Chrisunknown

Bank account, driving license and health insurance

18 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I appogies if I’ve put this in the wrong forum 

I’ve recently moved to California from England on a k1 visa we got got married it was amazing and perfect now it’s time to set everything up but I keep hitting hurdles

ive applied for AOS and my EAD and I have my SSN

we tried to get my driving license but can’t until I get my AOS even though I’ve held my UK one for 12 years

tried to get added to my wife’s bank and can’t without USA government id

the health insurance was the same and out of season or something like that

what have other people done or any advice would be grateful 

You should be able to add yourself to health insurance or take out a new policy using the Change of Circumstance (Marriage), as this is what I did in June when I came here from the UK and my husband doesn't have health insurance. I went to the healthcare.gov site and got my own policy. I had to show them marriage cert and AOS Notification and it's been fine since. You only have so long after you're married to qualify under change of circumstance though, but check it out anyway.

What bank were you trying? I was able to get my SSN and get a new bank account at Wells Fargo (that's my husbands bank). I used my UK passport too. 

Driving License, varies by state. I cannot get mine until I get my EAD card, BUT I have a international driving permit and my UK license so I am able to drive here for a year. Did you get one of these before you left the UK?

3 minutes ago, Chrisunknown said:

I’ve recently moved to California from England on a k1 visa we got got married it was amazing and perfect now it’s time to set everything up but I keep hitting hurdles

we tried to get my driving license but can’t until I get my AOS even though I’ve held my UK one for 12 years

my thoughts to you is when you get your paper NOA1 for your AOS:

1. Go to your local DMV and do the paperwork for the first time driver's license

2. Also get the paperwork to get a state ID

3. They may tell you that you have to get a document from DHS that states you're there lawfully. We had to. It will come. 

4. CALL the California DMV hotline and ask them for help.

Regarding bank: 

1. Pick a different bank to open a joint account. You have lawful legal presence. Take your marriage certificate, ask to speak to a manager and get it set up.

Regarding Health insurance:

You CAN get it with your marriage license and SSN.

It sounds like you guys are dealing with incredibly inept individuals and I am sorry to hear that. We are here to help!

Timeline

On my wife’s policy we only had like three weeks and it took us longer to get our marriage certificate and my ssn so will look into my own policy and is this a legal requirement for the AOS

That’s what we are going to do today go to other banks and see what we can do

i spoke to the dmv and they said I need my green card and how do you drive here with the international permit as you need insurance and again they needed a state id

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You can get an AB 60 License in CA.

Shop around for a Bank, obviously many will do it.

I needed EAD to get a regular license in CO.

Health Insurance, marriage is a qualifying event so get added to your Spouse cover.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
23 minutes ago, Chrisunknown said:

On my wife’s policy we only had like three weeks and it took us longer to get our marriage certificate and my ssn so will look into my own policy and is this a legal requirement for the AOS

That’s what we are going to do today go to other banks and see what we can do

i spoke to the dmv and they said I need my green card and how do you drive here with the international permit as you need insurance and again they needed a state id

If you have your SS card, then you should be able to get your DL, valid till your I-94 expiration date.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/connect/f9f62bc7-49bf-4b89-92e7-77fe7f9b7ab0/DLIDCardOptions.pdf?MOD=AJPERES&CVID=

"Unexpired foreign passport with valid U.S. visa and approved I-94 form " is on the Identity Document list.

Also, according to the link, to their own Policy, you are eligible to get Dl with I-765 (EAD card), no need to wait for an actual green card.

Very often DMV clerks have no idea how it works with immigrants. So, I'd advice to  get the requirements printed  and just  go there. Talk to a supervisor, if a clerk you face first is clueless.

Good luck!

Edited by Ksenia_O

My husband moved here from the UK also and he had to take the written and practical tests to get his driver's license, which took about 3 months to even get an appointment to do the actual driving test, but he was able to use his UK license here, just like you would if you came to visit and rented a car.  You don't need the "international driver's license", either.

Mar 2014 - Married

5/7/14?? - Attorney mailed paperwork

5/15/14 DHS cashed check

5/19/14 - NOA1 received with PD 5/12/14

10/17/14 - NOA2 received

10/28/14 - Email received that file has been sent to NVC

11/13/14 - NVC received file

12/10/14 - NVC Assigned case number

12/12/14 - AOS Fee Invoiced

12/13/14 - Submit email to NVC to remove attorney as DS-261 Agent

12/16/14 - AOS Fee showing as Paid

12/17/14 - IV Fee invoiced

12/20/14 - IV fee available and paid

12/27/14 - DS-260 submitted

1/2/15 - AOS and IV packages sent to NVC

1/5/15 - USPS delivered packages to NVC

1/7/15 - NVC scanned in packages. Let the countdown begin...

1/30/15 - FINALLY got a reply to my email to remove the attorney from the DS-261

3/9/15 - Called NVC and they have checklisted us for an "incorrect" decree absolute from the UK, even though it is the legal official document. Have requested a supervisor review.

4/28/15 - Called and NVC said supervisor had reviewed and now claimed that the decree absolute was not included. After disagreeing with the less than helpful lady on the phone, and her not being able to get the review time right. (She kept changing her story between 42 days and 30 days).

4/30/15 - Sent the same copy of the decree absolute to the NVC from the UK, highlighting the "decree absolute" wording with a letter stating that this is the only document provided by the UK government.

5/6/15 - Scan date for checklist received.

6/5/15 - Case complete!!!

6/12/15 - Called and interview is scheduled for July 1!

6/14/15 - Received email with interview date and instructions.

