Keith & Arileidi

Two Charts Show Trump's Job Gains Are Just A Continuation From Obama's Presidency

49 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

The term "trickle down economics" is a pejorative term used by people who are jealous and full of contempt.

I can't speak for the entire middle class, or poor class, or the 1% for that matter, because everyone's path to financial peace is a long journey.

20 years ago I was poor and without much future prospects in the job market because I had no skills, and quite frankly, I had a very cynical attitude.  I spent money with credit cards and took out loans to finance a car I couldn't afford.  I can't identify what made me turn it around exactly.  Perhaps I was sick and tired of being sick and tired all the time.  Things changed though around the time I took a second job out of desperation to keep my lights on in the condo I lived in.  Yeah, I had my power cut at least twice.  That second job was delivering pizzas...haha!  Oh man, did I swallow my pride there.  It turns out  when you put off short term gratification like drinking at bars and playing video games, you can accomplish quite a lot.  I paid off my creditors and car in six months and I haven't looked back since.  Being poor in this country is mindset, not an income tax bracket.

A couple of guys I've been listening to while at work that keep me going are Dave Ramsey(financial advisor) and Jordan Peterson(clinical psychologist).  Wish I had heard of them earlier, but better late than never.  

Fix your own damn problems before being critical of the world.  Washington won't save you.  Save yourself.

Edited by Mansini77

19 hours ago, Satisfied said:

Sounds so familiar, eh?  Reminds one of 2008 all over again.  In fact, I would hazard a postulation that it happens every turnover of the presidency.

Now, are you going to tell us the victories over ISIS in the pat year are thanks to Obama?

Bushs economy was on a downslope, due to multiple factors. Mainly the generations before mine taking advantage of subprime loan market.

Bush was just a catalyst for fisical irresponsiblity. 

What Victories over isis? 

It's impossible to kill terrorism with a bullet. 

Edited by Keith & Arileidi

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
4 hours ago, Keith & Arileidi said:

Years ago, I asked a retired Israeli Army colonel how to deal with terrorists.

"Foreign or domestic?" he asked.  "Foreign," I said.

"Kill them!" he said.  "A dead terrorist can rarely cause you future problems!"

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

On 11/14/2018 at 6:18 AM, Chris Duffy said:

Here is what I know.  I am a business owner in Texas, Small business owner with a handful of employees.  

Since Trump has become President we are insanely busy with work, it like he touch a match and light the economy.  I could have 20 to 40 more employees working for me right now and still be swamped with work.  I have rather decided to stay small and cherry pick work.

I base the economy based on what is in my wallet and bank account and my back pockets, I have never seen the economy this robust in my lifetime.  Making money is insanely easy at the moment, I can call it the Trump effect

I have noticed the same pattern both at my full time job and in my side business.

22 hours ago, JimandChristy said:

A great economy and STILL lost the House. :lol: Barely made any gains in the Senate. Failed to turn up at Arlington on Veterans Day. 

That's one way of looking at it. Here is another. Despite throwing everything the left had at the election they only barely managed to gain the House and failed to gain the Senate (which may result in republicans gaining another Supreme court justice). The republicans lost fewer seats than any party holding the presidency during the mid terms since the civil war. When you look at all of the facts it looks like a victory for republicans. Don't let facts get in the way of delusion though.

12 hours ago, Mansini77 said:

The term "trickle down economics" is a pejorative term used by people who are jealous and full of contempt.

I can't speak for the entire middle class, or poor class, or the 1% for that matter, because everyone's path to financial peace is a long journey.

20 years ago I was poor and without much future prospects in the job market because I had no skills, and quite frankly, I had a very cynical attitude.  I spent money with credit cards and took out loans to finance a car I couldn't afford.  I can't identify what made me turn it around exactly.  Perhaps I was sick and tired of being sick and tired all the time.  Things changed though around the time I took a second job out of desperation to keep my lights on in the condo I lived in.  Yeah, I had my power cut at least twice.  That second job was delivering pizzas...haha!  Oh man, did I swallow my pride there.  It turns out  when you put off short term gratification like drinking at bars and playing video games, you can accomplish quite a lot.  I paid off my creditors and car in six months and I haven't looked back since.  Being poor in this country is mindset, not an income tax bracket.

A couple of guys I've been listening to while at work that keep me going are Dave Ramsey(financial advisor) and Jordan Peterson(clinical psychologist).  Wish I had heard of them earlier, but better late than never.  

Fix your own damn problems before being critical of the world.  Washington won't save you.  Save yourself.

I found Dave Ramsey's show about a year ago and the information has helped me turn my personal finances around.

Edited by jg121783

morfunphil1_zpsoja67jml.jpg

Filed: Timeline
18 hours ago, Mansini77 said:

I remember eating bologna sandwiches three times a day as a kid.  I remember my grandparents taking me in because my parents couldn’t afford to feed all three of us.  My mom never worked (which I never understood).   I was working at the age of 13, and paying rent to my parents.

