mrsartis

IR5 through myself or CR1 by an LPR through my mom?

20 posts in this topic

Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello everyone, it has been 5 years since my last post and again I would like to thank this forum for making. My and my mom’s visa journey Faster and easier.

My stepdad who was married to my mom since I was 8 finally decided to come here to the US. He will be retiring soon from work in Dubai.

our question is, would it be faster/better if I (usc) would file an Ir5? Or... my mom (lpr of almost 5years—hint hint we are filing her usc citizenship next year) should file a cr1? Looking at the timeline, it seemed like it would take a minimum mov 2 years before my stepdad can get his visa process.

My issue would be, if I would petition for stepdad through ir5, would this affect my later plans of petitioning my bio dad (who I also have a very good relationship with)?

if my mom would petition for my stepdad as an lpr, should she even apply for a us. Citizenship when she becomes eligible? Or should she just wait for my stepdad to get here?

and if she does Becomes a citizen, would that affect the timeline of petition cr1? And the pending pending petitions of my siblings via f2a?

thanks in advance!

jomay

😁

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
11 minutes ago, mrsartis said:

Hello everyone, it has been 5 years since my last post and again I would like to thank this forum for making. My and my mom’s visa journey Faster and easier.

My stepdad who was married to my mom since I was 8 finally decided to come here to the US. He will be retiring soon from work in Dubai.

our question is, would it be faster/better if I (usc) would file an Ir5? Or... my mom (lpr of almost 5years—hint hint we are filing her usc citizenship next year) should file a cr1? Looking at the timeline, it seemed like it would take a minimum mov 2 years before my stepdad can get his visa process.

My issue would be, if I would petition for stepdad through ir5, would this affect my later plans of petitioning my bio dad (who I also have a very good relationship with)?

if my mom would petition for my stepdad as an lpr, should she even apply for a us. Citizenship when she becomes eligible? Or should she just wait for my stepdad to get here?

and if she does Becomes a citizen, would that affect the timeline of petition cr1? And the pending pending petitions of my siblings via f2a?

thanks in advance!

jomay

You can't petition for your stepdad or dad until you are a US citizen, Your mom is free to petition since she is the wife.
But only you can petition your bio-dad anyway.

She can file now for her husband and upgrade her case once she becomes a citizen

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
4 minutes ago, dwheels76 said:

You can't petition for your stepdad or dad until you are a US citizen, Your mom is free to petition since she is the wife.
But only you can petition your bio-dad anyway.

She can file now for her husband and upgrade her case once she becomes a citizen

I think OP means she is the USC and her mom isn't yet

"our question is, would it be faster/better if I (usc)"

A couple notes:

1. It's F2A for your mom to petition a spouse as an LPR.
    1. ETA for F2A: ~2.5 years from filing to interview.
  2. It's CR-1 or IR-1 if she naturalizes.
    1. ETA ~12-16 months from filing to interview.
    2. An F2A case can be upgraded to CR-1/IR-1 after naturalization.
  3. You must be a USC to petition a parent (not sure if you are or aren't so I put this here - it was noted actually).
  4. You can petition a stepparent so long as you were under age 18 at the time he became your stepdad.
  5. Filing for one family member does not hurt  filing for another family member (so long as one is honest and such, obviously).
    1. If you are a financial sponsor (petitioners are always one), then filing for multiple individuals would increase your household size and therefore minimum income level required.

Edit:

21 minutes ago, mrsartis said:

Who is the petitioner for the siblings? If it's the mother, then they can also be upgraded (to IR-2). Same ~12-16 month timeline as IR-5. If somebody else is the petitioner, then it won't impact therm at all.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Khallaf said:

I think OP means she is the USC and her mom isn't yet

"our question is, would it be faster/better if I (usc)"

Thanks for taking time, yeah I am the usc, my mom is an lpr though me (ir5)

😁

Timeline
2 minutes ago, mrsartis said:

Thanks for taking time, yeah I am the usc, my mom is an lpr though me (ir5)

as previously stated you can only petition your bio dad, not step dad, your mom is the only one that can petition her husband.

she can start the process and once she becomes USC she can update the petition that she is now a USC and not a LPR this will move the process a bit faster but at least can get it started.

now with that being said what does your mother do for work? will you be a joint sponsor for the AOS?

keep in mind retirement age, and your step dad needing to get health care, and the cost of supporting him financially 

Edited by Khallaf

1 minute ago, Khallaf said:

as previously stated you can only petition your bio dad, not step dad, your mom is the only one that can petition her husband.