6/19/15 - Case showing as ready on CEAC.

7/1/15 - Approved at interview!!!

7/6/15 - CEAC changed to Administrative Processing

7/7/15 - CEAC changed to Issued!!!!!

7/10/15 - Passport and packet delivered!

7/29/15 - Husband entered with visa at Dallas/Fort Worth airport

9/29/15 - GC delivered!!!

5/4/17 - ROC packet sent via USPS

5/9/17 - Tracking shows delivered

5/17/17 - Check cashed

5/19/17 - NOA1 received with date of 5/8/17

5/27/17 - Biometrics appt received 6/8/17

Timeline

OP is in CA and they have a very limited period for new residents to get a CA license.

As anything this varied by State, so what worked for you would not always apply to somebody else.

IDP, there is no License is just a translation so not needed for somebody from the UK.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Thank you all for the advice

we managed to get the bank account all sorted we just provided proof of identity my UK passport my ss card and a noa1 letter with my USA address for proof of address

i will call the dmv hotline and see what they have to say about everything as you all make valid points and I currently don’t need to drive here but will when I get my ead most likely so would like to get it all sorted sooner than later

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: El Salvador
Timeline
8 hours ago, Chrisunknown said:

I currently don’t need to drive here but will when I get my ead most likely so would like to get it all sorted sooner than later

Highlights from https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffdl32/ (corroborated by my personal experience):

• The expiration date will match the I-94 expiration date.
  • It will say "LIMITED-TERM" in between CLASS and END (Endorsements).
  • The last 2 digits of the DD (Document Discriminator) code will be "23", as in the year 2023*. *If you pay the license fee in 2018, the fee will be valid until your birthday in the year 2023. So no need to pay any fees when you renew the limited-term license.

Yes, there will be a gap between I-94 expiration and EAD approval.

I personally don't recommend it, but some users have said to apply for an AB 60 license instead:

15 hours ago, Ksenia_O said:

If you have your SS card, then you should be able to get your DL, valid till your I-94 expiration date.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/connect/f9f62bc7-49bf-4b89-92e7-77fe7f9b7ab0/DLIDCardOptions.pdf?MOD=AJPERES&CVID=

Even then they have an "I do not have a SSN" option that covers illegals that have never been eligible to receive a SSN.

15 hours ago, Ksenia_O said:

Very often DMV clerks have no idea how it works with immigrants. So, I'd advice to  get the requirements printed  and just  go there. Talk to a supervisor, if a clerk you face first is clueless.

^^This 100%. CA DMV clerks tend to be inept. Request a supervisor when you encounter issues. I know someone that entered 2 months ago with an IR-2 visa, thus had an endorsed MRIV in her passport. The DMV clerks told her to come back when she received the GC; they were wrong according to their own policy, SMH.

Your Input Is Appreciated On This VJ Guide Proposal: 

9 hours ago, Chrisunknown said:

we managed to get the bank account all sorted we just provided proof of identity my UK passport my ss card and a noa1 letter with my USA address for proof of address

i will call the dmv hotline and see what they have to say about everything as you all make valid points and I currently don’t need to drive here but will when I get my ead most likely so would like to get it all sorted sooner than later

I had to wait for my EAD before I could get my license. There is a license for illegal immigrants in California (AB60) but we didn't go down that route. You might give it a try though. I think you need to prove that you don't have a legal status in order to qualify for it but I'm not sure how it works if you are actually here legally but without an EAD

And you can't use your foreign license for more than 10 days after entry in California if you're a resident of California (which you are). So be careful with that. You don't need an international license either. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: El Salvador
Timeline
21 minutes ago, Orangesapples said:

I think you need to prove that you don't have a legal status in order to qualify for it but I'm not sure how it works if you are actually here legally but without an EAD.

For AB 60, applicants just have to declare that they are unable to submit satisfactory proof (according to CA DMV flawed policies, imo, not DHS policies) of legal presence in the United States (e.g. the NOA1 for AOS showing authorized stay allowed by the U.S. Attorney General is not accepted by CA DMV). In my case, AB 60 was not optimal because I have a Commercial DL and AB 60 does not allow to apply for a Commercial DL; otherwise I would have considered AB 60 if it was the only option for a DL.

Edited by TM92

Your Input Is Appreciated On This VJ Guide Proposal: 

17 hours ago, Chrisunknown said:

I called the DMV before and after I arrived in the US to make sure that I'd be able to drive and was told that I'd need to have the International Driving PERMIT (from the UK) to go with my UK license should I get pulled over by the police as its issued by the Post Office in collaboration with the AA. This was also used to get car insurance. Agreed each state is different, but wanted to let people know that it MAY be a requirement. 

Once I have EAD I'll be doing the driving test stuff, but this will do until that time comes.

Timeline

People have already commented on the competency of the DMV so no need to say more.

In CA new residents have 10 days on their out of state, or out of country license. Seems the most restrictive one.

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 4:47 PM, Chrisunknown said:

I added my wife to my bank account and health insurance within her first 5 weeks of her arrival here in the United States. We live in Pennsylvania. I tried to apply for a Pennsylvania Identification Card at our local DMV for her but, they said we couldn't without some sort of United States Identification. The same went for a Driver's License. Her K-1 Visa did not suffice. They wanted a Green Card, initially. I explained to them that we would need to wait to get one of those and so, they asked for an Employment Authorization card. We are currently Adjusting her Status and so, we will have to wait for at least her Employment Authorization card to come in the mail to get her some sort of Pennsylvania identification.

Edited by visaquestions123

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.