56 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, fdhs said:

How do you know that it's a "low-chance gamble"? It is certainly a possibility, see below: 

Should have written: why do you think that it's a "low-chance gamble" (I noticed you wrote IMO afterwards). On second reading, my post sounded more confrontational than I intended...

I was interested in if you had any statistics/anecdotes which informed your opinion regarding the chances of success for a job-related exceptional circumstance DCF? Googling the forum seems to indicate that it works reasonably often  

4 hours ago, fdhs said:

How do you know that it's a "low-chance gamble"? It is certainly a possibility, see below: 

Low chance.  Meaning we dont hear about it much.  Most expedites with the USCIS are denied to begin with so it stands to reason that trying for beyond a expedite is even more difficult.  But you can ALWAYS try.  No one says you cant.  

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

14 minutes ago, NikLR said:

Low chance.  Meaning we dont hear about it much.  Most expedites with the USCIS are denied to begin with so it stands to reason that trying for beyond a expedite is even more difficult.  But you can ALWAYS try.  No one says you cant.  

It's true that there don't seem to be many posts about it, but that could be because not many people try it. However, it worked for us (will post full timeline shortly) and for pretty much everyone else who have tried (that I could find in the posts about it). The OP was asking for the fastest way to get a visa, and DCF with exceptional circumstances appears to be the fastest way (1-2 months).  Note that it is not an expedite, and USCIS clearly state on the page with filing instructions for the I-130 that short-term relocation for job reasons can be a reason to permit DCF at a non-DCF embassy.

People who ask for information should get correct info, without (too much) guesswork about what will work or not.

Edited by fdhs

3 hours ago, fdhs said:

Should have written: why do you think that it's a "low-chance gamble" (I noticed you wrote IMO afterwards). On second reading, my post sounded more confrontational than I intended...

I was interested in if you had any statistics/anecdotes which informed your opinion regarding the chances of success for a job-related exceptional circumstance DCF? Googling the forum seems to indicate that it works reasonably often  

My opinion is based on a combination of the requirements for "exceptional circumstances", my understanding of "exceptional", and reported cases on VJ and other forums (more on that below).

There are no statistics publicly posted for this activity, so we don't have anything firm to go by. But I've seen - over years - quite more people denied than approved. Much of it has to do with the specific circumstances (notice of the job change, country, etc.) and an evaluation of how one fits into the criteria. There are many cases I've seen where I believe there was a good chance of approval for exceptional circumstances for this reason. There are other cases where I believe there was not a good case.

As for what you see in the forums when somebody posts a topic about it, it's usually a success case. Not many people post about a failed expedite or (even less common) DCF under exceptional circumstances attempt. They just apply, and if it doesn't work, they go through normal processing through the US. I've seen more people report on it in the monthly threads or part of other threads, where it tends not to be successful.

Just out of curiosity, would you be writing a post if your attempt had not worked? Also, congrats!

2 hours ago, fdhs said:

People who ask for information should get correct info, without (too much) guesswork about what will work or not.

They got an opinion based upon an evaluation of the information available...that's all one can get here. Guesswork - or really an opinion - will always be involved.

I could list a lot of fringe options (in this case and almost all others), but they very likely do not apply to the OP's situation or otherwise are just not worth mentioning since they are so low chance of approval or have specific requirements that there is no reason to believe the OP qualifies for them. The best we can do is be guides, not data dumps.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

The one thing which is a truism on VJ is that you never get the full story, often material information seems to need to be dragged out.

So you can usually see where the extremes are, what works what does not, but trying to determine a dividing line when there are many variables is an impossibility.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

On 6/1/2018 at 5:56 PM, Boiler said:

The one thing which is a truism on VJ is that you never get the full story, often material information seems to need to be dragged out.

So you can usually see where the extremes are, what works what does not, but trying to determine a dividing line when there are many variables is an impossibility.

I absolutely agree; I'd be willing to bet that the country&type of job play a big part in whether it gets approved or not. My main point (and a few previous exceptional circumstance dcf-ers appear to agree, see, for example, the linked thread below) is that people on the forums seem to have almost a  "negative" attitude regarding it, suggesting that it is almost impossible to do. This in turn may lead to people not considering it.

that's ONE thread.  Ive only ever seen TWO exceptional circumstances since 2012 on VJ. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

12 hours ago, NikLR said:

that's ONE thread.  Ive only ever seen TWO exceptional circumstances since 2012 on VJ. 

