1,939 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline

Got an RFE 2 weeks ago, Responded to it last Thursday. Documents were received yesterday. Started Expedition process for EAD due to a job offer today. Heres hoping things go quickly from here on out. 

Has anyone else successfully expedited their EAD yet?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
1 hour ago, Perfect two 💑 said:

Hi,

Just curious, for those who will having green card interview. What evidence you will bring with you? We doesn't have joint account. Is it compulsory to have joint account? What we have now is :

1) Health, dental and optical insurance

2) Life insurance

3) My name as beneficiary for his 401k

4) Mobile Phone plan (He add me to his mobile phone account)

Is it enough? 

It's good to get a joint account. It's one of the major requirements . It takes nothing to get one.Goodluck as you prepare for your interview. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
2 hours ago, Perfect two 💑 said:

Hi,

Just curious, for those who will having green card interview. What evidence you will bring with you? We doesn't have joint account. Is it compulsory to have joint account? What we have now is :

1) Health, dental and optical insurance

2) Life insurance

3) My name as beneficiary for his 401k

4) Mobile Phone plan (He add me to his mobile phone account)

Is it enough? 

1 hour ago, Favvy said:

It's good to get a joint account. It's one of the major requirements . It takes nothing to get one.Goodluck as you prepare for your interview. 

Actually, there is no such thing as a "Major" requirement. Only thing really "Required" for the interview will be on the document they send you, -i.e. come with a photo identification and originals of things you previously sent you such as birth certificated, etc.  No place is it written that a joint account is needed. (because also- I have seen some people with a GC interview a month after application and they don't have an SSN so it wasn't possible to get banking where they are and they got approved just fine)

Always use common sense. The CO is looking to see if your marriage is real.

Co-mingling of finances is the easiest way to prove that marriage is real because in general, money is a big deal here. And you wouldn't trust a stranger with your life savings (401K) or income (bank account)
Seeing as y'all are beneficiaries on Life insurance and 401K, that, by definition is a co-mingling of finances. Whether that is enough is hard to say.
If you can get a joint account, get one. It can help the case.

Some other suggestions:

1) Both names on Leases
2) Car registrations

3) Sworn affidavits

4) utility bills with both names on them?

@Perfect two 💑- your question is hard and there really isn't a "good" answer. What is enough depends on who looks at it. 
Good luck!

Edited by emekus94

Timeline
2 hours ago, ashleykay said:

Got an RFE 2 weeks ago, Responded to it last Thursday. Documents were received yesterday. Started Expedition process for EAD due to a job offer today. Heres hoping things go quickly from here on out. 

This is July-

I don't think anyone here has applied for that

I suggest looking at other previous months to know what's up
I think April 2018 had a significant amount of people expedite.

Do keep in mind that an expedite could be from a few days to months. It seems to be very backlogged right now as well.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: China
Timeline
2 hours ago, ashleykay said:

Hi, my expedite request was approved on Aug. 23. Called USCIS on Aug. 6, received the RFE on Aug. 13 and faxed the evidence on Aug. 14. Separately I also contacted the local congresswoman, which I think might help as well. I didn't submit any financial docs, W2 or letter from my employer. I just said in the cover letter that it is a rare job opportunity and the possibility of losing the job would cause severe financial loss to me since I'll have to spend a few more months looking for another job without any income. Hope this helps!

Timeline
5 hours ago, qliu said:

Hi, my expedite request was approved on Aug. 23. Called USCIS on Aug. 6, received the RFE on Aug. 13 and faxed the evidence on Aug. 14. Separately I also contacted the local congresswoman, which I think might help as well. I didn't submit any financial docs, W2 or letter from my employer. I just said in the cover letter that it is a rare job opportunity and the possibility of losing the job would cause severe financial loss to me since I'll have to spend a few more months looking for another job without any income. Hope this helps!

What did you mention to your congresswoman in order for them to help you? 

Your response has been super helpful, I hope I am as fortunate as you!! 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: China
Timeline
1 minute ago, ashleykay said:

What did you mention to your congresswoman in order for them to help you? 

Your response has been super helpful, I hope I am as fortunate as you!! 

