OnyxJade

Do you need an Attorney to assist with filing for a K-1 Visa

38 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

from my experience with hiring a lawyer I think it was worth it,  they may just help you with filing your case,  but however a good one will make sure you have every detail included in your case before sending the petition. And avoiding an RFE,    which is time consuming, if you have extra money to throw on a lawyer do it ,but make sure you you throw it on a good one ,good luck

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

you dont need a lawyer if you are capable of reading and following instructions and listening to the advice on these boards (and the knowledge here typically far exceeds the average attorney). Those of us who have been here any length of time have seen lawyers and visa services screw up things pretty bad for some folks.

cr1 will be faster for morroco than a k1 simply because most k1s are denied or spend a LOT of time in AP (if youre lucky) before being finally approved. And you dont have enough time in person, imo, to get a k1 approval at that consulate. morrocco likes LOTS of time together.

The age difference with you being a male is a moot point, even if i think getting married that young (your fiancee) should be illegal ;) (might be biased i married my ex at age 19 and was stuck with his lazy butt for 20 years, so i know of what i speak LOL)

marry in a 3rd country.

Edited by debbiedoo

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
13 hours ago, OnyxJade said:

I clicked on the link for spousal visa. I am all for a Moroccan wedding, but I believe it is required of me to be Muslim for me to marry her in Morocco. How would I get around this? I am looking to get her back to the states and green carded as soon as possible so we can live together, get her working, and travel the world together.

you said there were no religious differences (issues) and there are

a muslim woman can not marry a non muslim

Since this is the norm for Morocco a K1 would be denied for that reason alone

1 visit for 3 weeks is also weak

you need to convert to marry her

you need several trips to Morocco

Age difference man older not big issue

you should make several trips , consider converting if u are serious and marry in Morocco 

Big question the embassy is asking now "Why did u not marry in Morocco?"

Marrying there is important to her family

and yes,  if she were here, you could marry but  the embassy knows Islam and Morocco culture and will not approve

and no, an attorney can not help/ total waste of money especially on the religion issue

and $2000 is cheap /if he had been worth even $2000, he would have told u what i said above

18-01-2013

It goes without saying that the marriage of a Muslim woman to a non-Muslim man is one of the main taboo issues in debates on Islam.

http://www.asma-lamrabet.com/articles/what-does-the-qur-an-say-about-the-interfaith-marriage/

Edited by adil-rafa

Timeline
13 hours ago, RJandHamid said:

The downsides of the CR1 are that processing times are slightly longer (currently about 8-12 months for K1 and 12-14 months for CR1) and you would need to get married in Morocco which can be kind of a bureaucratic pain. And yes you would need to be Muslim, so if you are not the K1 route is your only option. 

With a K1 visa, she will need to file for adjustment of status in order to receive the green card. This process can take over a year in some cases. With the CR1 visa she would receive the green card shortly after entering the US and the fee is much lower.

he can't do K1 if not a muslim as the embassy knows Islam and cultural norms and will not approve a K1 so they can circumvent the religious differences

a muslim woman can not marry a nonmuslim man

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

The religious aspect seems a total block.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline
3 hours ago, adil-rafa said:

you said there were no religious differences (issues) and there are

a muslim woman can not marry a non muslim

Since this is the norm for Morocco a K1 would be denied for that reason alone

1 visit for 3 weeks is also weak

you need to convert to marry her

you need several trips to Morocco

Age difference man older not big issue

you should make several trips , consider converting if u are serious and marry in Morocco 

Big question the embassy is asking now "Why did u not marry in Morocco?"

Marrying there is important to her family

and yes,  if she were here, you could marry but  the embassy knows Islam and Morocco culture and will not approve

and no, an attorney can not help/ total waste of money especially on the religion issue

and $2000 is cheap /if he had been worth even $2000, he would have told u what i said above

18-01-2013

It goes without saying that the marriage of a Muslim woman to a non-Muslim man is one of the main taboo issues in debates on Islam.

http://www.asma-lamrabet.com/articles/what-does-the-qur-an-say-about-the-interfaith-marriage/

Agree....the lawyer is cheap at $2000. Use a groupon coupon and go to Morroco twice for that money. 

Our lawyer took $2500 and charged for every photocopy, Fedex and still made a mistake on the Intent to Marry documents.

Waste of money though. You are getting far better advice on here.

Timeline
6 hours ago, Notapplicable said:

from my experience with hiring a lawyer I think it was worth it,  they may just help you with filing your case,  but however a good one will make sure you have every detail included in your case before sending the petition. And avoiding an RFE,    which is time consuming, if you have extra money to throw on a lawyer do it ,but make sure you you throw it on a good one ,good luck

you must be a American woman to marry moroccan man

the other way around is not allowed if she was born muslim and he is not

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
21 hours ago, OnyxJade said:

I am US citizen looking to file for a K1 Visa for my fiancé from Morocco. I have contacted a lawyer that is charging $2,000 for her services to do all the heavy lifting. Is this a reasonable price?

Do you need a lawyer/attorney to aid in the filing and process? If so, what is a reasonable service fee? 

Is it difficult to do on your own? 

You don't need a lawyer to put the K1 packet together and it's definitely not worth that amount of money. My fiancé and I put together our packet and it took us like 3 months. Hiring a lawyer will only complicate the process for you and it'll take more time than to do it yourself. 

If you'd like me to, I can advice you on which section of the packet to work on first that will help speed up the process of putting the packet together for you, speaking out of experience of course.

Timeline
3 hours ago, SMK&JDR said:

You don't need a lawyer to put the K1 packet together and it's definitely not worth that amount of money. My fiancé and I put together our packet and it took us like 3 months. Hiring a lawyer will only complicate the process for you and it'll take more time than to do it yourself. 

If you'd like me to, I can advice you on which section of the packet to work on first that will help speed up the process of putting the packet together for you, speaking out of experience of course.

they can  not be approved a K1 as she is muslim and he is not

muslim women can not marry a non muslim as in Islam they figure the woman raises the children and they should be raised in the faith 

a muslim man can marry a nonmuslim woman 

1 hour ago, adil-rafa said:

they can  not be approved a K1 as she is muslim and he is not

muslim women can not marry a non muslim as in Islam they figure the woman raises the children and they should be raised in the faith 

a muslim man can marry a nonmuslim woman 

How do you explain that same sex coupons have been approved?

Timeline
12 hours ago, Lemonslice said:

How do you explain that same sex coupons have been approved?

not in Morocco

it is against cultural norms

have u seen any on here from Morocco?

59 minutes ago, adil-rafa said:

not in Morocco

it is against cultural norms

have u seen any on here from Morocco?

Friend of mine brought her fiancée and they are now married - they did cohabitate while in Morocco; sharing an apartment might have been easier for them because they were a same sex couple. It's not because it's against the norm that it doesn't exist. Homosexuality is present in all countries... 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.