iranianspouse

CBP questioning

17 posts in this topic

My spouse is an Iranian citizen who lives in a middle eastern country that has OK relations with the US. This is my third trip and something interesting happened as I flew out of the US this time. I was taken aside as I was about to board the plane by CBP and was asked the following questions

1)      Purpose of visit : Visit spouse

2)      spouse name

3)      spouse occupation

4)      How long

5)      spouse address

6)      spouse citizenship

7)      My Countries visited

😎      My social media handles

9)      How much cash I was carrying : 5000

10)   Is that all I have? Yes

11)   My address

12)   My occupation

13)   My phone numbers and email addresses

I truthfully answered everything, and even told them that I have already filed I-130 and all of this information is already on there. She wrote down all my answers on a notepad with a pen.

Now I am in a bit of a dilemma. We are having a wedding reception in a couple months, and I was carrying around 5000 USD for this purpose (I knew there is a 10K limit before I had to declare). The office simply asked was that all I had, to which I answered truthfully, yes. They did not ask or search anything in my bags. I did not volunteer why I had that much money on me, and she did not ask.

My spouse is Iranian, and Iran is sanctioned, but none of the money is going to iran (we will spend it for our wedding here) for things like wedding dresses, jewelry etc. I am trying to put as much of it as possible on my card, but jewelers, DJ’s, photographers here only take cash.  Is any of this going to be a problem?

To be fair, the questioning was extremely professional, and I never felt threatened. It was over in less than 5 minutes. I suspect, since it was my third trip to a middle eastern country that I don’t belong to, they just want to ensure Im not insane.

Am I being paranoid? Anyone else been through this? 

Edited by iranianspouse

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
29 minutes ago, iranianspouse said:

My spouse is an Iranian citizen who lives in a middle eastern country that has OK relations with the US. This is my third trip and something interesting happened as I flew out of the US this time. I was taken aside as I was about to board the plane by CBP and was asked the following questions

2)      spouse name

4)      How long

5)      spouse address

11)   My address

12)   My occupation

I truthfully answered everything, and even told them that I have already filed I-130 and all of this information is already on there. She wrote down all my answers on a notepad with a pen.

Now I am in a bit of a dilemma. We are having a wedding reception in a couple months, and I was carrying around 5000 USD for this purpose (I knew there is a 10K limit before I had to declare). The office simply asked was that all I had, to which I answered truthfully, yes. They did not ask or search anything in my bags. I did not volunteer why I had that much money on me, and she did not ask.

My spouse is Iranian, and Iran is sanctioned, but none of the money is going to iran (we will spend it for our wedding here) for things like wedding dresses, jewelry etc. I am trying to put as much of it as possible on my card, but jewelers, DJ’s, photographers here only take cash.  Is any of this going to be a problem?

To be fair, the questioning was extremely professional, and I never felt threatened. It was over in less than 5 minutes. I suspect, since it was my third trip to a middle eastern country that I don’t belong to, they just want to ensure Im not insane.

My husband is also from a Middle eastern country, I have been there 7 times, I have never been taken aside by CBP or asked any of the following questions.

I find it odd, but I would also be skeptical in your position, I am sorry you had to go through all that, and I don't know if this is only trip # 3 they would even care so much.

again I am sorry I wish I could offer my information as to why they would have done that.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

any of those questions are common. Paul has been asked similar occasionally when entering the US from canada.

they let you board the plane and depart, so obviously no problem as far as they were concerned.

i do get how it makes you nervous though, pauls only been questions a couple of times (on 40+ trips LMAO) and it always makes him shake!

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

Timeline
2 minutes ago, iranianspouse said:

I get being questioned when attempting to enter usa. This is standard and happens all the time. What really concerns me is they called my name is i was waiting to board the flight. This has never happened before and i havent heard anything like it from members here.

how else would they find you in an airport terminal?

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

ROC

Timeline
Just now, iranianspouse said:

No what i meant was i never heard of anyone being questioned as they are leaving the country.

They can question at any point. its not abnormal. nothing about any of this is abnormal. especially for having multiple trips.

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

ROC

2 hours ago, iranianspouse said:

2)      spouse name

4)      How long

5)      spouse address

11)   My address

12)   My occupation

So this is your third trip to that country right, in how many years, and what country are you flying in to if you don't mind me asking? If you have a number of trips in a short amount of time then your name might have got flagged in the system as someone to check out. 

5 minutes ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

So this is your third trip to that country right, in how many years, and what country are you flying in to if you don't mind me asking? If you have a number of trips in a short amount of time then your name might have got flagged in the system as someone to check out. 

Third trip. All in the past 6 months. First trip intro. Second trip marraige and honeymoon. Third trip visit. 

1 minute ago, iranianspouse said:

Third trip. All in the past 6 months. First trip intro. Second trip marraige and honeymoon. Third trip visit. 

If it is the country I am thinking about then I am not surprised because this could be seen as sign of possibly money laundering. As long as you are well below the required amount of $10k then you will be fine, the $5k is fine. But what people try to do is $8k in one trip, $9k in another trip, $8k in another trip to try and get around the bank regulations. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

This happens occasionally. I was stopped and questioned when flying to Amsterdam before boarding. Trust me they looked at me oddly cause Amsterdam was merely a layover to then go to Copenhagen, then after a week down to Africa. Similar questions though. How much money, for how long, why.. It happens.

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

I travel the middle East and north Africa for work all the time. Four or five multi country trips a year.  

Normally I only get the extra search / questioning when I'm returning through Paris and have been in Cairo.  

Never been questioned leaving yet. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline
8 hours ago, iranianspouse said:

Ok i guess I'm just being paranoid. I had never heard of anyone who was asked these questions as they were boarding a flight. 

I have been questioned a couple of times. Once on a trip to Rome three years ago (going on vacation by myself) and the last time was when visiting my fiancé last January (he’s from Algeria). I had the dreaded SSSS on my ticket on the way to Rome but the last time they flat out told me it was because I was traveling alone to Algeria. 

Both times on the way out of the USA.

I did not get the social media question....but the other questions were almost exactly the same.

Edited by janet3

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from IR-1/CR-1 Progress Reports to General Immigration-Related Discussion.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.