Marta Proniagina

Medicaid for pregnant woman with 864 affidavit

55 posts in this topic

Of course they do but how does thst help the OP with pre and post natal care? 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
4 minutes ago, NikLR said:

Of course they do but how does thst help the OP with pre and post natal care? 

I thought that was covered?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

2 minutes ago, Boiler said:

I thought that was covered?

Wouldnt think so on emergency. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
24 minutes ago, Boiler said:

I thought every State has Emergency Medicaid.

She doesn't need emergency medicaid, she qualifies for regular medicaid based on pregnancy up until 6 weeks postpartum or whatever the time period was.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
21 hours ago, Marta Proniagina said:

Hello everyone. I'm looking for some help regarding my situation. My situation might be a little confusing but maybe someone dealt with anything like this. 
I am a green card holder, got married to my husband (USC) under k1 visa earlier this year. 

I am currently pregnant and uninsured. 

On november 1st we applied for Marketplace insurance and stated only my husband's income (I have started a part time job with unstable hours the same day and as I haven't received any paycheck yet) and the marketplace said I might be eligible for medicaid. I called the medicaid and they said i should apply and see the results. So, I did that and a week later we calculated that my husbands' income is going to be higher than we stated in both marketplace and medicaid applications plus I have found out more about my job's hours so I could predicts some income). I called both of the agencies, and they changed our income info which made me eligible for a marketplace insurance. However, yesterday I found out that I got eligible for the medicaid as well (even though our income is slightly higher than their guidelines and I have written a comment about the affidavit of support). So, now I am very confused on what to do. Because marketplace says as soon as I am eligible for medicaid, i lose eligibility for marketplace premiums. And medicaid might be bad for me and my husband because of the affidavit and future ROC and citizenship process.

Any ideas on what to do now? All the contact centers are closed due to the holiday and I am just being super nervous about this situation. Wish I just never sent the medicaid application but I also was rather positive that I'll be denied because of the income.

In Nebraska as long as you are lawfully present and pregnant, the 5 year waiting period may be waived.

https://www.medicaid.gov/medicaid/outreach-and-enrollment/lawfully-residing/index.html

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

Thank you everyone who posted their opinions and thoughts on this situation.

I do understand that being given medicaid might cause problems that is why I am trying to get out of this situation with the least possible losses for my immigration history and also for our financial situation. 

Our problem is that my husband has a pretty good job for our area but it doesn't provide any insurance so I cannot be added anywhere and paying for private or marketplace plan by ourselves seems ridiculous in current situation (marketplace plan for me without subsidy  is about 500 per month with 2500 deductible and 30% copay afterwards). So, technically, I'd rather not apply for any insurance and try to get emergency medicaid for the labor and delivery (that is the only service that is covered by emergency medicaid. 
However, I am planning to call medicaid today and ask them what kind of medicaid they allowed me to have (whether it is considered a short-term medicaid or a long-term one) and whether they considered my circumstances (income higher than the guidelines and affidavit). A And after that I'll try to call uscis and will ask them about the public charge on medicaid.

If after talking to them I understand that the risks are minimal, I'll probably take the medicaid. And if they won't be able to give me a clear answer about the public charge situation and whether the state will go after my husband's income after medicaid or not, then I'll try to go with the emergency medicaid (honestly, I think that even having just an emergency medicaid to cover the hospital bills might be cheaper or the same price than having obamacare with subsidy (because of the high deductible and pretty high coinsurance).

And speaking about becoming a public charge for taxpayers - I did not make the laws in this state. If they allow LPRs and even undocumented immigrants have access to the funds, it is not my concern. I don't believe that I'll rob any citizen as long as I am eligible, because taxpayers' money will go to these programs despite me enrolling in it or not. And yes, as my husband has been paying taxes all his life and has never received any benefits yet and me working here (currently have a part time job and worked in the us previously), I would not feel guilty receiving medicaid or emergency medicaid if I am qualified and if it is not going to go against me.

I guess I'll post the outcome after I speak to the representatives. Thank you all!

Edited by Marta Proniagina

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
58 minutes ago, Marta Proniagina said:

Thank you everyone who posted their opinions and thoughts on this situation.

I do understand that being given medicaid might cause problems that is why I am trying to get out of this situation with the least possible losses for my immigration history and also for our financial situation. 

