34 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Hopefully, you can get through the CR-1 process smoothly.. It is much better than the K-1 for most people, anyway.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Proxy marriage is legal in the states, and I’m not trying to immigrate to the PI cos I was a citizen there before, so all the law we abide to is with the U.S. jurisdiction. 

As much as I’d like to apply for a CR-1 for her, our marriage is not even recognized by USCIS yet? 

I guess we really just just have to wait until we consummate it? 

In addition, I’d like to ask if anyone know if I can apply in person in the Philippines instead. I’ve read so much about it but I’m just not entirely sure as to how that’ll work if I’m active duty military? 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Kim Brown said:

Proxy marriage is legal in the states, and I’m not trying to immigrate to the PI cos I was a citizen there before, so all the law we abide to is with the U.S. jurisdiction. 

As much as I’d like to apply for a CR-1 for her, our marriage is not even recognized by USCIS yet? 

I guess we really just just have to wait until we consummate it? 

In addition, I’d like to ask if anyone know if I can apply in person in the Philippines instead. I’ve read so much about it but I’m just not entirely sure as to how that’ll work if I’m active duty military? 

You must have 6 mos. legal residency in the PI to file at the uscis field office in Manila for a spousal.  To the best of my knowledge,  no exceptions.

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Kim Brown said:

I guess the only thing I can do is really wait? 

It appears you are in limbo land right now.  

YMMV

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Kim Brown said:

:( I’m already thinking of hiring an immigration lawyer but I’m really trying to figure this on my own as much as possible so it costs less. 

In reality once you have a recognizable marriage,  despite what some say, you have a straightforward case.  Plenty is ss couples on this site including at least one from the PI 

YMMV

Timeline

If you want to do the K-1 visa process you would need to dissolve the proxy marriage officially and then reapply. 

For a CR-1 the proxy marriage has to be "completed" so be recognized by USCIS. Then you can go that route.

But like everyone else, at this stage, K-1 doesn't work and the proxy marriage by itself doesn't seem to hold the weight needed.

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

The issue with a K-1 is that while USCIS doesn't recognize the marriage for immigration purposes, the marriage is still legal otherwise. You would not be able to show that you intend to marry within 90 days in the US since you are already married according to federal and/or state law.

I concur with doing a CR-1 (after meeting in person at least once..be sure to hold on to evidence of that meeting!).

While nothing noted is an issue for US immigration there (other than proxy cases do tend to be more scrutinized IMO), I'm honestly unsure of how CFO will go...would they recognize it and issue the sticker? Instinct says yes as I can't think of a specific reason for them not to, but I can't say I'm 100% sure.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 hours ago, Kim Brown said:

Good Morning/Noon,

I am trying my luck and see if someone can best advice me as to what I can do to petition my wife here in U.S.

To start off, I am a Active Duty Military serving in the Navy. We just got married last September 27,2018 we've been together since June 27, 2016 and we've seen each other in person already and that was in Dec 20, 2017 for 11 days as I went back to the Philippines. 
We are married through double proxy marriage that is currently being done in Montana. I already went to the JAG Legal office and the guy was somewhat not helpful because he even just used google for my situation which I could've done my self.
He advised us to just apply for the K-1 Visa, however I will be going to the Philippines this coming February 2019 and will spend a month with her which will technically make our marriage "CONSUMMATED" and will become recognized for a I-130 petition.
My issue is, I will change my duty station in Dec 2019 and I do not know if I will be attached to a ship or actually sent overseas. I wanted to file as soon as I can.

Do you think it will be a problem if I file a K-1 Visa now (December 2018) but our marriage is actually going to be consummated in (Feb 2019)?

I really don't want to wait until it gets "consummated" because it'll also take some time off on the actual processing.

In addition, If I file a I-130 we don't even have any joint accounts yet because we just got married.

I hope you can advice me. Thank you!

I'm really confused (and know nothing about proxy marriages) but if it is an actual legal form of marriage then in fact you can't file a K-1. Did you not research on your own the requirements of a K-1 visa before doing this? The military legal system probably isn't your best source for marriage/immigration help, obviously they were wrong in telling you to do a k-1. It seems like you need to do some more research and abandon the idea of a K-1. 

As far as the joint account part of the question, the CO will understand the limitations.  I am married to a filipina and I can't be on her accounts there and she can't be on my accounts here since she has no SSN.  It is just what it is.  I did get them on my insurance so that is something.  There are not a lot of options until we are together.  The CO understands that.  You will find something to help prove a bona fide relationship.

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

4 hours ago, payxibka said:

To the best of my knowledge,  no exceptions.

@Kim Brown, for active duty U.S. Military stationed permanently at a base in USCIS Manila's jurisdiction there is an exception to the 6 month residency requirement; see "Form I-130, Petition for an Alien Relative" section https://www.uscis.gov/about-us/find-uscis-office/international-offices/philippines-uscis-manila-field-office

Edited by lummo

Timeline
1 minute ago, lummo said:

@Kim Brown, for active duty U.S. Military stationed permanently at a base in USCIS Manila's jurisdiction there is an exception to the 6 month residency requirement; see "Form I-130, Petition for an Alien Relative" section https://www.uscis.gov/about-us/find-uscis-office/international-offices/philippines-uscis-manila-field-office

There's the rub.  She is not based in the Philippines 

YMMV

3 minutes ago, payxibka said:

There's the rub.  She is not based in the Philippines 

True, but you stated "no exceptions."

*And USCIS Manila's jurisdiction is the Philippines, New Guinea, Micronesia, Marshall Islands, Palau, Kiribati, Tuvalu, Fiji, Vanuatu, Solomon Islands, Tonga, Samoa, Wallis, Futuna, New Caledonia, Pitcairn Island, Overseas French territories of French Polynesia, and most island nations in the Pacific region that are not covered by the other Field Offices in the Asia/Pacific District. Just a FYI.

Edited by lummo

There's always exceptions to the rule. There's a list of qualifying exceptional circumstances for DCF.

To qualify, one needs an exceptional circumstance.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.