1,707 posts in this topic

23 minutes ago, Diorella said:

please let me know. the girl who interviewed us said i can have my naturalization 3 yr. after getting married. so i dont know which is true anymore. 

What?? Wow...that is incorrect. As I said before, marriage date is ONLY used to know if you get a 2-year or 10-year GC. It says right here on this official USCIS page about naturalization for US spouses: "You must have been a PERMANENT RESIDENT for at least 3 years." Plus you must have been living in marital union with your USC spouse during those 3 years. That is NOT the same thing as saying, "You are allowed to naturalize on the 3-year anniversary of your marriage." Marriage date has NOTHING to do with naturalization.

UPDATE!!!

Finally,  a positive update! 

Timeline:

April 2nd - AOS/EAD/AP all received by USCIS

September 25th - USCIS issued RFE 

October 3rd - RFE response received by USCIS

And then last night..... FINALLY!! October 16th our case changed to “Ready to be scheduled for an interview” 

STILL NO UPDATE ON EAD/AP!!! PRAY FOR ME!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

EVERYONE!!!

im in tears of joy.

our status changed today to scheduled for an interview.

im simply overwhelmed.

whats next ?

can I call and ask for the actual date?

will it be soon hopefully?

Just now, AZSunshine78 said:

EVERYONE!!!

im in tears of joy.

our status changed today to scheduled for an interview.

im simply overwhelmed.

whats next ?

can I call and ask for the actual date?

will it be soon hopefully?

Ours changed last night too! Congratulations!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Just got a text that my status has been updated. Went to the case status online site and saw that "my card has been mailed to me." No "card in production" or any of the other steps. I'm not complaining, it's been 191 days and I'm probably the last April filer to get their card. I will be cancelling my scheduled infopass appointment as that won't be necessary now. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
1 hour ago, AZSunshine78 said:

Does anyone know why they don’t give you the interview date when they change status to interview wasscheduled?

They will send you a date in a letter and also update your status when they schedule you. They both happen a month before the actual interview date. 

49 minutes ago, QED said:

Just got a text that my status has been updated. Went to the case status online site and saw that "my card has been mailed to me." No "card in production" or any of the other steps. I'm not complaining, it's been 191 days and I'm probably the last April filer to get their card. I will be cancelling my scheduled infopass appointment as that won't be necessary now. 

You’re not the last! I still don’t have mine! Congrats!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Cambodia
Timeline

Concerning TX Drivers License for AOS filers. One of the most helpful pieces of information I have seen on this site...

"My husband (who came on a K1 visa) recently had difficulty getting a TX driver's license during AOS. We read about a lot of people that were unsuccessful until they at least had the EAD, but he finally managed to get one, so we thought we'd share what worked. (As an aside, he has been driving with an international driver's license that is valid for a year, but we had a hard time finding a bank that didn't require a US driver's license and knew that car insurance would go down over time with experience driving under a US driver's license, so the sooner he had one the better.)

He originally went to DPS with his I-94 that was going to expire in less than a month. He was told his license would expire when the I-94 did, and then he'd have to apply for a new license all over again with other documentation. We had just received the email notice that our AOS, EAD, and AP applications had been received and our NOA1 was on its way. He showed the woman the email to see if the NOA1 would work as proof of lawful presence and she thought it might. Sure enough, the next day the NOA1 arrived and he headed to DPS. Of course, this letter only says you've applied for adjustment of status and your case has been received, and the lack of expiration date plus the giant words at the top "THIS IS NOT A VISA" didn't sit well with whoever he showed the paperwork to that day. He was advised to return when he had a document that showed some sort of approval, like the EAD if not the green card.

I wasn't pleased since the DPS requires "proof of lawful presence," and even though my husband's application for residency is pending, he IS lawfully here in the meantime. I ended up finding a document on the DPS website that showed that for our category (applicants for adjustment of status), the NOA1 served as proof of lawful presence. I circled and highlighted the words "form I-797" (NOA1) and "PENDING adjustment of status" and sent my husband back to plead his case. It worked.

https://www.dps.texas.gov/DriverLicense/documents/verifyingLawfulPresence.pdf

Whereas before he was sent away almost immediately, this time they at least tried to put his information in the computer to check for lawful presence. In his case, it wasn't instantaneous and he was told he would have to wait for a letter in the mail after further verification. (You can read about this process- SAVE- at the top of the document I linked to.) He got his letter a week later, took his driving test, and now has a TX driver's license that's good for a year.

Moral of the story: if you're in Texas and just married your K1 fiance, take all your documents AND the DPS "Verifying Lawful Presence" guide and convince them to put your fiance's A# in the computer for SAVE to decide whether you're lawfully present or not. Otherwise, they're not experts on the K1-AOS limbo and will probably just shoo you away out of ignorance or for convenience.

"

Thank you @racheld08

"Do not worry about anything, but in everything, by prayer and

petition, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God, and the peace of God, that is superior to every frame of mind, shall be garrisoning your hearts and your apprehensions in Christ Jesus."

Citizenship
Event Date
Service Center : Online
CIS Office : Houston TX
Date Filed : 2022-03-12
NOA Date : 2022-03-13
Bio. Appt. :  
Interview Date : 2023-01-06
Approved : Yes
Oath Ceremony : 2023-01-21

USPS INFORMED DELIVERYhttps://informeddelivery.usps.com/box/pages/intro/start.action

Just a thought: I’m an April filer and was ready to be scheduled for interview since June. However, there are some who filed before me and just now received a notification that they’re ready to be scheduled for interview.

Will USCIS base the interview scheduling on the date of filing or the date of when they are ready to be scheduled for interview?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Aruba
Timeline
5 hours ago, QED said:

They will send you a date in a letter and also update your status when they schedule you. They both happen a month before the actual interview date. 

I filled mine too on the 24th of April. And I still haven't gotten my EAD yet either. Congratz by the way!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Aruba
Timeline
5 hours ago, QED said:

I filled mine too on the 24th of April. And I still haven't gotten my EAD yet either. Congratz by the way!

13 hours ago, antipasti7 said:

Just a thought: I’m an April filer and was ready to be scheduled for interview since June. However, there are some who filed before me and just now received a notification that they’re ready to be scheduled for interview.

Will USCIS base the interview scheduling on the date of filing or the date of when they are ready to be scheduled for interview?

Every field office is different. We have been "Ready to be scheduled" since May and have not heard anything since. We never received an RFE and my husband has his EAD and has been working for about a month now. However, there are people who received "Ready to be Scheduled" way after May and already had their interview. It is just how fast/slow your particular office is and they all operate at different paces, unfortunately.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
17 hours ago, antipasti7 said:

Your case being ready to be scheduled for interview simply means NBC (the general office for everybody) thinks ur case is fine

It now goes to ur local office. how soon you get your interview is based on how backed-up ur local office is.

So to answer ur question simply-

Local offices schedule the interview based on the date of filing

BUT someone from a faster office is more than likely to get their "ready to schedule interview" after u AND get their interview scheduled before you.

You seem to be in the LA office
I think that wait is about a year from when you filed. Good luck!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.