Zosia

Traveling on Ap during AOS from K1

20 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belarus
Timeline

Hi, sorry if this is the wrong place for this, feel free to move it! 

My husband just got his EAD and AP approved (yay!), and I'm a little nervous to travel outside the US pending AOS, even with the Advance Parole approved. 

There are so many warnings all over the place that it seems risky to tempt fate, but then again, the very purpose of AP is to travel abroad during the very lengthy AOS process. 

What confuses me is the disclaimer that re entering the US on AP means that he is "paroled" instead of "admitted". As far as I understand he was admitted on the K1 when he came here six months ago. Am I mistaken? If we were to go abroad on vacation or visiting his family for a week or two, and then return on AP, would he have a different status? 

Is it risky or am I just being paranoid? 

8 minutes ago, svens said:

My husband just got his EAD and AP approved (yay!), and I'm a little nervous to travel outside the US pending AOS, even with the Advance Parole approved. 

There are so many warnings all over the place that it seems risky to tempt fate, but then again, the very purpose of AP is to travel abroad during the very lengthy AOS process. 

What confuses me is the disclaimer that re entering the US on AP means that he is "paroled" instead of "admitted". As far as I understand he was admitted on the K1 when he came here six months ago. Am I mistaken? If we were to go abroad on vacation or visiting his family for a week or two, and then return on AP, would he have a different status? 

Yes, you are being paranoid about your husband traveling while on AP. There is no problem with him traveling abroad while on AP at all so please stop listening to gossip. 

What warnings are you hearing and where from? Because pretty much everybody is just doing click bait right now instead of actual journalism.

Timeline
1 minute ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

What warnings are you hearing and where from? Because pretty much everybody is just doing click bait right now instead of actual journalism.

Just the warnings written all over the notice that our AP was approved and on the documents that came with the card itself. They seemed very stark. 

9 minutes ago, svens said:

Just the warnings written all over the notice that our AP was approved and on the documents that came with the card itself. They seemed very stark. 

Ok, well the only issue I have seen of people traveling on AP is when they are gone for a long time and end up missing the interview or trying to change the interview date to go on a preplanned trip.  

He will be fine traveling so don't worry. 

Just now, svens said:

Thank you for the reassurance!

Not a problem at all. Just go and have fun with your husband. 

I travelled on AP and was out of the country for three months. I never had a problem when I returned. Went to secondary and was paroled in. Faced no problem at my AOS interview. Hope my experience gives a little comfort.

~~moved to working and travelling during immigration from AOS process and procedures.  Topic is not about AOS process.~~

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline
22 hours ago, svens said:

When I travelled with the AP while waiting for my AOS to be either approved or set my interview, it was a nightmare. I had ALL the papers right and everything and yet, they had me waiting 2h to be accepted into the country. People kept asking my agent why he was not processing me and he kept pulling the "I will soon" or "I have to process this people first" even when there was tons of time without anyone in line...

K1 Visa Process

Nov. 2016 - Applied for K1 Visa
Nov. 2016 - NOA1 

April 2017 - NOA2 (6 months!)

April 2017 - Arrived to NVC

April 2017 - Got the # from NVC

May 2017 - Case left NVC

May 2017 - Arrived to Embassy

May 2017 - Got Package 3 

May 2017- Got Package 4

May 2017 - Interview [APPROVED!]

June 2017 - Visa arrived home

June 2017 - Made it to the US. Finally with my future hubby!!

July 2017 - Married!

AOS Process

August 2017 - Started AOS

August 2017 - NOA1

Sept. 2017 - Biometrics

19th Dec. 2018 - Interview date  [16 months]

Dec. 2018 - GC processing

29th Dec. 2018 - GC arrived home! [10 days!]
Remove Conditions - Soon...

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: El Salvador
Timeline
8 minutes ago, Andsco said:

they had me waiting 2h to be accepted into the country.

Seems OP is concerned about re-entry* for her husband; even in your case re-entry was ultimately granted.

*Obligatory disclaimer that only USCs are guaranteed entry to the US

Your Input Is Appreciated On This VJ Guide Proposal: 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline
4 hours ago, TM92 said:

Seems OP is concerned about re-entry* for her husband; even in your case re-entry was ultimately granted.

True, but the way they treated me and all in all, surely made me not want to travel again under AP.

K1 Visa Process

Nov. 2016 - Applied for K1 Visa
Nov. 2016 - NOA1 

April 2017 - NOA2 (6 months!)

April 2017 - Arrived to NVC

April 2017 - Got the # from NVC

May 2017 - Case left NVC

May 2017 - Arrived to Embassy

May 2017 - Got Package 3 

May 2017- Got Package 4

May 2017 - Interview [APPROVED!]

June 2017 - Visa arrived home

June 2017 - Made it to the US. Finally with my future hubby!!

July 2017 - Married!

AOS Process

August 2017 - Started AOS

August 2017 - NOA1

Sept. 2017 - Biometrics

19th Dec. 2018 - Interview date  [16 months]

Dec. 2018 - GC processing

29th Dec. 2018 - GC arrived home! [10 days!]
Remove Conditions - Soon...

Timeline
4 hours ago, TM92 said:

That is correct! I don't mind a long wait any more than the next impatient person, as long as they let him back in! 

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline
On 11/3/2018 at 4:54 PM, svens said:

Exactly! The warnings all over every piece of paper that USCIS send with the AP or combo card  says that the AP holder is paroled for 1 year when they re-enter the US. What happens at the end of that year? The wait time for adjustment of status at the Seattle field office can be 2 years or more at the moment so concerns about a 1 year parole are very real. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: El Salvador
Timeline
11 hours ago, Steve_Carbary said:

The warnings all over every piece of paper that USCIS send with the AP or combo card  says that the AP holder is paroled for 1 year when they re-enter the US. What happens at the end of that year?

I don't see the part about being "paroled for 1 year":

1765.jpg

EPSON011.jpg

Your Input Is Appreciated On This VJ Guide Proposal: 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
1 hour ago, TM92 said:

I don't see the part about being "paroled for 1 year":

It is usually on the stamp you are getting in your passport, entering the US on AP.

This is from my passport -  entered the country on June 1, 2015 and got paroled for a year, till May 31, 2016. 

But of course, it doesn't mean an individual  can't travel anymore :)

As long as he/she enters the US before an AP gets expired and  I-485 didn't get denied while an individual was out of the country,  he/she should be able to enter the country with no troubles. 

image.png.2d512deefd61d952238a8d23841300a8.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.