Citizen24

I just graduated and I'm moving to USA, how do I find a job

41 posts in this topic

I think you are getting ahead of yourself.

You should focus on your Masters and getting admitted to an US University. You'll probably have to take the GMAT or the GRE. You'll also have to show proof of funds to pay for tuition and cost of living. If you get into a very good Master degree, like University of Chicago, something of the sort, you won't have problems finding a job. I would suggest that, if you like International Finance instead of just Finance, that would open opportunities for jobs in other countries. I have friends who did similar MAs and some stayed in the US, some went to UK and Europe, others to Asia. None of them went back to their country of origin, though. 

Getting a job in the US before the MA is not possible. It does not work like that. Try to find a job in a multinational company in India to beef up your CV.

Edited by Coco8

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline
11 minutes ago, TNJ17 said:

You can’t just pack up and decide to move here if you’re not a citizen or an LPR. You’d have to find on your own a company that would give you a job and sponsor you with a work visa. You gotta apply and get all the stuff and your visa before coming here. It’s not a simple “I wanna move and I have a degree” situation. Unfortunately your degree and education is something very common in the US and there are a lot of people with the same background and education as you who are citizens or LPR. So you’re gonna have to fight all that because you’re gonna have to prove to the company that would be sponsoring you that you are better than all of the people here already. So good luck with that. 

Yes I understand that. Fortunately, I have a green card.

Timeline
19 minutes ago, Coco8 said:

I think you are getting ahead of yourself.

You should focus on your Masters and getting admitted to an US University. You'll probably have to take the GMAT or the GRE. You'll also have to show proof of funds to pay for tuition and cost of living. If you get into a very good Master degree, like University of Chicago, something of the sort, you won't have problems finding a job. I would suggest that, if you like International Finance instead of just Finance, that would open opportunities for jobs in other countries. I have friends who did similar MAs and some stayed in the US, some went to UK and Europe, others to Asia. None of them went back to their country of origin, though. 

Getting a job in the US before the MA is not possible. It does not work like that. Try to find a job in a multinational company in India to beef up your CV.

I took my GMAT and I got a 780. My average GPA is 3.4. I'm hoping to get into Rutgers or some university like that.

Thank you for suggesting International Finance, it sounds very good to me and I would definitely love to look into that.

I do not have time to take up a job in India because I'll be flying out in 3 months and I have to prepare for my MCom finals.

Thank you very much, you have been a great help :) 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
47 minutes ago, TNJ17 said:

You can’t just pack up and decide to move here if you’re not a citizen or an LPR. You’d have to find on your own a company that would give you a job and sponsor you with a work visa. You gotta apply and get all the stuff and your visa before coming here. It’s not a simple “I wanna move and I have a degree” situation. Unfortunately your degree and education is something very common in the US and there are a lot of people with the same background and education as you who are citizens or LPR. So you’re gonna have to fight all that because you’re gonna have to prove to the company that would be sponsoring you that you are better than all of the people here already. So good luck with that. 

Did you read the other replies...he has his green card...lol

Timeline
20 minutes ago, uv1996 said:

I took my GMAT and I got a 780. My average GPA is 3.4. I'm hoping to get into Rutgers or some university like that.

Thank you for suggesting International Finance, it sounds very good to me and I would definitely love to look into that.

I do not have time to take up a job in India because I'll be flying out in 3 months and I have to prepare for my MCom finals.

So, are you from a wealthy family if you don't mind me asking? How are you going to afford Rutgers and all this flying around with no job?

Congratulations on all your schooling, I'm sure if you show initiative at a financial firm you will move up fast. 

1 minute ago, uv1996 said:

Yes SHE does :) 

Ooops, sorry

Timeline
1 minute ago, javadown2 said:

So, are you from a wealthy family if you don't mind me asking? How are you going to afford Rutgers and all this flying around with no job?

Congratulations on all your schooling, I'm sure if you show initiative at a financial firm you will move up fast. 