I posted that as an example. There are several others; I have found at least 4-5 approved exceptional circumstance DCFs on VJ for 2018 alone. I strongly suspect that the probability of it working is quite dependent on the country/region. Many of the threads seem to devolve into Europeans telling Canadians that it most likely won't work, and Europeans telling Canadians that it usually works. 

Edited by fdhs

Ah well maybe in europe it does. :)  after all you guys rarely have to travel as far as we do just for a normal interview. :) attempted DCF in Canada involves applying to the embassy in Mexico. 

But please link the rest of you can. 

4 hours ago, NikLR said:

But please link the rest of you can. 

Apart from myself (dcf stockholm), the thread linked in my previous post (dcf copenhagen), I also found these two from 2018 (dcf from belgium and australia):

From 2017:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline
On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 6:34 PM, Chris009 said:

Hi everyone, 
This is a very broad question, but we need a good direction to get started and this website seems to be filled with answers. So any help would be greatly appreciated. 
My girlfriend and I, after being together in Sweden for three years, have decided to move back to my home state and we are wondering what is the fastest and most guaranteed way of obtaining a green card for her. Sponsorship through a job seems to be very difficult, so it feels like we are left with three options. The first would be applying for a fiance visa. And the other two would be through marriage, either here in Sweden or in the states. We want to move back to the US as soon as possible, so what is our smartest option? Fiance, Marriage in Sweden, Marriage in US, or some mystery choice?. 
Thanks in advance for any advice. 
Cheers

Hej hej!

So, lots of people have given helpful answers. I think in your particular circumstance, CR1 would probably be a good fit but as others have said - it's ultimately up to you and your partner, weighing out the pros and cons specific to your situation. One is a tad pricier, one can take a bit longer. One allows the beneficiary to work right away, while the other requires additional applications to work.

As a recent Swede/American K1 filer, I can tell you that for us, at least, the whole process seemed pretty straightforward. Sweden being a low fraud country and not having as many applicants as other countries made things (at least on the Swedish end) a bit simple. For us, we filed in June 2017, received our NOA2 approval December 1, and he had his interview February 22, visa in hand March 5. We're together and married now. :)

No matter your circumstance, the best advise anyone can give you is to make sure you and your partner research all available options and ensure you are on the same page before you start taking action. I think someone else also mentioned this, but something else to double check is make sure you have reestablished domicile in the US if you haven't already.

Good luck to you both!

Håll ut, y'all.

K1 Process                                                                                AOS Process

July 2015 - met online thanks to Zak Bagans                                                            May 25, 2018 - South Carolina marriage license issued

June 2016 - first in-person meeting                                                                             May 26, 2018 - legally married

August 2016 - stateside visit                                                                                        June 7, 2018 - applied for Social Security Number [manual verification required]

February-April 2017 - stateside visit                                                                           June 18, 2018 - SSN/card received in the mail

April 4, 2017 - got engaged                                                                                          June 30, 2018 - submitted I-485 (AOS)/I-765 (EAD)/I-131 (AP) together

June 5, 2017 - submitted I129F                                                                                   July 9, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP electronic NOA1 received

June 12, 2017 - received NOA1                                                                                   July 13, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP hard copy NOA1 received (dated July 6, 2018)

December 1, 2017 - received NOA2                                                                            July 25, 2018 - Biometrics appointment (Charlotte, NC)

January 17, 2018 - NVC received case                                                                      August 1, 2018 - case status updated to "Ready to be Scheduled for Interview"

January 18, 2018 - received NVC case number by phone                                      August 11, 2018 - case status updated to "I-485 Interview Scheduled"

January 24, 2018 - packet received via email                                                           August 16, 2018 - AOS Interview Scheduled letter received

February 15, 2018 - medical appointment                                                                 August 28, 2018 - visited civil surgeon (Winston-Salem, NC) to complete I-693

February-March 2018 - trip to Gothenburg                                                                                                [beneficiary had to get one remaining vaccination stateside]

February 22, 2018 - interview at the US Embassy in Stockholm                            September 18, 2018 - I-485/AOS Interview in Greer, SC

[passed, pending receipt of medical papers]                           September 18, 2018 - case status updated to "Card Has Been Issued/Mailed"

February 27, 2018 - medical papers received by Embassy                                     September 25, 2018 - Green Card received in the mail

March 5, 2018 - visa received in the mail with passport                                          October 6, 2018 - traditional wedding with family & friends

May 16, 2018 - POE in Charlotte, NC

Up next.... Removal of Conditions!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.