1,373 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline
1 hour ago, Nika211 said:

Ok thanks my spouse hasn't had any income since he moved here in July. But I def appreciate the advice

It is not about since they moved to US. If you’re filing married filing jointly then you’re filing her as a resident for tax purposes, which means she needs to send a statement that she wants to be counted as one and also form 2555 for foreign income even if she wasn’t living here at the moment. I will be going to H&R Block today too and the moment they say you don’t have to put it will be the moment I get up and they get no pay from it.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Netherlands
Timeline
2 hours ago, Nika211 said:

Ok thanks my spouse hasn't had any income since he moved here in July. But I def appreciate the advice

If you file jointly you have to request that the IRS treats your spouse as a RA. At that moment you have to report ALL the income over 2018, even if (s)he made it in his/her home country. Apparently you can exclude it later on, but it's a little confusing so we'll use an accountant. Don't use an accountant that doesn't know the rules of immigration and taxes. Tbh I don't think h&r block, turbotax etc are very educated on this.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Lebanon
Timeline
1 hour ago, Naes said:

It is not about since they moved to US. If you’re filing married filing jointly then you’re filing her as a resident for tax purposes, which means she needs to send a statement that she wants to be counted as one and also form 2555 for foreign income even if she wasn’t living here at the moment. I will be going to H&R Block today too and the moment they say you don’t have to put it will be the moment I get up and they get no pay from it.

when you have time, could you plz tell us how it went? they are telling us all the same: don't report the worldwide income and its better to file separately. we live in a town where nobody knows how to deal with this situation. so we are trying to figure it out by ourselves. thank you

Timeline
38 minutes ago, akoko-01 said:

when you have time, could you plz tell us how it went? they are telling us all the same: don't report the worldwide income and its better to file separately. we live in a town where nobody knows how to deal with this situation. so we are trying to figure it out by ourselves. thank you

So far from what I researched if your foreign income is an amount that can be excluded (somewhere less than 100k not sure about the exact amount) then it is best to file married jointly cause of the deduction.

I’d actually would like to ask @geowrian what he thinks about this.  

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country:
Timeline

Exactly 160days still nothing ☹️

Applied for AOS/EAD/AP : August 7, 2018 (via USPS)

USCIS Chicago received the package: August 9, 2018

NOA1:

Timeline
Just now, dynesyzygy24 said:

sigh... yep... I finally started putting my resume together though... with the anticipation 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, geowrian said:

Sorry if I missed some details....following the thread for the tax question along with all the other updates is not a fun experience. ;)

If filing MFJ, you must be considered a resident alien (RA) for the entire tax year. This is noted in the instructions for filing statuses.

The spouse of a USC or LPR can elect to be treated as an RA for the entire tax year. A letter confirming this election is required. The letter makes filing via eFile impossible right now, but you can still do the taxes online, print them, attach the letter + W-2s (if any), and mail it in. It's a PITA, but it is what it is.

A consequence of being an RA for the entire tax year is that you must report all worldwide income just like a USC or LPR must do. This income can then be excluded via the FEIE (Form 2555/2555EZ) for up to roughly $100k.

If you became a resident (not just LPR) at any time in the year then you are a dual-status alien. You can either file based solely on when you became an RA onwards (no need to report worldwide income), or do the election to be an RA for the entire year still. The amount of FEIE eligible for exclusion would be proportional to the time before become a resident (i.e. if you entered on July 1st, you would be roughly able up to claim half the full exclusion). This is calculated on the 2555 based on the number of days abroad / 365.

Option 2 is to file MFS, and no worldwide income is necessary to be reported by the NRA (just US income, if any).

But keep in mind MFJ has double the standard deduction ($12.2k) than MFS. Unless the NRA's income is more than the FEIE (and/or FTC if applicable) + $12.2k, that's leaving money on the table. Filing MFJ can generally reduce your tax liability by thousands of dollars.

Thank you as always. This made me feel so much better as it seems that I understood it overall... And made me realize I'll be paying H&R for nothing... The only part that confused me was how to attach the letter. Do you know if there is a sample letter we can find or what kind of a letter it should be for the statement to be treated as RA for the entire tax year? And if we should send anything to prove the foreign income as there will be no W2s?