Ooops, sorry

Fortunately, we have arrangements for the college tuition :) 

I have been to USA four times, but as a tourist. I got my green card in April 2018 and I will be flying to USA as an immigrant for the first time in August. Then I'm staying put, so there isn't much flying after :) 

I dont know how to quote twice in a msg but thanks you for this- 'Congratulations on all your schooling, I'm sure if you show initiative at a financial firm you will move up fast. ' :) 

'Ooops, sorry'- Dont worry about it, its fine :) 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, uv1996 said:

Fortunately, we have arrangements for the college tuition :) 

I have been to USA four times, but as a tourist. I got my green card in April 2018 and I will be flying to USA as an immigrant for the first time in August. Then I'm staying put, so there isn't much flying after :) 

I dont know how to quote twice in a msg but thanks you for this- 'Congratulations on all your schooling, I'm sure if you show initiative at a financial firm you will move up fast. ' :) 

'Ooops, sorry'- Dont worry about it, its fine :) 

No problem...and good for you on more schooling and having arrangements, your making good use of it! (I'm working on my FIRST masters right now and I'm 48, lol), so I know how expensive it can be. 

Honestly there are lots of opportunities in America for smart people that excel, you will do fine. Good luck in your adventures to the US! 

Timeline
5 minutes ago, javadown2 said:

No problem...and good for you on more schooling and having arrangements, your making good use of it! (I'm working on my FIRST masters right now and I'm 48, lol), so I know how expensive it can be. 

Honestly there are lots of opportunities in America for smart people that excel, you will do fine. Good luck in your adventures to the US! 

Thank you for your wishes :) It was great talking to you and wish you the best for all your endeavors :)) 

1 hour ago, uv1996 said:

If you have a green card then start applying for a lot of jobs in the area that you are going to live. You should wait until you settle in and get a social security number. 

linkedin is a good source. You have to set it up for the geographical area you are going to be living in. 

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Coco8 said:

If you have a green card then start applying for a lot of jobs in the area that you are going to live. You should wait until you settle in and get a social security number. 

linkedin is a good source. You have to set it up for the geographical area you are going to be living in. 

So from what I've read, our SSNs should be coming in a week or two. 

So maybe I can start looking up internships on LinkedIn, Monster and Indeed after that.

I'll be staying at Secaucus, New Jersey.

Thank you for your help :) 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline
16 hours ago, uv1996 said:

Hi everyone,

I am 21 years old, I graduated college in 2017 and acquired my Bachelor in Commerce in India. I went for Masters in Commerce Part 1, which is a degree in itself. This marked the completion of 16 years of education for me.

I have cleared 2 levels of Chartered Accountancy in India (equivalent of CPA in India) and worked as an article in a CA Firm for about 10 months. Then I got preoccupied with the green card processing, so I took up a simple Content Writing internship as a work from home thing to earn some extra bucks.

I want to pursue Masters in Finance in USA along with CFA and I am planning on starting college in Fall or Winter 2019.

I want to work somewhere in USA, something with a finance background, before I start applying for college.

Do you think I can get a job or an internship that will not only give me with some practical understanding of the subject and  help me with college applications, but also earn me some decent amount of money? I'm not expecting a big pay, just something to get me through the month is okay too; given that I'm a fresher.

Any help is greatly appreciated :) 

Well you're going to be near the financial center of the US and the job market is pretty good right now, so you've got that going for you. I have two pieces of advice. 1: apply, apply, apply. Don't worry if you don't think you qualify, just send in an application anyway. Doesn't hurt to try. 2: make sure your resume is in a format common here in the US. Also have someone familiar with the US work world review your resume. Using the right words and/or terms is pretty essential in getting past the initial HR screening. 

Do you have any work experience? Doesn't sound like it. If you DO have work experience, that will obviously help. My wife has "useless degree" (her words, not mine) but since getting her work permit, she hasn't been unemployed for more than a month (and that was the first month she had her permit). I think what helped her, besides applying to jobs like crazy, was having some useful job experience prior to moving to the US. 

Good luck! 

Removing Conditions Timeline

Aug. 10, '17: Mailed in I-751

Aug. 21, '17: NOA1

October 23, '18: NOA2- approval

October 30, 18: 10-year GC received

6 hours ago, uv1996 said:

So from what I've read, our SSNs should be coming in a week or two. 

So maybe I can start looking up internships on LinkedIn, Monster and Indeed after that.

I'll be staying at Secaucus, New Jersey.

Thank you for your help :) 

I know this isn't a job board but from a practical standpoint I would recommend you to update your LinkedIn, etc. with your new location, etc. I work in tech and we have applicants all the time where it's hard to know their visa status. I'd also include Legal Permanent Resident on your resume if you have a non-American name to easily show you don't require sponsorship. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.