Chrisunknown

Bank account, driving license and health insurance

18 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
51 minutes ago, visaquestions123 said:

I added my wife to my bank account and health insurance within her first 5 weeks of her arrival here in the United States. We live in Pennsylvania. I tried to apply for a Pennsylvania Identification Card at our local DMV for her but, they said we couldn't without some sort of United States Identification. The same went for a Driver's License. Her K-1 Visa did not suffice. They wanted a Green Card, initially. I explained to them that we would need to wait to get one of those and so, they asked for an Employment Authorization card. We are currently Adjusting her Status and so, we will have to wait for at least her Employment Authorization card to come in the mail to get her some sort of Pennsylvania identification.

She should be able to get her DL, if she has a ss card and AOS pending.

"Applicants for adjustment of status, Required Docs:   Social Security Card, or a letter from the SSA indicating ineligibility for a SSN F

2 proofs of residency

Immigration documentation indicating status such as I-797 Receipt Notice, Biometrics Notice, Interview Notice, Court Order of Immigration Court hearing notice

One of the following: • Employment Authorization (EAD) Card I-766

• Valid Passport

• Copies of documents certified by the Applicant's attorney or by an accredited Board of Immigration Appeals (BIA) representative may be permitted if person's passport is held by                                                                                                                          immigration agencies in court procedure

http://www.dot.state.pa.us/Public/DVSPubsForms/BDL/BDL Publications/pub 195nc.pdf

p.4 

Also, according to the PUB 195NC 4-17 (the link above), p. 8 -  a K1 is eligible for DL.

Required Docs: Valid Passport, Valid I-94, Visa, Social Security Card, or a letter from the SSA indicating ineligibility for a SSN, Marriage Certificate showing proof of marriage to U.S. Citizen,  Proof of Citizenship of spouse, 2 proofs of residency.

Of course a DL for a K1 visa holder is usually given, valid till I-94 expiration date. But still - eligible. And later -  it should be possible to renew a DL  with one of those I-797 Notice , from the list of required docs for applicants for AOS .

But I know - very often it is really hard to "educate' DMV employees . And it's not always a win :(

Edited by Ksenia_O

20 minutes ago, Ksenia_O said:

She should be able to get her DL, if she has a ss card and AOS pending.

"Applicants for adjustment of status, Required Docs:   Social Security Card, or a letter from the SSA indicating ineligibility for a SSN F

2 proofs of residency

Immigration documentation indicating status such as I-797 Receipt Notice, Biometrics Notice, Interview Notice, Court Order of Immigration Court hearing notice

One of the following: • Employment Authorization (EAD) Card I-766

• Valid Passport

• Copies of documents certified by the Applicant's attorney or by an accredited Board of Immigration Appeals (BIA) representative may be permitted if person's passport is held by                                                                                                                          immigration agencies in court procedure

http://www.dot.state.pa.us/Public/DVSPubsForms/BDL/BDL Publications/pub 195nc.pdf

p.4 

Also, according to the PUB 195NC 4-17 (the link above), p. 8 -  a K1 is eligible for DL.

Required Docs: Valid Passport, Valid I-94, Visa, Social Security Card, or a letter from the SSA indicating ineligibility for a SSN, Marriage Certificate showing proof of marriage to U.S. Citizen,  Proof of Citizenship of spouse, 2 proofs of residency.

Of course a DL for a K1 visa holder is usually given, valid till I-94 expiration date. But still - eligible. And later -  it should be possible to renew a DL  with one of those I-797 Notice , from the list of required docs for applicants for AOS .

But I know - very often it is really hard to "educate' DMV employees . And it's not always a win :(

Yeah, I reckon it will be very difficult to stand there and explain all of that to the DMV employees. :D I tried but, they just didn't seem to comprehend how to handle an adjusting K-1 visa holder. Unfortunately, adjusting from K-1 to a Green Card is such an awkward status that it confuses most people. Sometimes, I don't even blame them for not understanding.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Just now, visaquestions123 said:

Yeah, I reckon it will be very difficult to stand there and explain all of that to the DMV employees. :D I tried but, they just didn't seem to comprehend how to handle an adjusting K-1 visa holder. Unfortunately, adjusting from K-1 to a Green Card is such an awkward status that it confuses most people. Sometimes, I don't even blame them for not understanding.

We got  Pub printed (for the State of Missouri) and asked for a supervisor once we walked in DMV office.  She seemed was really willing to help...and didn't mind to learn something new :)

My first DL was issued with K-1 visa, shortly after my arrival. It was valid till I-94 exp.date. Once I got my EAD,  had the DL renewed. And 'normal", valid for 7 years Missouri DL was issued, when I had my conditional green card.

Our friends (they live in Georgia) did the same thing and they were able to get her DL with K1 visa as well. And when she had her I-797 of I-485 pending, they  "extended" her DL for 4 more months, assuming that her EAD should've  arrived by that time.

Very often it all depends on DMV - even in the same State they can operate differently..I guess it depends how they read (if they do) their one Instructions and Pubs.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.