Jpeach94

Not enough photos supplied for AOS packet - possible to send them before receiving RFE?

16 posts in this topic

Hi,

I have mistakenly only included two passport photos with my AOS packet with the I-485 plus employment authorization and advanced parole forms. 

Does anyone have any experience with this, have you received an RFE for lack of photos? Is it possible to send additional photos to USCIS to avoid getting an RFE? The packet has just arrived at the Chicago lockbox and I don’t have the NOA1 yet.

I am adjusting from a K1 visa if that makes any difference. Apologies if this post is in the wrong place!

Any advice would be most appreciated, naturally I am worried about this causing a large delay and annoyed at myself for not realizing each form required their own pictures.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Jpeach94 said:

Hi,

I have mistakenly only included two passport photos with my AOS packet with the I-485 plus employment authorization and advanced parole forms. 

Does anyone have any experience with this, have you received an RFE for lack of photos? Is it possible to send additional photos to USCIS to avoid getting an RFE? The packet has just arrived at the Chicago lockbox and I don’t have the NOA1 yet.

I am adjusting from a K1 visa if that makes any difference. Apologies if this post is in the wrong place!

Any advice would be most appreciated, naturally I am worried about this causing a large delay and annoyed at myself for not realizing each form required their own pictures.

We didn't send any photos at all. Not of the little court house ceremony, nothing.  No issues. Can save them for the interview if you want to.

The photos required are passport size photos for the combo card and such. We only sent in 4 total and only attached to the I-485, still no issues.

Edited by Ben&Zian

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Sorry, yes to clarify I mean the passport size photos of myself. I’ve seen posts saying that two may not result in an RFE the perceived wisdom seems to be two for each form. 

I’d love to just send the additional photos now but I’m not sure where to send them as I believe the Chicago location is just an initial location before the application is processed elsewhere?

12 minutes ago, TNJ17 said:

They’ll never get it to the right case. Just wait for RFE. Next time double check and triple check everything to avoid RFEs. 

Yes you need 6 in total. 2 for each form. The reason? I485 is adjudicated at your local service centre while EAD/AP are processed at the National Benefits Centre. 

Too late to send them now UNLESS they dont receive your package in Chicago for the lack of photos and send it back to you. Otherwise you will just have to wait for your RFE.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

If you file AOS/EAD and advance parole you only need only 4 of them apparently but to be on the safe side I sent 6 but I don't think it's necessary ;)

But 2 is not enough for sure. @Jpeach94 I don't think you have the choice except waiting for an RFE, unfortunately.

K-1 Visa

05-16-2018: Interview (Approved)

05-23-2018: Visa Issued

08-02-2018: P.O.E Austin

08-24-2018: Married :)

AOS/EAD/AP:

09-05-2018: Package sent.                                                                 10-29-2018: New application sent.

09-11-2018: AOS/EAD/AP NOA-1                                                      11-05-2018: Reception text messages

09-12-2018: Request expedite AP                                                     11-06-2018: Fees cashed

09-12-2018: Expedite AP USCIS answer (request evidence).       11-07-2018: Expedite AP requested

09-13-2018: Evidence Fax sent                                                          11-08-2018: Expedite AP denied

09-14-2018: Notice for biometrics                                                    11-09-2018: NOA1 Hard copies

10-03-2018: Biometrics appointment                                               11-28-2018: Biometrics

10-20-2018: Rejected! (Check bounced) 😢                                   02-07-2019: Interview Notice

03-07-2019: Interview

03-07-2019: Card is being produced 🤗🤗🤗

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

We sent just two pics. And  never had any RFE due to this. Got my EAD card within 70 days. Well, it was 2014 - now it takes longer.

But  that was my experience, and in any other case an RFE may or may not be issued. They are using pictures, taken during biometric appointment anyway, so don't be stressed out because of that - just wait and see what happens.

Even if RFE for pics shows up in the mail box, it will be an easy fix, right? :)

Timeline
44 minutes ago, K1visaHopeful said:

Yes you need 6 in total. 2 for each form. The reason? I485 is adjudicated at your local service centre while EAD/AP are processed at the National Benefits Centre. 

Too late to send them now UNLESS they dont receive your package in Chicago for the lack of photos and send it back to you. Otherwise you will just have to wait for your RFE.

I-485 from K-1 is not always processed by local office.

All AOS applications are sent to NBC (MO). And then this Office determines if a case needs an interview. If so - case "goes" to your local USCIS office, if interview waived - NBC can make a decision or if they are backlogged, they can even start sending   cases to ANY other Offices.  I live in MO, but my conditional green card was approved in Tampa, FL.

