Citizen24

I just graduated and I'm moving to USA, how do I find a job

41 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, uv1996 said:

Yes SHE does :) 

My only question is:  How do you get a green card if you live in another country?  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline
6 hours ago, usmsbow said:

Well you're going to be near the financial center of the US and the job market is pretty good right now, so you've got that going for you. I have two pieces of advice. 1: apply, apply, apply. Don't worry if you don't think you qualify, just send in an application anyway. Doesn't hurt to try. 2: make sure your resume is in a format common here in the US. Also have someone familiar with the US work world review your resume. Using the right words and/or terms is pretty essential in getting past the initial HR screening. 

Do you have any work experience? Doesn't sound like it. If you DO have work experience, that will obviously help. My wife has "useless degree" (her words, not mine) but since getting her work permit, she hasn't been unemployed for more than a month (and that was the first month she had her permit). I think what helped her, besides applying to jobs like crazy, was having some useful job experience prior to moving to the US. 

Good luck! 

Yes I understand that work experience is very important, but I am just a fresher right out of college.

I have a 10 month experience as an article at a Chartered Accountancy firm, but I dont see how it  would help me.

I am going to try to beef up my resume by finding work related to my field.

Thank you for suggesting reviewing my resume and editing it to fit the US standards. Thats great advice and I will definitely work on it.

Thank you for your help :)

1 hour ago, Diane and Chris said:

My only question is:  How do you get a green card if you live in another country?  

Probably through marriage based CR1 Visa. Went back to India to study or something like that. 

Timeline
2 hours ago, GreatDane said:

I know this isn't a job board but from a practical standpoint I would recommend you to update your LinkedIn, etc. with your new location, etc. I work in tech and we have applicants all the time where it's hard to know their visa status. I'd also include Legal Permanent Resident on your resume if you have a non-American name to easily show you don't require sponsorship. 

Thats great advice! Thank you so much :) 

Timeline
1 hour ago, Diane and Chris said:

My grandfather applied for me when I was very young. 

I just got my immigration visa in April and I'm flying to USA in August where I wish to pursue further studies.

Timeline
1 hour ago, Dee elle said:

Spouse? New immigrants usually come from overseas.... 😁

Oh no I'm only 21 :) 

My grandfather (USC) applied for me when I was a child.

I got my immigration visa in April and now I'm flying out this August! 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, AnonIndia said:

Probably through marriage based CR1 Visa. Went back to India to study or something like that. 

No I'm not married, I'm only 21.

I got my green card through the F3- family based visa. My grandfather applied for my mom, my dad and me about 11 years ago.

Timeline
2 hours ago, GreatDane said:

I know this isn't a job board but from a practical standpoint I would recommend you to update your LinkedIn, etc. with your new location, etc. I work in tech and we have applicants all the time where it's hard to know their visa status. I'd also include Legal Permanent Resident on your resume if you have a non-American name to easily show you don't require sponsorship. 

Thank you so much, that is great advice. I'll get to it right away :) 

21 hours ago, uv1996 said:

Oh no I'm only 21 :) 

My grandfather (USC) applied for me when I was a child.

I got my immigration visa in April and now I'm flying out this August! 

Good for you!  The waiting has finally paid off for you!  Congratulations!  

Timeline
5 hours ago, Diane and Chris said:

Good for you!  The waiting has finally paid off for you!  Congratulations!  

Thank you so much :) 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.