1,652 posts in this topic

I'd count "Neck" as being a success for Starbucks.  They'll write all sorts on my wife's cups and she's American!

The short  "i" sounds mostly like a "u" to me when a Kiwi says it, and their short "e"s sound like an "i" so if you aim to say "Neck" it should sound like "Nick" to American ears!  Not that I'm in a position to criticize. People here can't always understand my British accent and even ask if I'm Australian.  I did spend some years in New Zealand though, but that was 20 years ago and while I did develop a bit of a twang then, I i have lost it since.  Perhaps it doesn't help that I still watch Shorty every day!

Oh yeah.. Day 147 and still no update on this EAD 🤬

Edited by IncogNitro

16 hours ago, Kat&Joel said:

Off topic sorry but I have to find this out.  @kiwihurricane15 and @MarksMate do you find that Americans have trouble understanding your New Zealand accent.  I'm about about to pull my hair out with how many people in Utah are having trouble understanding my husband.  I never ever thought the New Zealand accent was hard to understand.  I wanted to see if either of you had any issues as well. 

I haven't at all, some words maybe they will question like serviette, when you guys say napkin or dummy when you guys say pacifier, but not my accent no. Most people think I am Australian or British. We were at a hotel and I was talking to my husband (the lifts were broken so we were a bunch of people waiting) then this guy suggested we take the stairs and I replied loudly the gate to the stairs is locked and some other guy yelled oh no worries you keep talking with your British accent lol. I find the deep south country American accents like mind blowing lol, we were in NC for a friends wedding 3 weeks ago, and whoa!!! haha that accent is something alright, not always easiest to understand. Maybe he should talk a bit slower? Kiwis can talk fast. I have to tell my dad to slow down because when they came to visit me people kept asking me what he was saying lol 

K1                                                                                                       AOS

20 March 2017: We got engaged!!                                             13 June 2018 - Sent AOS/EAD/AP

06 June 2017 - Sent I-129F                                                         15 June 2018 - USCIS signature received.

12 June 2017 - Case was received.                                           20 June 2018 - NOA1 for AOS/EAD/AP

14 June 2017 - NOA1                                                                   22 June 2018 - Cash checked

14 December 2017- NOA2                                                          23 June 2018 - Hardcopy i797 for AOS/EAD/AP

26 January 2018 - NVC Scan Date                                            17 July 2018 - Biometrics appt

29 January 2018 - NVC Number                                                24 July 2018 - Case ready to be scheduled for interview

07 February 2018  -Medical                                                        27 Sept 2018 - Call to request EAD expedite based on pending job offer/financial hardship

20 February 2018 -Interview: APPROVED!                               6 Oct 2018 - Letter in mail stating "Your case is currently under review"

21 February 2018- Visa Issued                                                  16 Nov 2018 - EAD Approved                                                                             

23 February 2018-Visa in hand                                                  24 Nov 2018 - EAD/AP received in mail

20 March 2018 -POE: Los Angeles                                            26 Nov 2018 - SSN mail received 

20 May 2018-Marriage                                                                06 Nov 2018 - Interview Scheduled

16 March 2019 - Interview 

Wow my husband is a Nick and I just said Nick and neck out loud and it sounds the same!!! hahahahahahahaha I cant stop laughing, I feel like a 5 year old trying to entertain myself. Forgive me, it's almost 150 days and I am going on month 8 of being here, I done lost my mind already.  

10 hours ago, Maria & Lester said:

Should be okay, are you try in different time?

What do you mean different time? Nothing shows up for me ever

K1                                                                                                       AOS

20 March 2017: We got engaged!!                                             13 June 2018 - Sent AOS/EAD/AP

06 June 2017 - Sent I-129F                                                         15 June 2018 - USCIS signature received.

