cattis

bringing wife's daughter to US

15 posts in this topic

i am a US citizen, a 70% disabled veteran, retired on my disability payments and SS retirement pension. My wife got here from Phills 27 months ago, was awarded a 2 year visa in December of 2016. We have applied for her 10 year visa. she is working  60 hours per week. What must we do to get her 8 year old. daughter here? Is it advisable for me to adopt her before bringing her here? why or why not? What is this all going to cost me? Thank you.

On 10/29/2018 at 1:11 AM, aleful said:

hi

no need for adoption. you could have filed a petition for her at the same time as your wife. begin with filing an i130

we were in no position to bring her here  2 years ago. No money, and she spoke no English at all. So she's been in private school and my wife's been working. We'll be ready to bring her here soon. Thanks.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

A very similar process to filing for your wife, presumably with her working 60 hours you should be able to meet the sponsorship requirements.

Just follow the guides. A year or so is the current time line.

You file, quicker that way.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Just FYI schools are often excellent at integrating non- English speakers. We had friends whose kids at the time were 6 and 9, spoke no English at all, both were fluent within 6 months. Kids absorb fast. 

My stepson arrived November 2016, spoke no English. he started kindergarten in January 2017 and was cuuent with his class by June, today you wouldn't know he didn't grow up here. The fundamentals taught in Filipino schools exceeds that in the public schools here, she should have no problems upon arrival

54 minutes ago, Randyandyuni said:

My stepson arrived November 2016, spoke no English. he started kindergarten in January 2017 and was cuuent with his class by June, today you wouldn't know he didn't grow up here. The fundamentals taught in Filipino schools exceeds that in the public schools here, she should have no problems upon arrival

I think adults always underestimate how quickly kids integrate, especially the younger ones. They have an immediate routine and social circle from school, and learn English so fast both from the ESL programs in school and the fact that they are speaking English all day in school.

4 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

i have 7 years old daughter,she spoke zero english when we arrive in the US...we got here 3 months ago with k1/k2 visa..i guess you should not worry too much about the kid english influency they learn faster than adults.

regardless of the fact that children learn other languages easier than adults, the OP has stated that finances were a concern at the time.  

It would be faster if you filed for the child as your step-child.  The process will take approximately 12-18 months for a step-child of a USC vs 24+ for a child of an LPR. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

33 minutes ago, NikLR said:

regardless of the fact that children learn other languages easier than adults, the OP has stated that finances were a concern at the time.  

It would be faster if you filed for the child as your step-child.  The process will take approximately 12-18 months for a step-child of a USC vs 24+ for a child of an LPR. 

yes it would be much faster

just trying to alleviate a concern the OP seemed to have

Is it to our advantage for me to adopt her first? can I do that from the US? do I adopt her first in Phils?  Do I just apply for a  485 or 130 for her, what am I to do to get the ball rolling. Her mom will have been here 3 years in July, 2019. Is it better to wait and have her mom send for her after she's a citizen? How long does it take after her 3 years is up before she can become a citizen? thanks all.

4 hours ago, cattis said:

Is it to our advantage for me to adopt her first? can I do that from the US? do I adopt her first in Phils?  Do I just apply for a  485 or 130 for her, what am I to do to get the ball rolling. Her mom will have been here 3 years in July, 2019. Is it better to wait and have her mom send for her after she's a citizen? How long does it take after her 3 years is up before she can become a citizen? thanks all.

It was already answered that adoption is not needed to immigrate the daughter. Adoption is a separate process than petitioning her. People often link adoption and immigration together when they are not.

If you adopt, it will be a personal decision.

The time it takes to bring her daughter here is the same whether your wife is a permanent resident or citizen.

File for the daughter now, then once she is in the US you can adopt her. But again, it will have nothing to do with immigration.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
On 11/14/2018 at 8:35 PM, cattis said:

Quickest way for her to immigrate is for you to file as her USC stepfather.   You start with an I-130.  An I-485 is not needed since she is not currently in the US.   Please read the Guides to educate yourself.

An adoption or her mother becoming a USC would allow you to file an I-864w since the child would qualify for US citizenship upon entering the US on an immigrant visa instead of meeting the requirements of the I-864.  

Edited by aaron2020

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.