Dashinka

Harvard grad student told to move out after roommates find her legally owned firearms 'uncomfortable'

87 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I guess it is Winter.  Interesting how the roommates essentially profiled her and used that as an excuse for the search of her belongings.

A Harvard graduate student was told she has to move out of her apartment after her roommates found her legally owned firearms “uncomfortable” and anxiety-inducing.

Leyla Pirnie, a 24-year-old Alabama native, told the Washington Free Beacon that she felt roommates violated her privacy after searching her room without her consent and then confronting her over gun ownership.

“When I asked them why they were in my room to begin with, they each came up with completely contradicting stories (none of which made any sense), but one comment struck me in particular: ‘We saw that you had a MAGA hat and, come on, you're from Alabama… so we just kind of assumed that you had something,'” she said.

“I asked why they didn't just call me and ask me before intruding. One of the girls responded that fear took over her body and she felt compelled to search my room until she found proof. … I cannot make this up.”

https://www.foxnews.com/us/harvard-grad-student-told-to-move-out-of-apartment-after-roommates-find-her-legally-owned-firearms-uncomfortable

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

The students said they are comfortable with her staying if she secures the guns in a 'safe or container'.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6449865/Female-Harvard-student-ordered-apartment-MAGA-hat-roommates-suspicious.html

The above resolution sounds reasonable. Also 2 options given apparently. She moves out or the other roommates move out. Whoever remains is responsible for the $6000/mo rent. This was also apparently a mediated agreement agreed to by all parties. 

Edited by Steeleballz

995507-quote-moderation-in-all-things-an

15 minutes ago, Steeleballz said:

The students said they are comfortable with her staying if she secures the guns in a 'safe or container'.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6449865/Female-Harvard-student-ordered-apartment-MAGA-hat-roommates-suspicious.html

The above resolution sounds reasonable. Also 2 options given apparently. She moves out or the other roommates move out. Whoever remains is responsible for the $6000/mo rent. This was also apparently a mediated agreement agreed to by all parties. 

What the point of having a gun if you have to keep in a safe or a container

Someone breaks in, You gonna say plz wait until I get my gun out of my safe/container.

Just when you think you have TDS eradicate,  a new case shows up.

It wasn't the rent that caught my attention but rather the fear generated by the reaction to the MAGA hat and being from Alabama, the roommates felt entitled to violate her privacy based on this.

The guns were legal and registered, if she were homophobic should she have also allowed to ransack her roommates privacy to determine if their sexual behavior might possibly be offensive to her? Of course not...

It's not the guns or sex it's the basic violation of privacy that should be in question. 

Timeline
18 minutes ago, Steeleballz said:

So it was fine that her roommates invaded her privacy due solely on profiling her support of Trump (MAGA hat), and her home state?  As to the rent, isn’t that the responsibility of the landlord?  If no one rents the house, then the landlord is stuck with nothing.  If someone has a gun for personal protection due to past incidents, a Safe is not really an option.

6 minutes ago, Chris Duffy said:

What the point of having a gun if you have to keep in a safe or a container

Someone breaks in, You gonna say plz wait until I get my gun out of my safe/container.

If you want to make your own rules, live in your own house. That's what I do.

I worked through college so I could afford my own place so I never had to deal with community rules. Except listening to other people whine about it.

4 minutes ago, Bill & Katya said:

So it was fine that her roommates invaded her privacy due solely on profiling her support of Trump (MAGA hat), and her home state?  As to the rent, isn’t that the responsibility of the landlord?  If no one rents the house, then the landlord is stuck with nothing.  If someone has a gun for personal protection due to past incidents, a Safe is not really an option.

Definitely not. I never said that. Not sure if she has legal recourse for that or not, nor do I know the landlord-tenant agreement. Doesn't look like she has pursued anything against the other roommates for it though.

6 minutes ago, Bill & Katya said:

She agreed to a mediated resolution. The results of that resolution are all current options that the tenants now have. Never agree to mediation in a landlord tenant situation if you are not comfortable with the resolution process.

Timeline
Just now, Steeleballz said:

Definitely not. I never said that. Not sure if she has legal recourse for that or not, nor do I know the landlord-tenant agreement. Doesn't look like she has pursued anything against the other roommates for it though.

You are correct, you did not comment on that portion.  I think the story is too new yet to determine if she pursues any legal action, but it does show the hypocrisy of the anti gun crowd that are generally left of center with respect to profiling which they would certainly be against if it was LE conducting it.

2 hours ago, Steeleballz said:

Did you mean to type 6000 a month oh my

3 hours ago, Steeleballz said:

The question is does she feel comfortable living with a bunch of control freaks who go through her private property when she is gone? Sounds like these people are mentally ill and she is better off moving out now rather than later.

morfunphil1_zpsoja67jml.jpg

Filed: Timeline

If she was deemed by law enforecement to “legally possess the firearms”, that means she either has a CCW or a LTC, one of which is required even of out-of-state residents.  Even if she possesses an Alabama CCW permit, it is of no good to her in MA, because MA honors reciprocity with no one.  

There is no way an eviction would stand up in court.  If she agreed to go to keep from being saddled with $6000 in rent, I can understand that.  But she may be able to sue for damages and mental anguish from the stress of having to find a new home in the middle of school.  Poor girl.