22 posts in this topic

Just got a home visit from DHS very early in the morning. Neither myself or my wife was home. I had a friend visiting staying with us that answered the door and told them we weren't in and went out of town. They asked when we would be back and he said he didn't know. They asked how we knew us and he said he met us a few years ago at a party. They asked if they could take a picture of his ID but my friend refused because didn't feel comfortable since he wasn't sure what this was about. They didn't ask to come in and didn't ask any further questions. My wife and I are currently moving and have 2 homes. I still have the address of our old apartment on file until the lease runs out. Should I leave it as is or should I change my address? I dont want to to seem like I only changed my address because of the home visit. I am currently applying to get my conditions taking off my permanent residence application. What should I expect next? Will they come back or send me a notice for an interview? We got married in 2013 and have been on limbo for 5 years. We've had our highs and lows and heartaches with this process. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
32 minutes ago, Freedomworks said:

Just got a home visit from DHS very early in the morning. Neither myself or my wife was home. I had a friend visiting staying with us that answered the door and told them we weren't in and went out of town. They asked when we would be back and he said he didn't know. They asked how we knew us and he said he met us a few years ago at a party. They asked if they could take a picture of his ID but my friend refused because didn't feel comfortable since he wasn't sure what this was about. They didn't ask to come in and didn't ask any further questions. My wife and I are currently moving and have 2 homes. I still have the address of our old apartment on file until the lease runs out. Should I leave it as is or should I change my address? I dont want to to seem like I only changed my address because of the home visit. I am currently applying to get my conditions taking off my permanent residence application. What should I expect next? Will they come back or send me a notice for an interview? We got married in 2013 and have been on limbo for 5 years. We've had our highs and lows and heartaches with this process. 

I'm curious.....how much supporting documentation did you provide with your I-751?

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

So you been married 5 years? Were you already in US? Or how did you enter US? I ask because was this an overstay, illegal entry or you arrived on spouse visa, fiance' visa.

When did you get your green card? When does your green card expire?

Seems odd DHS visits someone just random like that. Something triggered there visit.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

2 hours ago, BOB91 said:

when did you apply to remove conditions? they usually do visits if you have a red flag or randomly. Also it is recommended to change address as soon as you move. They will most likely schedule an interview.

We applied in 2016 to remove conditions. Everytime we called to get updates they said they were doing background checks. 

1 hour ago, missileman said:

I'm curious.....how much supporting documentation did you provide with your I-751?

Provided an abundance of evidence with my I751. Bank statements, affidavits, health insurance, taxes, mails, utilities, auto insurance, life insurance, Bill's, leases, just to name a few. We had issues with not having enough evidence when we initially applied for the i485 so we made sure we sent more documents than required. This time around we never got any request for more supporting documents. 

1 hour ago, dwheels76 said:

So you been married 5 years? Were you already in US? Or how did you enter US? I ask because was this an overstay, illegal entry or you arrived on spouse visa, fiance' visa.

When did you get your green card? When does your green card expire?

Seems odd DHS visits someone just random like that. Something triggered there visit.

I've never been illegal and have never overstayed. I was already in the US when I applied. I went to school here and got a job here. Met my wife here and got married after college. I'm sure something triggered the visit but we dont know why. Only thing that comes to mind is that we initially filed twice because our first lawyer didn't file our papers correctly. We got asked this at our first interview and the officer was ok with our explanation and actually told us we would have no issues. Otherwise my green card has never expired as I have gotten an extension every year since 2013. 

Edited by Freedomworks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
21 minutes ago, Freedomworks said:

I've never been illegal and have never overstayed. I was already in the US when I applied. I went to school here and got a job here. Met my wife here and got married after college. I'm sure something triggered the visit but we dont know why. Only thing that comes to mind is that we initially filed twice because our first lawyer didn't file our papers correctly. We got asked this at our first interview and the officer was ok with our explanation and actually told us we would have no issues. Otherwise my green card has never expired as I have gotten an extension every year since 2013. 

Thank you for clarifying wow since 2013. So sorry. Seems you are caught in the wheels of mess. Honestly i would make an infopass appointment and go in and see what is going on. ROC should not take 2016. Background checks? WOW.
Hope you get it all resolved and if you moved update address. 

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

17 minutes ago, dwheels76 said:

Thank you for clarifying wow since 2013. So sorry. Seems you are caught in the wheels of mess. Honestly i would make an infopass appointment and go in and see what is going on. ROC should not take 2016. Background checks? WOW.
Hope you get it all resolved and if you moved update address. 

Seems like a wheel of hot mess. Very stressful for me and my family. Thinking of reaching out to our congressional rep. We have good jobs, we pay taxes, never been in any legal trouble. It's just all very confusing why the delay and now home visits. We weren't home so we couldn't even get to ask them any questions or clarify any concerns they had. Meeting with my lawyer soon. 

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

this is totally insane. I hope you get your congressional rep to help you expedite it. good luck.

Removal of Conditions

CIS Office :California Service Center

Receipt #: WAC18096XXXXX

Date Filed :2018-01-02

NOA Date :2018-01-04

18 month courtesy copy: 2018-08-18

18 month official copy: 2018-10-22

Approval: 2019-02-01

GC received : 2019-02-08

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline

What country is the LPR from?

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

Filed: Country: India
Timeline
25 minutes ago, ThomasNC1988 said:

So you do or don't live there anymore? Your friend who apparently doesn't know you well enough to know when you are coming home was staying there while you were gone. I'm sorry but I think you are in more trouble than being worried about changing your address. If I were the officers I would assume you gave me a fake address and the friend didn't want to show his ID because it was his house and his address would have shown on the ID. Not saying that's the case but I'd bet dollars to donuts that's how the officers feel now to go along with the fact they were obviously already suspicious.

I agree that officers will get more doubtful that your friend who is living in your place doesnt know when you r coming back. That would be really strange to anybody.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.