1 hour ago, C90 said:

If you file jointly you have to request that the IRS treats your spouse as a RA. At that moment you have to report ALL the income over 2018, even if (s)he made it in his/her home country. Apparently you can exclude it later on, but it's a little confusing so we'll use an accountant. Don't use an accountant that doesn't know the rules of immigration and taxes. Tbh I don't think h&r block, turbotax etc are very educated on this.

Ok. So what documentation is needed to report the foreign income. My spouse never had any bank accounts in the foreign country, he received cashed and paystubs. 

3 minutes ago, Naes said:

Thank you as always. This made me feel so much better as it seems that I understood it overall... And made me realize I'll be paying H&R for nothing... The only part that confused me was how to attach the letter. Do you know if there is a sample letter we can find or what kind of a letter it should be for the statement to be treated as RA for the entire tax year? And if we should send anything to prove the foreign income as there will be no W2s?

Be sure to hold on to records of the foreign income in case you are audited (just as you should do for record of any income...not just foreign! :P). But nothing needs to be sent as evidence of the foreign income with the 1040. W-2s must be sent for any US income, though.

Here's one I used for 2017 taxes, with personal information masked out.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1oFYM0MbbUxFPLTxOzn6qsk_eZMLhF42O9zRUs-KtVzU

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
Just now, geowrian said:

Be sure to hold on to records of the foreign income in case you are audited (just as you should do for record of any income...not just foreign! :P). But nothing needs to be sent as evidence of the foreign income with the 1040. W-2s must be sent for any US income, though.

Here's one I used for 2017 taxes, with personal information masked out.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1oFYM0MbbUxFPLTxOzn6qsk_eZMLhF42O9zRUs-KtVzU

Awesome to know! I have my tax transcripts from Japan so I’ll save them for whenever they ask me.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline
46 minutes ago, dynesyzygy24 said:

45 minutes ago, Naes said:

sigh... yep... I finally started putting my resume together though... with the anticipation 

Yea, whoever's got the 9/4 box needs to get a move on it! 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi everyone,

Anyone who has received their Ead card, how long after the I-797 did your card arrive please?

thank you in advance ☺️

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Lebanon
Timeline
6 hours ago, geowrian said:

Sorry if I missed some details....following the thread for the tax question along with all the other updates is not a fun experience. ;)

If filing MFJ, you must be considered a resident alien (RA) for the entire tax year. This is noted in the instructions for filing statuses.

The spouse of a USC or LPR can elect to be treated as an RA for the entire tax year. A letter confirming this election is required. The letter makes filing via eFile impossible right now, but you can still do the taxes online, print them, attach the letter + W-2s (if any), and mail it in. It's a PITA, but it is what it is.

A consequence of being an RA for the entire tax year is that you must report all worldwide income just like a USC or LPR must do. This income can then be excluded via the FEIE (Form 2555/2555EZ) for up to roughly $100k.

If you became a resident (not just LPR) at any time in the year then you are a dual-status alien. You can either file based solely on when you became an RA onwards (no need to report worldwide income), or do the election to be an RA for the entire year still. The amount of FEIE eligible for exclusion would be proportional to the time before become a resident (i.e. if you entered on July 1st, you would be roughly able up to claim half the full exclusion). This is calculated on the 2555 based on the number of days abroad / 365.

Option 2 is to file MFS, and no worldwide income is necessary to be reported by the NRA (just US income, if any).

But keep in mind MFJ has double the standard deduction ($12.2k) than MFS. Unless the NRA's income is more than the FEIE (and/or FTC if applicable) + $12.2k, that's leaving money on the table. Filing MFJ can generally reduce your tax liability by thousands of dollars.

thank you so much. plz let us know if we are missing something:

we have 2 options:

1- we file MFS and in this case the USC only files because the RA did not have income. so it is the regular taxes but instead of single, we put MFJ.

2- we file MFJ. we have to do it by mail. in the package, we include:

- letter to consider my spouse as RA

- tax form but including worldwide income.

- form 2555 to exclude the worldwide income.

- W2

do you have any idea about the foreign bank accounts? we searched for it and they say that you don't file it with IRS but with FBAR separately.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.