Kennycat

Marriage Cancellation or Divorce

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hello good people of VJs 

I need feedback and good advice for my friend. He just got marriage like a month ago and he told me that his wife said she is not interested in marriage anymore that she found someone else after marriage. And she mention to him that she wanted to cancell the manage...so i don't know if cancellation will affect my friend in future if he finds his own love....or he should just go for divorce.....i hope my English and question will be understand.....thanks in advance waiting for d advice!!!@

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Is your friend in the US? How did he get here? 

A "cancel " of a marriage is called annul. If you get an annulment (cancelation) it's as though the marriage never took place so any immigrant Visa that took place would disappear.  

They are generally very difficult to get though. 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, EandH0904 said:

A "cancel " of a marriage is called annul. If you get an annulment (cancelation) it's as though the marriage never took place so any immigrant Visa that took place would disappear.  

Thanks so much he got here on tourist visa and they met couple of months ago.....did marriage last month.....if the marriage cancel hope that wont affect him in future if he remarry?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
Just now, Kennycat said:

Thanks so much he got here on tourist visa and they met couple of months ago.....did marriage last month.....if the marriage cancel hope that wont affect him in future if he remarry?

Did he come here on a tourist Visa and knowingly get married and adjust status? Have they tried to adjust status yet? Normally using a divorce waiver would be ok but with a marriage of only one month it will be hard for your friend to prove it was a real relationship.  

In order for him NOT to have it be an issue in future he needs to divorce as soon as possible and GO HOME before his tourist visa runs out and he overstays. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, EandH0904 said:

Did he come here on a tourist Visa and knowingly get married and adjust status? Have they tried to adjust status yet? Normally using a divorce waiver would be ok but with a marriage of only one month it will be hard for your friend to prove it was a real relationship.  

In order for him NOT to have it be an issue in future he needs to divorce as soon as possible and GO HOME before his tourist visa runs out and he overstays. 

They hv not applied for adjust status yet....He said he has been here since last year and his visa has already expired n overstayed i think

Filed: K-1 Visa Country:
Timeline
38 minutes ago, EandH0904 said:

There’s no divorce waiver for adjustment of status. If he’s no longer married he no longer has a reason to adjust status. If he annuls the marriage, he will have to go back to his home country. An annulment won’t affect any future marriages. Neither will a divorce. A person can marry and divorce however many times they want. If his I-94 is expired and he gets an annulment/divorce without filing for AOS, he will have overstayed (which most people who come here on a tourist visa and get married do) his allowed stay in the US and it will jeopardize future entries/visa applications to the US. Again he can only apply for AOS if he’s still married. Otherwise he has no reason to stay in the US and must go home immediately. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
8 hours ago, EandH0904 said:

Annulments don't make immigrant visas go away. You can file for ROC, for example, after an annulment, but not for AOS.

Each state has their own laws regarding divorce and annulments.  Annulments are harder to obtain than divorces.  Most states are "no fault" states so that you can just cite irreconcilable differences and divorce that way.  If your friend and his wife both agree to the divorce, they can prepare and sign all of the documents on their own without an attorney.  He'll want to check with the county in which they live to find out more about the procedures as it is possible in some counties/states for everything to be done quickly and he can leave the country asap.  However, if they cannot agree on terms of the divorce, or annulment, it may be difficult fr him to leave the country AND fight a legal battle of a divorce.  

The longer he stays in the us on an expired tourist visa without applying for an AOS (which it sounds like is no longer an option for him), the greater his jeopardy in the ability to get another visa in the future.

Good luck to your friend, he's got some tough decisions.  He may want to consult with an attorney.

Spoiler

Petitioner: USC | Applicant: B2 | (c)9 AOS (Marriage)

07/31/18: Filed I-130, I-130A

08/01/18: Delivered Potomac Processing Center

08/07/18: Text/Mail Notifications (for I-130)

08/14/18: Hard Copy NOA (for I-130)

08/24/18: Mailed I-485, I-765, I-864

08/27/18: Delivered

08/31/18: Filed

09/04/18: Text Notifications (for I-485, I-765, I-864)

09/06/18: Hard Copy NOA (for I-485, I-765, I-864)

09/14/18: Biometrics letter rec'd

09/26/18: Biometrics appt completed

10/02/18: Ready for interview to be scheduled.

12/18/18: Form I-130 APPROVED!

01/27/19: EAD Approved and card being printed!

02/02/19: Combo card and SSN card arrived!

03/08/19: Text and online notification that interview has been scheduled.

04/16/19: Interview.  AOS approval text rec'd.  Card in production!

04/24/19: GC in hand! 

Removal of Conditions

Here we go!

02/10/21: I-751 package sent

02/12/21: Delivered to Phoenix, AZ

03/22/21: Money order cashed

03/24/21: Text notification rec'd

03/25/21: NOA rec'd

04/30/21: Case updated: Fingerprints taken

06/27/22: Approved!  Card being produced!

07/05/22: 10-year GC in hand!

4vrsm5.pngN3Zem6.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
19 hours ago, Kennycat said:

Hello good people of VJs 

I need feedback and good advice for my friend. He just got marriage like a month ago and he told me that his wife said she is not interested in marriage anymore that she found someone else after marriage. And she mention to him that she wanted to cancell the manage...so i don't know if cancellation will affect my friend in future if he finds his own love....or he should just go for divorce.....i hope my English and question will be understand.....thanks in advance waiting for d advice!!!@

Seriously?!?!? What is going on in this world?!?! 🤦‍♂️

I recommend your friend signs up here for an account of his own where he can ask his own questions on this complex issue rather than passing messages this way. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
20 hours ago, Kennycat said:

Hello good people of VJs 

1 A short marriage should be fairly easy to resolve, he needs a Lawyer by the sound of it to process the Divorce.

2. He is out of status and needs to leave asap, the Divorce can be dealt with remotely. As an option he could divorce in his home country.

3. Once he is divorced he can of course re marry.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.