I basically just told them that I had filed an expedite request to USCIS and faxed them all the supporting docs I already sent to USCIS. They were very responsive and confirmed receipt the minute I faxed the privacy consent form.

Timeline
On 8/29/2018 at 12:29 AM, qliu said:

I basically just told them that I had filed an expedite request to USCIS and faxed them all the supporting docs I already sent to USCIS. They were very responsive and confirmed receipt the minute I faxed the privacy consent form.

Do you think I’d be able to do this without having any response from USCIS yet? 

I have the confirmation # from my expedite request but I don’t have any notice of needing further evidence yet but want to get on top of it. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
On 8/24/2018 at 1:02 PM, John and Janay said:

Might be a state thing. John’s ID came in the mail yesterday and it’s good for a year. 

Hoping to take the drivers test next month too. He didn’t have a license in Brazil either so we’ve been practicing lol. He’s a natural to my surprise 😆

any word on your biometrics? 

One year, that's great!

We did biometrics today, took 26 minutes...hahaha. fast and painless (no waiting).  Now will wait for the notice for the interview, I guess?

Then we went straight to DMV for Ana to take the Driving Permit Test on computer...she finally said she was ready.

But, she failed after 12 questions. It was hard she said - very different from the online testing quizes...said they showed photos of intersections and asked questions and some other obscure questions.

Anyway - she has some experience now on what to expect and I swear they make the first attempt test harder than the follow-ups.

I told her no problem, we will go back tomorrow and try again.  We will go back every day until the 8th of September or until she passes - I figure she can make 6 more attempts...hahaha

stay tuned.....

good luck to, John!

rs

5/30/2017: I-129F sent to Dallas Lockbox 

6/06/2017:  NOA1 Date

01/02/2018: NOA2  Date
01/24/2018: NVC Received I-129F 
02/02/2018: Case Number Assigned

02/12/2018: NVC Email - IN TRANSIT

No NVC Letter Received

02/17/2018:  Scheduled Interview (while still IN TRANSIT)

02/20/2018:  Embassy "READY" status

03/02/2018:  Medical Scheduled

03/06/2018: INTERVIEW Scheduled

03/06/2018: Interview - APPROVED!
03/28/2018: Visa in Hand!!!!
06/11/2018: POE USA - ATLANTA

06/18/ 2018:  MARRIED!   CHARLOTTE, NC

07/27/2018: AOS; i485, i765 & i131 Mailed

07/30/2018: NOA1 Receive Date (i485,i313, i765)

08/10/2018: NOA1 Hardcopies received.

08/16/2018: Biometrics Letter Received

08/30/2018: Biometrics Appointment Scheduled

10/22/2018: AOS Interview Scheduled- Electronic Notice

Timeline
On 8/27/2018 at 12:02 AM, Christy&J said:

Its kinda weird I had Biometric in Jacksonville but my interview will be in Charleston which is way too far away from where I live. But we are going ! Lol

You will enjoy Charleston.

Be sure to eat at 82 Queen St.

No NVC Letter Received

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 hours ago, Ana Maria said:

One year, that's great!

We did biometrics today, took 26 minutes...hahaha. fast and painless (no waiting).  Now will wait for the notice for the interview, I guess?

Then we went straight to DMV for Ana to take the Driving Permit Test on computer...she finally said she was ready.

But, she failed after 12 questions. It was hard she said - very different from the online testing quizes...said they showed photos of intersections and asked questions and some other obscure questions.

Anyway - she has some experience now on what to expect and I swear they make the first attempt test harder than the follow-ups.

I told her no problem, we will go back tomorrow and try again.  We will go back every day until the 8th of September or until she passes - I figure she can make 6 more attempts...hahaha

stay tuned.....

good luck to, John!

rs

May I ask what proof of legal status you showed DMV to be able to apply for driver's license? I heard the NOA for AOS can be used and I just want to confirm.

Timeline
8 minutes ago, jafll said:

May I ask what proof of legal status you showed DMV to be able to apply for driver's license? I heard the NOA for AOS can be used and I just want to confirm.