12 June 2017 - Case was received.                                           20 June 2018 - NOA1 for AOS/EAD/AP

14 June 2017 - NOA1                                                                   22 June 2018 - Cash checked

14 December 2017- NOA2                                                          23 June 2018 - Hardcopy i797 for AOS/EAD/AP

26 January 2018 - NVC Scan Date                                            17 July 2018 - Biometrics appt

29 January 2018 - NVC Number                                                24 July 2018 - Case ready to be scheduled for interview

07 February 2018  -Medical                                                        27 Sept 2018 - Call to request EAD expedite based on pending job offer/financial hardship

20 February 2018 -Interview: APPROVED!                               6 Oct 2018 - Letter in mail stating "Your case is currently under review"

21 February 2018- Visa Issued                                                  16 Nov 2018 - EAD Approved                                                                             

23 February 2018-Visa in hand                                                  24 Nov 2018 - EAD/AP received in mail

20 March 2018 -POE: Los Angeles                                            26 Nov 2018 - SSN mail received 

20 May 2018-Marriage                                                                06 Nov 2018 - Interview Scheduled

16 March 2019 - Interview 

19 hours ago, IncogNitro said:

I'd count "Neck" as being a success for Starbucks.  They'll write all sorts on my wife's cups and she's American!

The short  "i" sounds mostly like a "u" to me when a Kiwi says it, and their short "e"s sound like an "i" so if you aim to say "Neck" it should sound like "Nick" to American ears!  Not that I'm in a position to criticize. People here can't always understand my British accent and even ask if I'm Australian.  I did spend some years in New Zealand though, but that was 20 years ago and while I did develop a bit of a twang then, I i have lost it since.  Perhaps it doesn't help that I still watch Shorty every day!

Oh yeah.. Day 147 and still no update on this EAD 🤬

Day 146 here 🙋🏽‍♀️ Even though my i485 changed to  “ready to be scheduled for interview” but no EAS in sight 😒 either and the wait time for BK is over 2 years 😡

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Meanwhile I've received my EAD/AP combo card, but hubby and I have decided to postpone my eager job hunt till a bit later since we're going on a trip in early December and then have plans for the holidays as well. Postponing the search meaning - I still look, but am not ready to start yet....

I had already enthusiastically started applying, but I don't even have my drivers license yet, or a car, so going to interviews or an actual job would have actually been a bit difficult... haha :lol:  Trying to at least get my drivers license within the next couple weeks!

And here I am spending time on VJ cause my hubby left today for a 2 night out of town work trip. The first time we're apart overnight since getting married in April!

We Skyped briefly earlier this evening and we had trouble getting the call going. Flashbacks to our long distance time, haha! 

To those who haven't received their EAD/AP, hang in there! ❤️ 

K1                                                                                            AoS                                                                                                                                 N-400

I-129F Received: 05-June-2017                                        AoS, EAD & AP Filed: 15-June-2018                                                                         N-400 Filed: 29-Sept-2020

NOA2: 09-January-2018                                                      NOA1 on all three: 27-June-2018                                                                             NOA1: 28-Sept-2020

NVC Received/Case #: 24-January-2018                         Biometrics: 20-July-2018                                                                                           Interview Date: 16-Feb-2021

Consulate Received: 02-February-2018                           Case Ready For Interview: 24-July-2018                                                                 Oath Ceremony: 18-Feb-2021

Interview: 13-March-2018                                                   EAD & AP Approvals: 18-October-2018                                                                   Expedited under section 319(b) - overseas military orders

VOH: 17-March-2018                                                           Interview Scheduled: 8-April-2019 / Rescheduled on 17-April-2019                  Biometrics re-used from AOS application. Skipped ROC

POE (LAX): 11-April-2018                                                    Interview Date: 28-April-2019 - APPROVED!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Today marks 100 days since my case status changed to "Case is Ready to Be Scheduled for An Interview", here's to hoping it moves a bit quicker through the winter. Received my work authorisation last month, but misjudged how hard job searching would be in LA. Good look my fellow June purgatory members, hope you're all doing well. 

My EAD status was updated today to "New Card is Being Produced"!   Only on the DHS website, not myUSCIS.  My AP hasn't updated on either.  I've looked at other case numbers close to mine and they all say "Case was Approved".. Mine never said that though, is it normal for it to jump to New Card Being Produced?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline
On 11/6/2018 at 9:54 PM, kiwihurricane15 said:

Haha...its pretty funny. Most of the time I'm Ok and I thought it would be harder in Texas. If anything I struggle to understand them more 🤣

Most people are curious and ask me where I'm from, more interested than anything else. I did once get "Neck" on my starbucks cup (my name is Nick) and that made me laugh but other than that not too much. I honestly think it depends on how many immigrants they are used to hearing, I also live in Houston so its a big city and lots of people from around the world. I would have thought SLC he would be Ok??

