Umka36

Northbound migrant group doubles in size, enters Guatemala

60 posts in this topic

before mechanized infantry, 4 miles per hour was considered a fast but sustainable pace for a trained army (this number was consistent since roman times to more modern contemporary armies)

using the aforementioned 75 miles a day, if they can sustain that rate, it would take 18+ hours of marching a day to travel that distance .... 7 days /week

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

https://www.hgwdavie.com/blog/2017/5/20/the-tempo-of-operations

This is a useful article, now nay Army can not march continuously at the speed of the best, 15 miles a day seems a better norm but you will need rest days etc.

! would say 15 miles a day is a much more realistic number.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

2 minutes ago, Boiler said:

https://www.hgwdavie.com/blog/2017/5/20/the-tempo-of-operations

This is a useful article, now nay Army can not march continuously at the speed of the best, 15 miles a day seems a better norm but you will need rest days etc.

! would say 15 miles a day is a much more realistic number.

That's why I covered myself with the if, I agree unsustainable for untrained, poorly supplied general populace

1 hour ago, Randyandyuni said:

before mechanized infantry, 4 miles per hour was considered a fast but sustainable pace for a trained army (this number was consistent since roman times to more modern contemporary armies)

using the aforementioned 75 miles a day, if they can sustain that rate, it would take 18+ hours of marching a day to travel that distance .... 7 days /week

I walk 3 to 4 miles most days. A 4mph pace is almost a slow jog.  Seems like back in my grunt days we did 20 mile hikes at a insane pace . Forgot how long it took, but it was wicked tough 

19 minutes ago, Marty Byrde said:

I walk 3 to 4 miles most days. A 4mph pace is almost a slow jog.  Seems like back in my grunt days we did 20 mile hikes at a insane pace . Forgot how long it took, but it was wicked tough 

Even with a ruck sack on the average is about 4-5 mph if your really moving. But the average I have seen is really 3-4 with a 100lb rucksack.

1 hour ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

Even with a ruck sack on the average is about 4-5 mph if your really moving. But the average I have seen is really 3-4 with a 100lb rucksack.

My old out of shape pace is about 3.5. I am fortunate a lap around our parking area is an exact mile and the bosses dont care 

I do think about 70 was our ruck weight. I hated being toward the end. The accordion effect was brutal . I always got the base plate or tube for the mortar 

Edited by Marty Byrde

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
14 minutes ago, Marty Byrde said:

. I always got the base plate or tube for the mortar 

i bet you two had meaningful conversations...

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

15 minutes ago, Marty Byrde said:

My old out of shape pace is about 3.5. I am fortunate a lap around our parking area is an exact mile and the bosses dont care 

I do think about 70 was our ruck weight. I hated being toward the end. The accordion effect was brutal . I always got the base plate or tube for the mortar 

Yeah I am doing ok right now because I have been trying to work more on cardio not just muscles. Luckily where I work they used 

to take an hour 3 times a week from work for physical health. Which they just now allowed us to start doing it again after a month of not allowing us due to higher headquarters.

When were you in? The weight limit with the ruck, kevlar, flak jacket with accompanying magazines, first aid kit, and gas mask was over 100lbs. Which at the ripe old age of 35 I am starting to feel it in my knees. 

I hated the accordion effect so much especially If you hated shorter Marines in front of you. They used to rotate companies from front to back every couple miles. Which we had a short (5'2) Honduran guy in my platoon and I always had to help carry his pack on the long marches because he was just too short. We used to joke with him that his daughters were going to end up taller than him and the last time I saw a picture of him his daughter was taller than him at 15.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

All the algebra of above aside, those Prospective Democrats had better shake it if they want to make it on time.

However, they probably won't be in the finest shape to crash the border, thus defeating the purpose of the exodus.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
12 hours ago, Marty Byrde said:

Can't comment on the weight thing, I used to move around with fire gear and an SCBA regularly, but we did not do 20 mile runs with that on.  I am happy to say that I can still maintain a little over 5 mph without the weight.  Now when I run with the wife or the dog, it drops down to about 4 mph.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Was just thinking, Canada seems to be very open to new immigrants.  Can't we load all these people up on a train an send them north?

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
3 hours ago, Neonred said:

Can't we load all these people up on a train an send them north?

They need to stop here first and vote Democrat as a prerequisite.

We can hand out ballots (in Spanish) and collect them before U.S. exit.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Timeline
4 hours ago, Neonred said:

Was just thinking, Canada seems to be very open to new immigrants.  Can't we load all these people up on a train an send them north?

Unfortunately we can't as the US has an agreement with Canada in which asylum seekers are required to file for asylum on the first country they enter. Smart move by the Canadians in my opinion. We have no such agreement with Mexico, and why would they sign such an agreement. It's no benefit to them.

1 hour ago, Umka36 said:

Unfortunately we can't as the US has an agreement with Canada in which asylum seekers are required to file for asylum on the first country they enter. Smart move by the Canadians in my opinion. We have no such agreement with Mexico, and why would they sign such an agreement. It's no benefit to them.

Fascinating as I was not privy to the further nuances of asylum and refugee applications. By Cold War definitions (when the terms first world, etc. arose), Mexico is a third world country. With that understanding, I would presume that's why US can't enter into a Dublin Resolution-like agreement with Mexico -- of this, I am not really sure.

However, the "safe third country" and the "first country of asylum" concepts are not only applied between US-Canada borders, but to EU borders and other developed countries as well. This 2015 paper examines how the concept was applied in Spain, South Africa, and the US: http://www.unhcr.org/59c4be077.pdf

THE SAFE THIRD COUNTRY CONCEPT IN INTERNATIONAL AGREEMENTS ON REFUGEE PROTECTION ASSESSING STATE PRACTICE

Excerpt: 

"... These debates show that the “safe third country” and “first country of asylum” concepts were key from the beginning in the attempts to articulate the phenomenon of international cooperation to address secondary movements of refugees. More recently, debates hosted by UNHCR have highlighted that defining secondary movements, and with it, the assessment of States’ cooperation in relation to them, remain controversial..."

Edited by lierre

“The fact that we are here and that I speak these words is an attempt to break that silence and bridge some
of those differences between us, for it is not difference which immobilizes us, but silence.
And there are so many silences to be broken.”

Audre Lorde