19 posts in this topic

Timeline

So, I just got my prima facie...

who knows, what benefits am I eligible for?

I still live with my abusive husband but he is planning to move to another apartment and tells me to find illegal job and move out. Still waiting for my EAD (received NOA-1 on May 15).

My friend is renting 1 bedroom and she'd let me sleep on the couch as long as I need but she can't also feed me etc.

Am I eligible for any cash assistance and food stamps until I have a job? What documents do I need? What I should tell at DSS office? Honestly I'm not very good at crying on public and being a damsel in distress. What if they decide I don't need help that much?

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline

Find a shelter for victims of domestic violence and you will be able to have a place to stay, and after being in the shelter for a wile you might get a transitional apartment that is provided for victims of domestic violence. 

Violence Intervention Program- They provide shelter and transitional-home for 2 years.
(800) 664-5880
24 hrs./7 days

Safe Horizon
(800) 621-4693
24 hrs./7 days

Sanctuary for Families
(718) 993-5990 or (212) 349-6009
Mon.-Fri., 9 am – 5 pm; some evening appointments may be available.
NYC Family Justice Center, 198 E. 161st St., 2nd Floor, Bronx

New York Asian Women's Center
(888) 888-7702 24 hrs./7 days

Filed: Other Timeline

What difference does it make if you are safe? A true victim of domestic abuse will do whatever is required to leave the situation.

You can always return home especially since you are relatively new to the US. You comment makes it sound like you are only in this arrangement for a green card.

You need to speak with an attorney and let him/her speak for you before you hurt your case.

On 8/12/2018 at 3:39 AM, CEE53147 said:

It will vary by location and sponsor.   You are far too worried about the conditions at a shelter than about your safety. This makes your claim of abuse suspicious.

My ex husband was abusing me emotionally and mentally...driving me crazy, turning very violent.I ran to a shelter before he could hit me. The shelter was an OASIS for me, despite the fact that I had to sleep with two other strange women in the same room. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 8/11/2018 at 8:53 PM, VJVJ said:

What is the shelter like? Does everyone sleep in the same room? Any rules?

I was in oregon when I was transferred to a shelter facility for abused woman. Besides sharing the bathroom with other woman staying in the shelter house I had my own bedroom, the rules was just to maintain the secrecy of the place. I cannot disclose the location to ANYBODY. If I need a mailing address they will give me a PO BOX address. They can only let you stay there for so many months (6months if I can recall) they will also help you find a job, they provide food for you. It was not a bad facility from my experience. But if you are abused , I would assume anywhere is better than living with your abuser. When I got transferred to the facility I didn't have any expectations, all I was thinking of was running away from my abuser. 

GreenTeaCookie,  You were a true abuse victim; you would do anything to get away from the person abusing you. That differentiates you from OP who is using a claim of abuse to gain immigration and welfare benefits.  Thank you for posting your experience.

Filed: Timeline
2 hours ago, CEE53147 said:

GreenTeaCookie,  You were a true abuse victim; you would do anything to get away from the person abusing you. That differentiates you from OP who is using a claim of abuse to gain immigration and welfare benefits.  Thank you for posting your experience.

Please do not make accusatory statements that someone is making false claims for benefits. (check the TOS for VJ) Also someone being afraid or apprehensive  of going to a shelter does not automatically mean they are not being abused. 

On 8/2/2018 at 8:03 PM, betelgeuse said:

So, I just got my prima facie...

who knows, what benefits am I eligible for?

I still live with my abusive husband but he is planning to move to another apartment and tells me to find illegal job and move out. Still waiting for my EAD (received NOA-1 on May 15).

My friend is renting 1 bedroom and she'd let me sleep on the couch as long as I need but she can't also feed me etc.

Am I eligible for any cash assistance and food stamps until I have a job? What documents do I need? What I should tell at DSS office? Honestly I'm not very good at crying on public and being a damsel in distress. What if they decide I don't need help that much?

OP came looking for how much she can get from the taxpayers.  She also was more concerned about the amenities at a shelter than her safety. She is also from a country with more than a little marriage for a green card fraud through marriage brokers. Her motives are suspect.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.