That's not what was stated...just that only she can file for the biological parent.

One can file for a stepparent fine, so long as it's a valid stepparent/stepchild relationship (bona fide + established before age 18).

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Quicker for you to apply, your Mother can be a joint sponsor if needed.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
6 minutes ago, geowrian said:

That's not what was stated...just that only she can file for the biological parent.

One can file for a stepparent fine, so long as it's a valid stepparent/stepchild relationship (bona fide + established before age 18).

I didn't see your post when I post my apology 

Timeline
8 minutes ago, geowrian said:

A couple notes:

1. It's F2A for your mom to petition a spouse as an LPR.
    1. ETA for F2A: ~2.5 years from filing to interview.
  2. Quote

1. It's CR-1 or IR-1 if she naturalizes.
      1. ETA ~12-16 months from filing to interview.
      2. An F2A case can be upgraded to CR-1/IR-1 after naturalization.

Perfect! I guess it’s better if she does this. Will apply for her naturalization in March 2019

1. You must be a USC to petition a parent (not sure if you are or aren't so I put this here - it was noted actually).
  2. You can petition a stepparent so long as you were under age 18 at the time he became your stepdad.
  3. Filing for one family member does not hurt  filing for another family member (so long as one is honest and such, obviously).
    1. If you are a financial sponsor (petitioners are always one), then filing for multiple individuals would increase your household size and therefore minimum income level required.

Edit:

Who is the petitioner for the siblings? If it's the mother, then they can also be upgraded (to IR-2). Same ~12-16 month timeline as IR-5. If somebody else is the petitioner, then it won't impact therm at all.

Edit:

Who is the petitioner for the siblings? If it's the mother, then they can also be upgraded (to IR-2). Same ~12-16 month timeline as IR-5. If somebody else is the petitioner, then it won't impact therm at all.—

my mom is the petitioner for my sibs f2b but their filing date is 2016 and she is a caregiver. I may or may not sign a co sponsorship depending on the status of my stepdad’s job in the future. They are over the age of 21 so that’s like over 10 years from now. 

😁

Timeline
8 minutes ago, geowrian said:

Yes it is bonafide.. they were married since I was 8.

😁

Timeline
13 minutes ago, Khallaf said:

now with that being said what does your mother do for work? will you be a joint sponsor?

i might; but my mom is caregiver

keep in mind retirement age, and your step dad needing to get health care, and the cost of supporting him financially 

he is young, only 54 Retirement in Dubai is 55. When he gets here, he will still be working, and yes I know I have to support him in the beginning till he gets jobs.

😁

5 minutes ago, mrsartis said:

Alright it might be actually be quicker if I do it. It took my mom less than a year for ir5.

If you file, worst case is it takes as long as if your mother filed and became a USC in the meantime. Best case it's faster. Seems a no-brainer to me . :P

Timelines have changed....under a year is definitely possible, but unlikely now.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

AOS:

Spoiler

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

NVC

K-1

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: El Salvador
Timeline
9 minutes ago, mrsartis said:

Who is the petitioner for the siblings? If it's the mother, then they can also be upgraded (to IR-2). Same ~12-16 month timeline as IR-5. If somebody else is the petitioner, then it won't impact therm at all.—

my mom is the petitioner for my sibs f2b but their filing date is 2016 and she is a caregiver. I may or may not sign a co sponsorship depending on the status of my stepdad’s job in the future. They are over the age of 21 so that’s like over 10 years from now. 

It might be wise to delay your mom's citizenship until after your siblings enter the US with the F2B. If she attends the oath ceremony, then they will be F1. I know its just a 4 month PD difference, but still: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/visa-law0/visa-bulletin.html

Your Input Is Appreciated On This VJ Guide Proposal: 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.