It's been brought up that all K1s now go through interview, but it's still not the case and a lot of people get approval without one. 

Edited by Ksenia_O

3 minutes ago, Ksenia_O said:

I-485 from K-1 is not always processed by local office.

All AOS applications are sent to NBC (MO). And then this Office determines if a case needs an interview. If so - case "goes" to your local USCIS office, if interview waived - NBC can make a decision or if they are backlogged, they can even start sending   cases to ANY other Offices.  I live in MO, but my conditional green card was approved in Tampa, FL.

It's been brought up that all K1s now go through interview, but it's still not the case and a lot of people get approval without one. 

So let's hope that this filer is lucky then and it all gets processed at the same service center and they dont have to worry about submitting more than 2 passport photos like the instructions implicitly state.

Timeline
Just now, K1visaHopeful said:

So let's hope that this filer is lucky then and it all gets processed at the same service center and they dont have to worry about submitting more than 2 passport photos like the instructions implicitly state.

Hope so :)

If not - if will be "an easy to respond" RFE

Thank you all for your responses and guidance so far!

I’m assuming an easy to respond to RFE will still result in a sizeable delay. That being said I will make sure I have the photos ready to be sent if need be.

Its frustrating that I can’t simply send the photos now before my case is even processed to correct the error. 

I assumed with biometrics taking photos for the green card that the photos would only be needed for the EAD/AP which as it’s an offshoot of the I-485 and a combo card would be processed in the same place. 

I should have thought about this earlier but  the number of passport photos required isn’t made particularly clear and seems unnecessary considering the photos will presumably be scanned and made digital for the card anyway. Frustrating. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, Jpeach94 said:

Thank you all for your responses and guidance so far!

I’m assuming an easy to respond to RFE will still result in a sizeable delay. That being said I will make sure I have the photos ready to be sent if need be.

Its frustrating that I can’t simply send the photos now before my case is even processed to correct the error. 

I assumed with biometrics taking photos for the green card that the photos would only be needed for the EAD/AP which as it’s an offshoot of the I-485 and a combo card would be processed in the same place. 

I should have thought about this earlier but  the number of passport photos required isn’t made particularly clear and seems unnecessary considering the photos will presumably be scanned and made digital for the card anyway. Frustrating. 

You won't definitely get an RFE for this. There are many people, in almost every AOS thread, who  choose to only send the 2 with the I-485 and never get an RFE.

Read this - hopefully, it will bring you some peace in mind.

Edited by Ksenia_O

1 minute ago, Ksenia_O said:

You won't definitely get an RFE for this. There many people, in almost every AOS thread, who  choose to only send the 2 with the I-485 and never get an RFE.

Read this - probably, could give you some peace in mind. 

That is very reassuring! Thank you. 

If I get an RFE then I’ll just have to be prepared for it but sounds like there’s no point in worrying now and it’s not a sure thing!

Thanks for all the advice, I’m glad I asked about it on the forum

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Finland
Timeline
19 hours ago, Jpeach94 said:

Hi,

Did you send the i-94 and the passport copies etc. 3 times? (For 485, 131 and 765). Or can I just send the passport copy and i-94 one time when I file them altogether?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Send at least one set of copies with your I-485 and another set with your EAD/AP documents. If you're not confident just send a copy for each one, it's just a matter of a few cents ;)

K-1 Visa

05-16-2018: Interview (Approved)

05-23-2018: Visa Issued

08-02-2018: P.O.E Austin

08-24-2018: Married :)

AOS/EAD/AP:

09-05-2018: Package sent.                                                                 10-29-2018: New application sent.

09-11-2018: AOS/EAD/AP NOA-1                                                      11-05-2018: Reception text messages

09-12-2018: Request expedite AP                                                     11-06-2018: Fees cashed

09-12-2018: Expedite AP USCIS answer (request evidence).       11-07-2018: Expedite AP requested

09-13-2018: Evidence Fax sent                                                          11-08-2018: Expedite AP denied

09-14-2018: Notice for biometrics                                                    11-09-2018: NOA1 Hard copies

10-03-2018: Biometrics appointment                                               11-28-2018: Biometrics

10-20-2018: Rejected! (Check bounced) 😢                                   02-07-2019: Interview Notice

03-07-2019: Interview

03-07-2019: Card is being produced 🤗🤗🤗

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.