judiwoo

19 year old daughter

10 posts in this topic

My brother in law is going to sponsor me to move to the USA.  Ir was originally going to be me but my 19 year old daughter now wants to move with me.  Can he sponsor us together or has it to be two separate applications?  Any advice please

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
13 minutes ago, judiwoo said:

My brother in law is going to sponsor me to move to the USA.  Ir was originally going to be me but my 19 year old daughter now wants to move with me.  Can he sponsor us together or has it to be two separate applications?  Any advice please

How is your brother-in-law going to do this as he has no basis to petition?

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

hi

your brother in law cannot file for neither of you, to file for a green card it would need to be a direct family member. he is married to your sister right?

if your sister is a US citizen, then she will file for you and it will take over 14 years, so even if your daughter  is listed on your 130 (because spouses and children will be listed on the form) , she will be over 30 and not be able to come

siblings can file for unmarried or married siblings, if they are married, the derivatives, meaning spouses and unmarried children under 21 will come with them

Edited by aleful

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Also wondering how?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I’m assuming aleful got the process right

when you eventually get your f4 green card (I expect longer than 14 years) you can then file for your daughter - on current timelines (which could change enormously by then) that would take about 7 years, as a green card holder then you could only file for her if she is still single at that stage. Otherwise it’s really long (5 years till you become a Citizen then another again 14 or so for married kid)

nothing is going to happen in a hurry, if it happens at all, depending on what changes to chain migration laws may take place over that time.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

The OP put CR/IR1 as a class. It seems they have may have a misconception that all "family" petitions take a year.   But assuming they are at the other end of the process and sponsor means provide an affidavit of support for his wifes / the OP's sister  then the child would still be underage and could come.  It all depends on the details on where the petition is ( not yet filed, approved and sitting on a self for the next X years or nearing an interview ) 

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Your husband is a US citizen, right? And you married before your daughter was 18??

If so, then your husband would have to file an I-130 for you and a separate I-130 for your daughter. Was your I-130 already filed?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
10 hours ago, JoannaV said:

Your husband is a US citizen, right? And you married before your daughter was 18??

If so, then your husband would have to file an I-130 for you and a separate I-130 for your daughter. Was your I-130 already filed?

Seems the most logical, but a big gap since the last post.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.