It sounds like it might have just been bad luck.  I think there are some people in Utah that are quite rude and ignorant but I'm sure we can avoid those people.  It'll just take some adapting I think.  

I-129F Sent: July 5th 2017  

I-129F NOA2: January 19th 2018

Interview date: March 8th 2018 - Result is APPROVED!!! 

POE USA: April 23rd 2018

Marriage: May 18th 2018

AOS NOA1: May 30th 2018

AOS Biometrics: June 21st 2018

EAD Received Date: June 07 2018

EAD NOA1: June 13th 2018

EAD Biometrics: July 6th 2018

Case is Ready to Be Scheduled for An Interview as of October 11th 2018

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline
On 11/7/2018 at 12:53 PM, MarksMate said:

I haven't at all, some words maybe they will question like serviette, when you guys say napkin or dummy when you guys say pacifier, but not my accent no. Most people think I am Australian or British. We were at a hotel and I was talking to my husband (the lifts were broken so we were a bunch of people waiting) then this guy suggested we take the stairs and I replied loudly the gate to the stairs is locked and some other guy yelled oh no worries you keep talking with your British accent lol. I find the deep south country American accents like mind blowing lol, we were in NC for a friends wedding 3 weeks ago, and whoa!!! haha that accent is something alright, not always easiest to understand. Maybe he should talk a bit slower? Kiwis can talk fast. I have to tell my dad to slow down because when they came to visit me people kept asking me what he was saying lol 

Thank you for that advice.  I think maybe slowing down is a good idea.  Some people struggle and some people pick it up right away.  It's the people that get angry about not being to understand that gets me.  It's really nice to get the perspective of other kiwis.  Thank GOODNESS for this website.  Saved my sanity yet again.  I hope that they send you your EAD soon.  It's so frustrating that they've mucked you around like this.

I-129F Sent: July 5th 2017  

I-129F NOA2: January 19th 2018

Interview date: March 8th 2018 - Result is APPROVED!!! 

POE USA: April 23rd 2018

Marriage: May 18th 2018

AOS NOA1: May 30th 2018

AOS Biometrics: June 21st 2018

EAD Received Date: June 07 2018

EAD NOA1: June 13th 2018

EAD Biometrics: July 6th 2018

Case is Ready to Be Scheduled for An Interview as of October 11th 2018

On 11/7/2018 at 12:57 PM, MarksMate said:

Wow my husband is a Nick and I just said Nick and neck out loud and it sounds the same!!! hahahahahahahaha I cant stop laughing, I feel like a 5 year old trying to entertain myself. Forgive me, it's almost 150 days and I am going on month 8 of being here, I done lost my mind already.  

What do you mean different time? Nothing shows up for me ever

I mean try in another day 

Timeline

Hey everyone quick question.

So I submitted my adjustment of status a couple months ago and today we got a notice for request for evidence. We forgot to send in the tax returns (we just thought we needed the W2s). But they also said that my husband's joint sponsor doesn't make 125% of the poverty guideline however we know she does because on the W2 it says she makes more than twice the amount required. So I'm wondering if they said that because we didn't submit the tax return or if there could be another reason. And now I'm wondering if we need to submit another person as a joint sponsor because it says later down "Submit evidence from a different qualifying joint sponsor".

Any help or advice is appreciated.

On 11/9/2018 at 10:08 PM, Justmel said:

Hey everyone quick question.

So I submitted my adjustment of status a couple months ago and today we got a notice for request for evidence. We forgot to send in the tax returns (we just thought we needed the W2s). But they also said that my husband's joint sponsor doesn't make 125% of the poverty guideline however we know she does because on the W2 it says she makes more than twice the amount required. So I'm wondering if they said that because we didn't submit the tax return or if there could be another reason. And now I'm wondering if we need to submit another person as a joint sponsor because it says later down "Submit evidence from a different qualifying joint sponsor".

Any help or advice is appreciated.

If you’re using a joint sponsor, you need to submit that person’s w2s along with her tax returns, remember that even though you’re using a joint sponsor, your husband has to fill out a i864 too and mark on the form youre using a joint sponsor. About your joint sponsor, that person has to make over $20,575/year if that person is single plus you, minimum; if they’re married, then that’s two plus you, etc. And the annual minimum goes up based on that guideline. I know it’s complicated but after 3 million times of reading over and over, I finally got it and hope it makes sense for you ♥️ Good luck 🍀 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.