inneedofmyhb

Life threat I-130 Pending

42 posts in this topic

Hello,

Our I-130 is pending at the TSC.

Unfortunately, my husband has been in an on going battle with his ex wife. Her bf threatened my husbands life several times on the phone today (said was going to mail me his head in a box, was going to send him to the US in a wheelchair, etc.) and the phone call was being recorded. This man (the bf) from what we know is part of a “Mafia” in his country and my husband has stayed very clear of him.  During the phone call he (the bf) was told several times the call was being recorded but we assume he didn’t believe it. It is not illegal to record a call in Argentina.  My husband then contacted his lawyer, forwarded him the audios and the lawyer went to the police station and filed the police report. Since it is Sunday, tomorrow the police report will be presented to a judge, which then they will arrest the bf. Threats like this in that country are not taken lightly and now my poor husband and me, all the way over here are scared to death.

I have not spoken to our immigration attorney. But I am curious if there is any way to expedite his petition.  Argentina does not have a USCIS office. 

Sorry for for the long lost and thank you for reading. 

5 minutes ago, inneedofmyhb said:

Hello,

Our I-130 is pending at the TSC.

Unfortunately, my husband has been in an on going battle with his ex wife. Her bf threatened my husbands life several times on the phone today (said was going to mail me his head in a box, was going to send him to the US in a wheelchair, etc.) and the phone call was being recorded. This man (the bf) from what we know is part of a “Mafia” in his country and my husband has stayed very clear of him.  During the phone call he (the bf) was told several times the call was being recorded but we assume he didn’t believe it. It is not illegal to record a call in Argentina.  My husband then contacted his lawyer, forwarded him the audios and the lawyer went to the police station and filed the police report. Since it is Sunday, tomorrow the police report will be presented to a judge, which then they will arrest the bf. Threats like this in that country are not taken lightly and now my poor husband and me, all the way over here are scared to death.

I have not spoken to our immigration attorney. But I am curious if there is any way to expedite his petition.  Argentina does not have a USCIS office. 

Sorry for for the long lost and thank you for reading. 

I doubt it, as the threat is coming from an individual, rather than a government or insurgent force.  The assumption is that it is a matter for local law enforcement. 

Agreed, but there is no reason not to try.

https://www.uscis.gov/forms/expedite-criteria

Call USCIS and request it. They will request evidence a little later then make a decision.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

23 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

I doubt it, as the threat is coming from an individual, rather than a government or insurgent force.  The assumption is that it is a matter for local law enforcement. 

I was thinking the same thing. That the threat has to come from something bigger. It’s just a pretty scary situation since this guy is pretty crazy and involved with the “mafia.”

Thank you. 

1 minute ago, inneedofmyhb said:

I was thinking the same thing. That the threat has to come from something bigger. It’s just a pretty scary situation since this guy is pretty crazy and involved with the “mafia.”

Thank you. 

*Hugs*.  It does sound terrifying. When did you file?  Can he stay at a safe place with relatives?

33 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

*Hugs*.  It does sound terrifying. When did you file?  Can he stay at a safe place with relatives?

*Thank you* We barely filed in August. He is staying with his parents. Just not sure how much of a help that could be since their pretty up there in age. I’m actually going to visit for 3 weeks in October and honestly, now I’m scared to death. You just never know with these kinds of things. While I lived there last year, you heard and saw these things on the news all the time. It is a reality they live with all the time. 

1 hour ago, geowrian said:

Agreed, but there is no reason not to try.

https://www.uscis.gov/forms/expedite-criteria

Call USCIS and request it. They will request evidence a little later then make a decision.

I will call my lawyer first thing tomorrow morning and see what he says. But I am almost certain that expediting would never get approved. I am sure they’ve heard it all before. But thank you! 

21 minutes ago, inneedofmyhb said:

*Thank you* We barely filed in August. He is staying with his parents. Just not sure how much of a help that could be since their pretty up there in age. I’m actually going to visit for 3 weeks in October and honestly, now I’m scared to death. You just never know with these kinds of things. While I lived there last year, you heard and saw these things on the news all the time. It is a reality they live with all the time. 

I am sure @geowrianknows these things much better than me, but I wonder if you being there could help the expedite?   Also, is there a safer place than his parents' house, for the two of you?

Step 1 is doing whatever you need to do to be safe. That's always priority #1.

The main issue here is that the threat is a personal one, not a government/political one. As such, the local 4authorities would be the go-to resource.

I have seen some approvals when the local authorities were known to be essentially non-existent in such matters. I don't know Argentina well enough to say if that's the case, but it's not one I'm familiar with where the police corruption is so rampant that they are known by the USG to ignore serious threats.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Argentina is a big country, obvious thing to do is move somewhere else and not give out his phone number.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

That it is. I'm going for work there next week for the second time.

While it's threatening, like others have said probably not near enough for expedite. Minus calls, if there physical proof you can give to prove it? Without actual hard evidence probably won't happen. And just being one random crazy person making threats probably not near enough to warrant an expedite.

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

10 hours ago, inneedofmyhb said:

Husband then contacted his lawyer, forwarded him the audios and the lawyer went to the police station and filed the police report. Since it is Sunday, tomorrow the police report will be presented to a judge, which then they will arrest the bf. Threats like this in that country are not taken lightly and now my poor husband and me, all the way over here are scared to death.

Excuse my naive question. But since the police already takes care of him and arrests him today, isn't your husband safe then? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

May want to have him visit a local armory as they call the gun stores there. No fully automatic, but looks like everything else is in the table. And a permit to carry will only take about 10 days to process, maybe even faster since you have made a report to the local authorities showing a legitimate reason for the permit.

Posted some information below, looks like gun sales are up by over 50 percent lately due to violence and robberies.

It is actually not that restrictive. 
But when you go to a gun shop the sellers already have all the circus ready for you. You go, pay, and provide the papers required by law (you can’t have psicological problems to own a gun or criminal records) and they will do all the papers for you. Once they are they call you for a few signatures and you got your weapon.

Then you are registered in the National Registry for Fire Arms. Other answer here says the RENAR (now ANMAC) depends on the Ministry of Defense, it is incorrect. It is part of the Justice Ministry.

https://www.renar.gov.ar/

You can have pistol, revolvers, hunting rifles, semi auto rifles, combat rifles as a Mauser Argentine Modell or Kar-98 or Winchester. 
Being a collector (special license and proper facilities with enhanced security) you can have war weapons, even tanks. But the RENAR will go and neutralize their firing systems so you can’t fire them. Automatic weapons that are already in civilian hands have a modification to neutralize automatic fire..

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Bersa have a good reputation look at the BP9 for CC.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.