485 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
9 hours ago, Scottish Mernymph said:

I'm having a last minute meltdown....my appointment is on Thursday & my attorney has given me a list of things to gather, mostly down to my unusual(& totally awful) set of circumstances....but am I missing something-what would I normally be needing to take with me in terms of documentation etc, is there a checklist somewhere please? I can't find one anywhere & I'm losing my mind!

It’s all the same docs you sent with your I-485.   Birth certificates for both, previous marriage (death and divorce if applicable) certificates, current marriage certificate, proof you are a legit married couple - pics, both names on accounts, mortgage, rental agreement, utilities, etc.   Proof of US citizens residency, including their passport.  Affidavit of support.  Absolutely nothing you haven’t already submitted.  Take originals with you if possible along with copy of everything.    Our interview is Wednesday.  Good luck!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline
23 hours ago, Scottish Mernymph said:

I'm having a last minute meltdown....my appointment is on Thursday & my attorney has given me a list of things to gather, mostly down to my unusual(& totally awful) set of circumstances....but am I missing something-what would I normally be needing to take with me in terms of documentation etc, is there a checklist somewhere please? I can't find one anywhere & I'm losing my mind!

Under section IV of the following guide are some examples of evidence as a widow of a USC:

https://www.visajourney.com/content/immigrate-to-america-widow-er-of-us-citizen/

Good luck, Merny! 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
24 minutes ago, fip & jim said:

Under section IV of the following guide are some examples of evidence as a widow of a USC:

https://www.visajourney.com/content/immigrate-to-america-widow-er-of-us-citizen/

Good luck, Merny! 

Thank you so much ❤️

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Hong Kong
Timeline
1 hour ago, Joey.C said:

OMG I finally got Case is ready for interview!!!imageproxy.php?img=&key=da9b9b78549feebe How long does it take to get interview letter after that

You won’t get a letter yet til the status becomes “Interview was Scheduled”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Haiti
Timeline
20 hours ago, Lucy&Jason said:

You won’t get a letter yet til the status becomes “Interview was Scheduled”

The I 485 status changed to interview was scheduled this morning!!!I can't believe that happen in 3 days. How long does it take to get the letter?

Timeline

Hi guys my office is Detroit,  my I 485 status changed to interview was scheduled this morning!!!I can't believe that happen in 3 days. How long does it take to get the letter? You guys who already had an interview what questions did they ask you? Thanks in advance for your help 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Hong Kong
Timeline
41 minutes ago, Joey.C said:

The I 485 status changed to interview was scheduled this morning!!!I can't believe that happen in 3 days. How long does it take to get the letter?

5-7days..

Timeline
On 11/12/2019 at 9:57 AM, Joey.C said:

OMG I finally got Case is ready for interview!!!imageproxy.php?img=&key=da9b9b78549feebe How long does it take to get interview letter after that

I got letter about 7 working days later.  Our interview is tomorrow In Detroit and can’t wait to be finished with all the paperwork and waiting over with - at least for 2 years!!!  I will post regarding our interview experience tomorrow.  

Timeline
22 minutes ago, Lori Johnson said:

I got letter about 7 working days later.  Our interview is tomorrow In Detroit and can’t wait to be finished with all the paperwork and waiting over with - at least for 2 years!!!  I will post regarding our interview experience tomorrow.  