Yeah, I had quite the fun upbringing.  And I promised myself I would never live like that, nor would my children.  I kept that promise.  I refuse to sit back and whine about how good others’ have it, or how much more they make than I do.  Those who can, do.  Those who will not, whine about how unfair life is.  Just my opinion.

ETA: Kudos to you for making the decision to rise up and make something better for you and your family.

Edited by Satisfied

Timeline
17 hours ago, Keith & Arileidi said:

Bushs economy was on a downslope, due to multiple factors. Mainly the generations before mine taking advantage of subprime loan market.

Bush was just a catalyst for fisical irresponsiblity. 

Once again, the federal government stuck it's nose where it didn't belong.  Banks and mortgage lenders have been pushed for years by The Community Reinvestment Act that was introduced back in 1977 to, ehm..."encourage" banks and lenders to lending money to low income families to purchase homes.  Anything that isn't a prime mortgage is a subprime mortgage with subprime rates.  Lend out money to people with spotty credit scores and employment histories, and eventually the house of cards collapses due to the high number of foreclosures.  

During Obama's two terms as president, the national debt has risen from 10 trillion to 19 trillion in eight years.  Some of this has to do with the ever growing cost of Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid which is taking up about 60% of the national budget and are basically on autopilot...so I can't blame really any one president for that debacle.  Add in the Affordable Healthcare Act and the Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009...which are both funded off of deficit spending.  There is no money in the treasury to pay for all these entitlement programs.  Everything is on borrowed money at low interest rates held by bond holders and other nations.  In just eight years, this nation doubled it's national debt.  It makes me sick to my stomach just talking about it.  But to simply assert "Bush was fiscally irresponsible" is a joke when you're own party deficit spends everyone's money just so they can feel good about themselves and to get reelected.  The 20+ trillion the country is in debt is ONLY on the national side of things.  That doesn't even include states like California and Illinois who are billions in the hole and they've been run by Democrats for decades.  The last two places I'd invest my money or open a business in are those two states.

As far as ISIS is concerned, unless Syria (still in the midst of a civil war) and Iraq have taken back all territory controlled by ISIS , there is no victory.  Terrorism is a tactic and cannot be killed.  ISIS has won the war by exporting themselves all over Europe.  Muslims don't need to be terrorists to take over entire nations.  All they need to do is have larger birthrates than those of their host countries.  Sweden, Germany, Norway and Austria come to my mind first.  Europeans don't have children anymore and the minority will one day become the majority.  I honestly cannot think of anything more depressing.  All that culture, language, churches, music and culinary art will be lost in the distant future.  

23 hours ago, TBoneTX said:

Pure ignorance.. that is all.

15 hours ago, Mansini77 said:

Some of this has to do with the ever growing cost of Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid which is taking up about 60% of the national budget and are basically on autopilot...so I can't blame really any one president for that debacle.  Add in the Affordable Healthcare Act and the Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009...which are both funded off of deficit spending.  There is no money in the treasury to pay for all these entitlement programs. 

I'll cherry pick here

Do you have a 401k plan, private life insurance you pay premiums on? Auto insurance? House insurance??

Do you consider them entitlement programs?

I doubt it since you pay for them, same as Social Security and Medicare, except in these cases there are 2 differences, you can't decide to participate and there are not rules and regulations in place to protect the sanctity of the money.

It irks the sh@t out of me when people equate the rightful payout of benefits bought and paid for as an entitlement program.

1 minute ago, Randyandyuni said:

I'll cherry pick here

Do you have a 401k plan, private life insurance you pay premiums on? Auto insurance? House insurance??

I doubt it since you pay for them, same as Social Security and Medicare, except in these cases there are 2 differences, you can't decide to participate and there are not rules and regulations in place to protect the sanctity of the money.

It irks the sh@t out of me when people equate the rightful payout of benefits bought and paid for as an entitlement program.

Yeah, SS is nowhere NEAR an entitlement program.  In fact, it’s a ripoff.  If you retire, you get to receive some of what you paid in.  If you die, and your spouse does not survive you, the gubmint keeps all the remaining monies you worked so hard for.  

9 minutes ago, Randyandyuni said:

I'll cherry pick here

Second that motion. I have been paying social security and Medicaid 41 years. I would gladly opt out they can give me the money equal to what it would be had it been in a 500 index fund 

8 minutes ago, Satisfied said:

Yeah, SS is nowhere NEAR an entitlement program.  In fact, it’s a ripoff.  If you retire, you get to receive some of what you paid in.  If you die, and your spouse does not survive you, the gubmint keeps all the remaining monies you worked so hard for.  

Ponzi scam 

Timeline
3 hours ago, Randyandyuni said:

I'll cherry pick here

My entire post of that particular paragraph was to explain that national debt is growing at a rate that is not sustainable.  Your cherry picked reply was my labeling of SS as an entitlement program.  Fine.  