Primary for legal status is I-94, such that in NC, at least, her NC I.D. card formally expires when her I-94 expires and we will have to wait for temp. green card for extending that expiration and any other formal NC documentation.  This seems to vary by State.  Now, we are pushing hard to get her NC driving permit before the I-94 expires so she can begin driving.

Other ID required for NC...foreign passport (identity 1), birth certificate (identity 2), social security card (which we applied for as soon as she entered US), marriage certificate (for her name change), joint bank account statement for proof of address.

We applied for and received her NC I.D. card prior to filing for AOS.

AOS NOA1.... I dont think would suffice for NC because it does not have any "dates" authorizing residency.  It's just a receipt notice?

Between entering USA on K-1 and temporary green card....the only document authorizing residency is the I-94.  Once I-94 expires, you are technically "out of status" until temp. green card is issued

authorizing a new residency period. (as I understand).

No NVC Letter Received

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Ana Maria said:

Primary for legal status is I-94, such that in NC, at least, her NC I.D. card formally expires when her I-94 expires and we will have to wait for temp. green card for extending that expiration and any other formal NC documentation.  This seems to vary by State.  Now, we are pushing hard to get her NC driving permit before the I-94 expires so she can begin driving.

Other ID required for NC...foreign passport (identity 1), birth certificate (identity 2), social security card (which we applied for as soon as she entered US), marriage certificate (for her name change), joint bank account statement for proof of address.

We applied for and received her NC I.D. card prior to filing for AOS.

AOS NOA1.... I dont think would suffice for NC because it does not have any "dates" authorizing residency.  It's just a receipt notice?

Between entering USA on K-1 and temporary green card....the only document authorizing residency is the I-94.  Once I-94 expires, you are technically "out of status" until temp. green card is issued

authorizing a new residency period. (as I understand).

This is incorrect.

Once you file for AOS, your NOA1 replaces your I-94. THAT is proof of legal status.
You have a pending application with USCIS so you are in status legally. 

Imagine the horror for those that wait almost 2 years for a GC to be here "out of status" the entire time because I-94 is valid for only 90 days. 

You are only "out of status" for the time between when your I-94 expires and when you file AOS and technically receive your NOA1

Edited by emekus94

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello everyone,

I would just like to share how I got my Driver's license despite an expired I-94. Each state may have different policies but there is no harm in trying.

I initially applied for a NM Driver's license 35 days before my I-94 expires. I passed and I got a license until my I-94 expired. Hence, I went last Aug 1 to renew my license. However, DMV did not grant renewal at that time. Despite bringing my NOA1 - AOS, marriage contract, billing address and SS ID. They said they need verification from DHS. 3 weeks after, I got a letter from DMV that DHS verified my status and that I can get my license. Last Aug 28, I went there and paid for my license - federal ID compliant with expiration on Aug 27, 2019. I just tried and fortunately got my license. Now I can drive.

Sharing as I know how hard not being able to drive in most places here in US.

God bless and good luck everyone on your AOS journey.

Applied: July 16th - (AOS, EAD & AP) 

E Notice: July 20th 

NOA1 Letter: July 23th 

NOA1 Biometrics Appointment Letter: Aug 3

Early Walk-In Biometrics Appointment: Aug 06th ( Scheduled on Aug 17th)

Expedited EAD - Aug 29, 2018

Timeline
Just now, emekus94 said:

This is incorrect.

Once you file for AOS, your NOA1 replaces your I-94. THAT is proof of legal status.
You have a pending application with USCIS so you are in status legally. 

Imagine the horror for those that wait almost 2 years for a GC to be here "out of status" the entire time because I-94 is valid for only 90 days. 

You are only "out of status" for the time between when your I-94 expires and when you file AOS and technically receive your NOA1

Yes, I understand this.

However, I cant use the NOA 1 to extend the NC ID/License.. it has no residency authority. Nor, do I believe it guarantees anything.

I think they call that ...."being in limbo"....hahaha

The question was regarding NC DMV requirements.

Dude at DMV says he needs another document from USCIS with an expiration date - extending legal residency.

I assume that is a temp. green card extending residency for another period of time.

No NVC Letter Received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.