Our problem is that my husband has a pretty good job for our area but it doesn't provide any insurance so I cannot be added anywhere and paying for private or marketplace plan by ourselves seems ridiculous in current situation (marketplace plan for me without subsidy  is about 500 per month with 2500 deductible and 30% copay afterwards). So, technically, I'd rather not apply for any insurance and try to get emergency medicaid for the labor and delivery (that is the only service that is covered by emergency medicaid. 
However, I am planning to call medicaid today and ask them what kind of medicaid they allowed me to have (whether it is considered a short-term medicaid or a long-term one) and whether they considered my circumstances (income higher than the guidelines and affidavit). A And after that I'll try to call uscis and will ask them about the public charge on medicaid.

If after talking to them I understand that the risks are minimal, I'll probably take the medicaid. And if they won't be able to give me a clear answer about the public charge situation and whether the state will go after my husband's income after medicaid or not, then I'll try to go with the emergency medicaid (honestly, I think that even having just an emergency medicaid to cover the hospital bills might be cheaper or the same price than having obamacare with subsidy (because of the high deductible and pretty high coinsurance).

And speaking about becoming a public charge for taxpayers - I did not make the laws in this state. If they allow LPRs and even undocumented immigrants have access to the funds, it is not my concern. I don't believe that I'll rob any citizen as long as I am eligible, because taxpayers' money will go to these programs despite me enrolling in it or not. And yes, as my husband has been paying taxes all his life and has never received any benefits yet and me working here (currently have a part time job and worked in the us previously), I would not feel guilty receiving medicaid or emergency medicaid if I am qualified and if it is not going to go against me.

I guess I'll post the outcome after I speak to the representatives. Thank you all!

Pregnancy, labor and delivery if all goes well, and I hope it does, is NOT an emergency.  You well know its coming.

The marketplace can be incredibly expensive . It would have been about 500$ a month for myself and my husband with a subsidy taking off 99$ a month for each of us. We both now have insurance through work and we currently pay 216$ for both of us for the same or slightly better insurance than what we could have gotten on the market place.

I'm curious as to if they will still take you after your correct your income. Def update us.

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

Timeline
1 minute ago, Ash.1101 said:

The marketplace can be incredibly expensive . It would have been about 500$ a month for myself and my husband with a subsidy taking off 99$ a month for each of us. We both now have insurance through work and we currently pay 216$ for both of us for the same or slightly better insurance than what we could have gotten on the market place.

I'm curious as to if they will still take you after your correct your income. Def update us.

Good for you! It's still better than the marketplace.

I was really hoping to get a job with insurance but the pregnancy happened first...

that's the thing. I did update the income and it is higher than the guidelines. However, I was still approved.

Timeline
16 minutes ago, Jenny17655 said:

Pregnancy, labor and delivery if all goes well, and I hope it does, is NOT an emergency.  You well know its coming.

Emergency conditions generally covered include labor and delivery (from Immigrant Enroll Nebraska Eligibility for Medicaid). and prenatal care is not covered.

8 minutes ago, Marta Proniagina said:

Good for you! It's still better than the marketplace.

I was really hoping to get a job with insurance but the pregnancy happened first...

that's the thing. I did update the income and it is higher than the guidelines. However, I was still approved.

Ohh, I misread! Well best of luck then and I would def do what you're doing, checking off all the boxes to make sure you're covered.

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
5 hours ago, Jenny17655 said:

You do NOT become a public charge for accepting Medicaid. The proposed bill is NOT law. If it was to become law it would NOT be retro active. It does NOT include premium tax cradits. Oh Lord mass hysteria. It doesn't apply to ROC. Woman go have your baby in peace. I help pregnant immigrants get Medicaid every single day. I have NEVER heard of a sponsor being sued. 

Hopefully it would not be retroactive..

Edited by Mrsjackson

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Just now, Marta Proniagina said:

it is retroactive for 3 months prior. why is it bad?

She is talking about the proposed changes not the medicaid coverage

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
5 hours ago, Jenny17655 said:

You do NOT become a public charge for accepting Medicaid. The proposed bill is NOT law. If it was to become law it would NOT be retro active. It does NOT include premium tax cradits. Oh Lord mass hysteria. It doesn't apply to ROC. Woman go have your baby in peace. I help pregnant immigrants get Medicaid every single day. I have NEVER heard of a sponsor being sued. 

Just saw this post now. You are the real MVP. Plus 100 to your reputation. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.