How about SS is more along the lines of a ponzi scheme.  Of all the money paid into SS over the years, the rate of return is horrible compared to that of a Roth IRA or a 401k.  FICA, the 6.2 on SS and 1.45 on Medicare/Medicaid to me are just another tax that probably won't be around by the time I'm eligible.  Just more overhead on my business.  As a business owner, I pay double because I have to match my own 7.65% and my employees as well.  Meh, just numbers to crunch every month to deposit to the Fed.  What I find hilarious is that we employers don't even have to tell the Fed what percentage of our payroll tax deposits are for what: Federal Income Tax, SS, Medicare.  That is optional.  

The Big 3 are liabilities, whatever you want to call them.  SS and Medicare are going broke and Medicaid is...well....an entitlement program?  Don't get irked.  It wasn't even the point I was making originally. 

image.jpeg.865be4c6413d47be724e5ba7ac4c6c36.jpeg

Timeline
On 11/15/2018 at 5:23 PM, Satisfied said:

I remember eating bologna sandwiches three times a day as a kid.  I remember my grandparents taking me in because my parents couldn’t afford to feed all three of us.  My mom never worked (which I never understood).   I was working at the age of 13, and paying rent to my parents.

Yeah, I had quite the fun upbringing.  And I promised myself I would never live like that, nor would my children.  I kept that promise.  I refuse to sit back and whine about how good others’ have it, or how much more they make than I do.  Those who can, do.  Those who will not, whine about how unfair life is.  Just my opinion.

ETA: Kudos to you for making the decision to rise up and make something better for you and your family.

It's no wonder why so many want to immigrate to the United States.  All that is needed is a strong work ethic and some money management skills and you retire with a net worth (house, retirement accounts, pension plan etc) of over a million dollars.  

I'm in awe of first generation immigrants who come here and open a business.  I'll take Koreans for example (I'm half Korean, so I'm a bit biased).  Two Korean sisters own a nail salon next to my business.  They both work seven days a week,  I'm estimating they work 80 hour weeks each and have been doing so for the past seven years.  Their skills might seem mundane and some people might look at them and say "Eww...they clip toenails for a living".  That nail salon is so busy that they sometimes have to turn business away because the wait time for a mani or a pedi is too long.  I don't know the exact amount of their take home after rent and utilities, but it's damn well at least 150k.  And their English is not very good on top of it.  They make more money than most home grown Americans who speak English fluently and have a four year liberal arts degree.  Most working people think 40 hour work weeks are tough.  I believe most Americans would be throwing in the towel after two days in the Korean sisters' shoes, or even mine or yours. 

Those dark years. Being poor and having not a single idea of where to go in the world.  I don't remember them with much nostalgia or with much fondness.  At least the memory of those years are there as a reminder of where we've been and how we've journeyed to get away from that bottomless pit as possible. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline
On 11/15/2018 at 11:23 AM, TBoneTX said:

Well, it's lucky for the colonel, that the British didn't resort to killing all the terrorists back in the day, or their might never have been an Israel.

Oct 19, 2010 I-130 application submitted to US Embassy Seoul, South Korea

Oct 22, 2010 I-130 application approved

Oct 22, 2010 packet 3 received via email

Nov 15, 2010 DS-230 part 1 faxed to US Embassy Seoul

Nov 15, 2010 Appointment for visa interview made on-line

Nov 16, 2010 Confirmation of appointment received via email

Dec 13, 2010 Interview date

Dec 15, 2010 CR-1 received via courier

Mar 29, 2011 POE Detroit Michigan

Feb 15, 2012 Change of address via telephone

Jan 10, 2013 I-751 packet mailed to Vermont Service CenterJan 15, 2013 NOA1

Jan 31, 2013 Biometrics appointment letter received

Feb 20, 2013 Biometric appointment date

June 14, 2013 RFE

June 24, 2013 Responded to RFE

July 24, 2013 Removal of conditions approved

13 hours ago, Marty Byrde said:

So are you saying dead terrorists can rise from the dead somehow?

Russians have been killing terrorists in the Caucasus since the mid 90s. They still have a terrorism problem there. 

The Brits never eliminated the IRA by killing them either.

In the case of isis crippling its means of making money is a huge part of the war effort, not just killing its foot soldiers (that are being replaced anyways) .

You don't win wars by killing everyone, that's where the winning hearts and minds thing comes from. 

And before you go on and tell me you can't win hearts and minds of isis fighters, no you can't. However you can try to win over the populace and greatly undermine the local support they have.

Anyways quoting a mysterious Israeli officer saying a badass thing has good dramatic effect. When in reality Israeli counter terrorism tactics rely on persuasion or coercion to weaken the terror groups at their borders as much as brute force when needed.