18 posts in this topic

A permanent resident with 2 DUIs in california. Both DUIs are misdemeanors. 1st one occured in 2013 and 2nd one happened in 2015. I am on probation for the 2nd one which ends in 2019. When can i apply for citizenship? Can I apply in 2019 after my probation expires since it will have been 4 years since conviction (The statutory period to show GMC is 3 years is you are married to a citizen) OR do i need to wait till 2022 which is 3 years after my probation ends? I am getting missed messages even from immigration attorneys on this one. I consulted with 2 immigration attorneys. 1st immigration attorney said you can apply as soon as your probation ends as long as it has been 3 years since conviction. The other one says its 3 years after your probation ends. I am confused because everyone says consult with an immigration attorney and I did just that. However, they both have different answers. 

Also, I want to know if 2 DUIs make me deportable or inadmissible. Both attorneys said they don't make me deportable/inadmissible but USCIS can decide i am inadmissible due to alcoholism aka habitual drunkard. What steps can i take to prove I am not a drunkard? 

Edited by Messedupagain

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

7 minutes ago, Messedupagain said:

What steps can i take to prove I am not a drunkard?

Wow!  You asked some very good questions.  Normally, I would say to consider something like "AA"......but that could be a double edged sword......you are in a tough position.....you might need 5 years of "good moral character" and a good attorney to get by this.......just my 2 cents.....

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

The N-400 cannot be approved while still on a probation, as you have been informed already.

The longer it's been since any conviction, the better. The GMC character requirement is not strictly limited to the past x years, just that there is more weight placed on the relevant statutory period.

https://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/HTML/PolicyManual-Volume12-PartF-Chapter2.html

"B. Conduct Outside of the Statutory Period

USCIS is not limited to reviewing the applicant's conduct only during the applicable GMC period. An applicant’s conduct prior to the GMC period may affect the applicant’s ability to establish GMC if the applicant’s present conduct does not reflect a reformation of character or the earlier conduct is relevant to the applicant’s present moral character. [6]

In general, an officer must consider the totality of the circumstances and weigh all factors, favorable and unfavorable, when considering reformation of character in conjunction with GMC within the relevant period. [7] The following factors may be relevant in assessing an applicant’s current moral character and reformation of character:"

A DUI in itself is not a cause for deportation or a denial of an N-400. However, the specific circumstances of the DUIs can be deemed to be a violation of GMC (i.e. if children were involved, if there were injuries to others, if any other crimes or citations were also involved, etc.).

You can present evidence that you have reformed to help your case for a GMC. If you attended AA or similar, that can help. If you've been through counseling, that can help.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

1 minute ago, geowrian said:

The N-400 cannot be approved while still on a probation, as you have been informed already.

The longer it's been since any conviction, the better. The GMC character requirement is not strictly limited to the past x years, just that there is more weight placed on the relevant statutory period.

https://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/HTML/PolicyManual-Volume12-PartF-Chapter2.html

"B. Conduct Outside of the Statutory Period

USCIS is not limited to reviewing the applicant's conduct only during the applicable GMC period. An applicant’s conduct prior to the GMC period may affect the applicant’s ability to establish GMC if the applicant’s present conduct does not reflect a reformation of character or the earlier conduct is relevant to the applicant’s present moral character. [6]

In general, an officer must consider the totality of the circumstances and weigh all factors, favorable and unfavorable, when considering reformation of character in conjunction with GMC within the relevant period. [7] The following factors may be relevant in assessing an applicant’s current moral character and reformation of character:"

A DUI in itself is not a cause for deportation or a denial of an N-400. However, the specific circumstances of the DUIs can be deemed to be a violation of GMC (i.e. if children were involved, if there were injuries to others, if any other crimes or citations were also involved, etc.).

You can present evidence that you have reformed to help your case for a GMC. If you attended AA or similar, that can help. If you've been through counseling, that can help.

Thanks for this information. I have attended individual therapy at a hospital for 9 months and they have written a letter for me stating how I have made progress and that I have been sober for months. The thing is, this letter can indicate that I have reformed but at the same time it can also mean that it confirms that I have a problem with alcohol (Which I don't, coz I have been sober for almost 2 years now).

But my im still looking for guidance on my original question still. I understand they can look beyond the statutory period, but,  what is the minimum? 3 years since conviction OR 3 years since end of probation. As I mentioned earlier, the two lawyers had two different answers and that is really confusing me now. 

17 minutes ago, Messedupagain said:

But my im still looking for guidance on my original question still. I understand they can look beyond the statutory period, but,  what is the minimum? 3 years since conviction OR 3 years since end of probation. As I mentioned earlier, the two lawyers had two different answers and that is really confusing me now. 

It's hard to say as it is a judgement call by the IO. There is no minimum or maximum period they can look at, but the longer it's been the better.

The statuary period that they look closest at is from the point of filing (i.e. 3 years from filing if filing under the 3 year rule). So if you file 3+ years after the conviction, it should have lesser impact, but nothing is guaranteed as to the decision they will make.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

19 hours ago, Messedupagain said:

What steps can i take to prove I am not a drunkard

Quit drinking and stop getting DUIs. You are not only risking harm to yourself, but to many others as well. If you can’t stop on your own, get some help. You need to show good moral character for citizenship. Best wishes to you. 