Thank you! Good luck on your interview 

Timeline

AOS interview was this morning in Detroit at 10:30.   We arrived at 10:15, checked in and after about 5 minutes I had to go to a counter and provide my passport and appointment letter.   Clerk entered some info into computer, took my photo and checked my fingerprints to confirm it was me.  (Appeared that if you arrive too early they won’t check you in at reception- it is not a first come first serve situation but rather based on your appointment time.  They told the gentleman in front of us that he was too early and to sit in the outer waiting room and come back to reception in 15 minutes.). We went to a different waiting area and waited about 45 minutes to be called.  There were a lot of people there for interviews.  NOTE:  don’t take your phone in or turn it off and leave it in your pocket.  Several people had their phones on in the waiting room and were told to turn them off.  
Let me preface the interview experience by stating our case was very straightforward with no RFE, issues or red flags - about as easy a file to process that they could ever wish for!  Also, it appeared that our case officer may have been in training as there was another case officer in the room who was monitoring the interview and offered some instruction to the interviewing officer during the interview (most of the time she was reviewing someone else’s file while she appeared to listen with 1 ear.)  Both women were friendly and very pleasant to deal with.  My husband and I were in the room together the entire time and never separated for questioning.  She basically went through the I-485 page by page confirming all the details.  The longest part of the interview was when she asked all the questions with respect to ties to organizations, do you intend to ...... while in the US, have you ever illicited or engaged in prostitution , etc..   She asked how long we had known each other (didn’t ask how we met, how often we saw each other, how and when we were engaged, or anything else pertaining to our relationship).  Asked when and where we got married (didn’t ask anything about meeting each other’s families, how often we saw them ,etc.).   Basically asked very little personal questions about the relationship.   Didn’t ask for proof of the validity of the marriage, just asked if there was anything we wanted to give her to support our case so I handed her all the paperwork dealing with joint bank accounts, medical benefits, etc., and photos.   At the end she said she would be reviewing the file and quoted the worst case scenario timelines as far as finding out if we were approved.  When my husband said we were hoping I had the green card before Christmas so I could see my family in Canada, she said oh, that shouldn’t be a problem.   So our impression was that she did everything by the book because she was in training (she seemed more on edge than we were) and didn’t want to/or couldn’t provide any other information.    So I will be checking the case status often and will update my timeline once it changes.  All in all, interview was no big deal.   We were in and out in 1.75 hours.   

Timeline
29 minutes ago, Lori Johnson said:

AOS interview was this morning in Detroit at 10:30.   We arrived at 10:15, checked in and after about 5 minutes I had to go to a counter and provide my passport and appointment letter.   Clerk entered some info into computer, took my photo and checked my fingerprints to confirm it was me.  (Appeared that if you arrive too early they won’t check you in at reception- it is not a first come first serve situation but rather based on your appointment time.  They told the gentleman in front of us that he was too early and to sit in the outer waiting room and come back to reception in 15 minutes.). We went to a different waiting area and waited about 45 minutes to be called.  There were a lot of people there for interviews.  NOTE:  don’t take your phone in or turn it off and leave it in your pocket.  Several people had their phones on in the waiting room and were told to turn them off.  
Let me preface the interview experience by stating our case was very straightforward with no RFE, issues or red flags - about as easy a file to process that they could ever wish for!  Also, it appeared that our case officer may have been in training as there was another case officer in the room who was monitoring the interview and offered some instruction to the interviewing officer during the interview (most of the time she was reviewing someone else’s file while she appeared to listen with 1 ear.)  Both women were friendly and very pleasant to deal with.  My husband and I were in the room together the entire time and never separated for questioning.  She basically went through the I-485 page by page confirming all the details.  The longest part of the interview was when she asked all the questions with respect to ties to organizations, do you intend to ...... while in the US, have you ever illicited or engaged in prostitution , etc..   She asked how long we had known each other (didn’t ask how we met, how often we saw each other, how and when we were engaged, or anything else pertaining to our relationship).  Asked when and where we got married (didn’t ask anything about meeting each other’s families, how often we saw them ,etc.).   Basically asked very little personal questions about the relationship.   Didn’t ask for proof of the validity of the marriage, just asked if there was anything we wanted to give her to support our case so I handed her all the paperwork dealing with joint bank accounts, medical benefits, etc., and photos.   At the end she said she would be reviewing the file and quoted the worst case scenario timelines as far as finding out if we were approved.  When my husband said we were hoping I had the green card before Christmas so I could see my family in Canada, she said oh, that shouldn’t be a problem.   So our impression was that she did everything by the book because she was in training (she seemed more on edge than we were) and didn’t want to/or couldn’t provide any other information.    So I will be checking the case status often and will update my timeline once it changes.  All in all, interview was no big deal.   We were in and out in 1.75 hours.   

Thank you so much for the information.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.