump supporters consume largest volume of ‘junk news’ on Facebook and Twitter

Alex Hern

Tue 6 Feb 2018 04.59 ESTLast modified on Fri 9 Feb 2018 13.34 EST

•  
  •  
  •  
 This article is over 10 months old
Shares

Trump supporters  Trump supporters in 2016. Photograph: Bill Wechter/AFP/Getty Images

Low-quality, extremist, sensationalist and conspiratorial news published in the US was overwhelmingly consumed and shared by rightwing social network users, according to a new study from the University of Oxford.

The study, from the university’s “computational propaganda project”, looked at the most significant sources of “junk news” shared in the three months leading up to Donald Trump’s first State of the Union address this January, and tried to find out who was sharing them and why.

“On Twitter, a network of Trump supporters consumes the largest volume of junk news, and junk news is the largest proportion of news links they share,” the researchers concluded. On Facebook, the skew was even greater. There, “extreme hard right pages – distinct from Republican pages – share more junk news than all the other audiences put together.”

Great study, one could also assume that younger facebook adherents shared more beer pong, dating misadventures and selfies than their older peers, love to see that study

1 minute ago, Randyandyuni said:

Great study, one could also assume that younger facebook adherents shared more beer pong, dating misadventures and selfies than their older peers, love to see that study

which one is this? deflection, whataboutism or Ignoratio elenchi?

Hurm...

6 minutes ago, abum said:

Hurm...

how about just a comment ? You did notice I complimented the study, I then made a comment to suggest the same results as the study; the social norms of people are based on age ... feeling particularly thin skinned today? Or you just like to be argumentative ?

Edited by Randyandyuni

7 minutes ago, abum said:

Hurm...

you sound like this is victimization .... 

1 minute ago, Randyandyuni said:

how about just a comment ? You did notice I complimented the study, I then made a comment to suggest the same results as the study; the social norms of people are based on age ... feeling particularly this skinned today? Or you just like to be argumentative ?

sure. if you find such study, do share with everyone.

and mine is also just a comment based on my observation of replies that i had received here before :) 

1 minute ago, abum said:

sure. if you find such study, do share with everyone.

and mine is also just a comment based on my observation of replies that i had received here before :) 

gotcha .. just argumentative 

1 minute ago, abum said:

i have no control of how you want to receive my "just a comment" that i made. up to you.

lol ok ... thin skinned too ... 

Edited by Randyandyuni

I honestly think both sides get taken in with the whole fake news thing going on. No one side is worse than the others I think to be honest. But what I do see on the Left is that a fair amount of the so-called news outlets are basically just opinion pieces with a few facts mixed in to make it look/seem legitimate. I can name a few right off hand of the lower level websites that just peddle BS the other time such as Vox, Medium, HuffPo,Buzzfeed. Then you have others that used to be good places to get high quality news and now in order for clicks/ratings they just spout off whatever can get them a audience and they are CNN and Vice. I would trust something that came from MSNBC before I would CNN, which I get ####### from the guys in my office for listening to MSNBC on SirusXM at work. 

Edited by Cyberfx1024

Filed: H-1B Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline
11 minutes ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

I honestly think both sides get taken in with the whole fake news thing going on. No one side is worse than the others I think to be honest. But what I do see on the Left is that a fair amount of the so-called news outlets are basically just opinion pieces with a few facts mixed in to make it look/seem legitimate. I can name a few right off hand of the lower level websites that just peddle BS the other time such as Vox, Medium, HuffPo,Buzzfeed. Then you have others that used to be good places to get high quality news and now in order for clicks/ratings they just spout off whatever can get them a audience and they are CNN and Vice. I would trust something that came from MSNBC before I would CNN, which I get ####### from the guys in my office for listening to MSNBC on SirusXM at work. 

You know that listening to Joy in the morning can turn you pinko right?

I cannot calculate the curve and complete the figure by the experience of sight; I can divine it by conscience. But from what I see I am sure it bends towards justice -Theodore Parker

55 minutes ago, refugee said:

You know that listening to Joy in the morning can turn you pinko right?

I do listen to Joe in the Morning because I find it quite enlightening to say the least. Just yesterday they were talking about Manafort's lawyer not redacting a number of things in released court documents. They had a guy on who lined it out pretty well actually where a old lawyer probably does not know how to properly redact a PDF document. How the lawyer basically just highlighted the text and made everything black to look redacted when there are better ways to go about it because by doing what they did you can still read the words with some work.  Also he went in to detail how in the old days on physical papers they would just put tape on the parts to be redacted, copy  the document, and then sent it out. 

As said before I do have political aspirations so being able to listen to a differing opinion on a subject will help broaden the mind and enlighten you in how the other side is thinking. 

avg facebook user is 40. Not surprising. wonder who owns instagram 

Filed: H-1B Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline
1 hour ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

I do listen to Joe in the Morning because I find it quite enlightening to say the least. Just yesterday they were talking about Manafort's lawyer not redacting a number of things in released court documents. They had a guy on who lined it out pretty well actually where a old lawyer probably does not know how to properly redact a PDF document. How the lawyer basically just highlighted the text and made everything black to look redacted when there are better ways to go about it because by doing what they did you can still read the words with some work.  Also he went in to detail how in the old days on physical papers they would just put tape on the parts to be redacted, copy  the document, and then sent it out. 

As said before I do have political aspirations so being able to listen to a differing opinion on a subject will help broaden the mind and enlighten you in how the other side is thinking. 

I see you’re trying to create redactions. Do you need assistance?

11wc05lev9921.jpg

I cannot calculate the curve and complete the figure by the experience of sight; I can divine it by conscience. But from what I see I am sure it bends towards justice -Theodore Parker