6 minutes ago, Diane and Chris said:

Quit drinking and stop getting DUIs. You are not only risking harm to yourself, but to many others as well. If you can’t stop on your own, get some help. You need to show good moral character for citizenship. Best wishes to you. 

I understand that but what steps an i take that can show documentary evidence that i am not a drunkard. I partied in my 20s and made some bad choices and ended up getting these. I have changed my ways and have been sober close to 2 years now but simply saying this wont be enough for USCIS. I need to start building strong documented evidence showing that I am not alcoholic/drunkard so thats why I am asking this questions. Of Course I understand that its risky for everyone including myself and I have changed my ways

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

With one DUI, I would normally suggest waiting at least a year after probation ends.

With two DUIs, I would suggest waiting a few years after probation ends.

Either way, it's going to come down to the IO you get, as there's a lot of wiggle room for them with your charges especially since A) you are a repeat offender, B) both offenses occurred within the past 5 years (ie. close succession), and C) you no longer fall under the "petty offense" exception due to having more than 1 misdemeanor in your history.

If you're not in a hurry to get citizenship, and you wish to heighten your chances of not being denied based on GMC, I would seriously suggest putting off naturalization for at least 3 (or more) years after the end of your probationary period.  And keep your nose clean during that time ;) 

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Agreed. I would personally wait a couple more years to be safer.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

AOS:

Spoiler

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

NVC

K-1

6 minutes ago, Going through said:

With one DUI, I would normally suggest waiting at least a year after probation ends.

With two DUIs, I would suggest waiting a few years after probation ends.

Either way, it's going to come down to the IO you get, as there's a lot of wiggle room for them with your charges especially since A) you are a repeat offender, B) both offenses occurred within the past 5 years (ie. close succession), and C) you no longer fall under the "petty offense" exception due to having more than 1 misdemeanor in your history.

If you're not in a hurry to get citizenship, and you wish to heighten your chances of not being denied based on GMC, I would seriously suggest putting off naturalization for at least 3 (or more) years after the end of your probationary period.  And keep your nose clean during that time ;) 

That makes sense. Thanks for the feedback. sounds like the best option is to wait as long as possible. I wanted to file as soon as I can coz my employer wants me to travel internationally but I keep dodging their requests with various excuses because i don't want to go out and not be able to come back in again. So i was hoping to file in 2019 as soon as my probation expired but, the feedback received from everyone is on point and it might be safer to keep dodging my employer's requests to travel internationally (they usually ask one a year for an international project assignment) for as long as i can. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
9 minutes ago, Messedupagain said:

That makes sense. Thanks for the feedback. sounds like the best option is to wait as long as possible. I wanted to file as soon as I can coz my employer wants me to travel internationally but I keep dodging their requests with various excuses because i don't want to go out and not be able to come back in again. So i was hoping to file in 2019 as soon as my probation expired but, the feedback received from everyone is on point and it might be safer to keep dodging my employer's requests to travel internationally (they usually ask one a year for an international project assignment) for as long as i can. 

With a valid GC you shouldn't have any serious issues travelling back and forth...no, there's no guarantee of entry unless you are a USC, of course, but it's not as terrifying as you may think with LPR status so long as your trips abroad are not too long as to bring your status into question.  Your DUI charges likely won't cause any issues during re-entry given your LPR status, if that's partly your concern.

Alternatively, you can simply remind your employer that as a LPR you are not yet comfortable with the idea of frequent travel---it's not unreasonable for you to want to "play it safe" travel-wise and keep your employer informed.

Edited by Going through

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

1 minute ago, puppalo said:

Regarding travel, you may have more of an issue with the foreign countries with your DUIs. Canada, Mexico, a number of middle eastern and east asian countries all have some level of DUI restrictions for visitors, Canada being particularly strict among these.

Yeah, you are right and I am aware of that but I am not too concerned about that. 

Being a "habitual drunkard" (their phrase) is actually one of the things that can render you inadmissible to the US (8 CFR 316.10(b)(2)(xii)), not just result in the denial of your N-400.

2 DUIs is probably something they would want to look a little closer at. And I would agree that, whilst you can certainly apply as soon as your probation has been terminated, the more daylight between the time you apply and the date of your convictions the better. I would think that 1-2 years from the date your probation ends, assuming you have no further legal issues, would be a good time-frame that would aid your application.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

12 minutes ago, Hypnos said:

Being a "habitual drunkard" (their phrase) is actually one of the things that can render you inadmissible to the US (8 CFR 316.10(b)(2)(xii)), not just result in the denial of your N-400.

2 DUIs is probably something they would want to look a little closer at. And I would agree that, whilst you can certainly apply as soon as your probation has been terminated, the more daylight between the time you apply and the date of your convictions the better. I would think that 1-2 years from the date your probation ends, assuming you have no further legal issues, would be a good time-frame that would aid your application.

So how is one determined to be a habitual drunkard. Is it up to the IO to decide a person is a habitual drunkard based on their criminal history? Or is there a medical review / professional opinion taken by medical professionals to decide this?

Edited by Messedupagain

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.