Geoman

Travel Ban, is it renewed?

64 posts in this topic

So the travel ban case was heard before the Supreme Court on April 25, 2018. The final verdict comes out June 30, 2018.

The ban is for all immigrants and non-immigrant visas coming from those countries under the travel ban with a few exceptions for some countries. For example, Iran still can have a visa is issued for non-immigrant classes F, M, And J Which are for students and exchange visitors.

The best thing to do right now would be to write a letter to Supreme Court Justice Kennedy and Roberts  explaining exactly how the travel ban is affecting you and your family.  If either of these two justices decided To vote against this ban it will be overturned.  These two justices carry the swing vote. 

According to the department of state I did not see any fiancée visa is being issued for the last 3 to 4 months since the last travel ban was upheld by the Supreme Court on December 8, 2017. 

Please write a letter immediately to Justice Kennedy and Justice Roberts encouraging them to counter act the travel ban.. According to the State Department website people are already being interviewed for waivers and 400+ have been issued.  Many people are being denied waivers, including some terminally ill  children and grandparents. This travel ban is not about terrorism! 400+ waivers is not that many when you consider the thousands and thousands who have applied and spent time and money and energy on this already very long process

664B105B-2F66-4853-88E3-6DFC7218DBD5.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Syria
Timeline

what is the best way to reach out to the justices? do you have an address I can mail a letter? or an email address? please let me know and I would love to send them. 

thanks 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Norway
Timeline
13 hours ago, Muhammadsheikhale said:

what is the best way to reach out to the justices? do you have an address I can mail a letter? or an email address? please let me know and I would love to send them. 

thanks 

My mother just wrote a letter yesterday - I am planning on doing the same soon. The address we are using is: Supreme Court of the United States, 1 First Street, NE, Washington, DC 20543. (We are addressing specifically to Supreme Court Justice Roberts.

I-129F Sent: 12/29/17

I-129F NOA 1: 1/4/18

I-129F NOA 2: 7/9/18

NVC Received: 7/18/18

Consulate Received: 8/9/18

Packet 3 Received: 8/13/18

Interview Date: 9/20/18

Interview Result: Administrative Processing

*Visitor's visa interview: December 2016, called back by embassy for second interview on same visa application in January 2019 - visitor's visa finally issued May 2019.

*Fiance visa placed in administrative processing September 2018. 

*Beneficiary's Country: Norway via Iran.

• 1 month later...
On 5/1/2018 at 11:35 AM, Anibunny said:

So the travel ban case was heard before the Supreme Court on April 25, 2018. The final verdict comes out June 30, 2018.

The ban is for all immigrants and non-immigrant visas coming from those countries under the travel ban with a few exceptions for some countries. For example, Iran still can have a visa is issued for non-immigrant classes F, M, And J Which are for students and exchange visitors.

The best thing to do right now would be to write a letter to Supreme Court Justice Kennedy and Roberts  explaining exactly how the travel ban is affecting you and your family.  If either of these two justices decided To vote against this ban it will be overturned.  These two justices carry the swing vote. 

According to the department of state I did not see any fiancée visa is being issued for the last 3 to 4 months since the last travel ban was upheld by the Supreme Court on December 8, 2017. 

Please write a letter immediately to Justice Kennedy and Justice Roberts encouraging them to counter act the travel ban.. According to the State Department website people are already being interviewed for waivers and 400+ have been issued.  Many people are being denied waivers, including some terminally ill  children and grandparents. This travel ban is not about terrorism! 400+ waivers is not that many when you consider the thousands and thousands who have applied and spent time and money and energy on this already very long process

664B105B-2F66-4853-88E3-6DFC7218DBD5.png

Is it still good to write to Justice Robert? or is it little too late by now?

Timeline

@Geoman I would definitely still write a letter to Roberts - send one to Kennedy as well. I wrote to both of them a couple of weeks ago explaining how this ban has been affecting my family (my brother-in-law and my fiancé are both from banned countries.) It looks like the decision will be announced by June 30th, so you still have plenty of time. I've not received any kind of reply back since sending my letters, but it can't hurt.

*Visitor's visa interview: December 2016, called back by embassy for second interview on same visa application in January 2019 - visitor's visa finally issued May 2019.

9 minutes ago, JennaL said:

@Geoman I would definitely still write a letter to Roberts - send one to Kennedy as well. I wrote to both of them a couple of weeks ago explaining how this ban has been affecting my family (my brother-in-law and my fiancé are both from banned countries.) It looks like the decision will be announced by June 30th, so you still have plenty of time. I've not received any kind of reply back since sending my letters, but it can't hurt.

27 minutes ago, Geoman said:

Is it still good to write to Justice Robert? or is it little too late by now?

How will writing a letter do anything at all? This is about the rule of law which the President has the sole authority in regards to immigration. You should be more concerned about the immigration law that is coming up to vote this week which will end chain migration. Your fiancé should not be affected by the ban at all.

Timeline
12 minutes ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

How will writing a letter do anything at all? This is about the rule of law which the President has the sole authority in regards to immigration. You should be more concerned about the immigration law that is coming up to vote this week which will end chain migration. Your fiancé should not be affected by the ban at all.

I hope not, @Cyberfx1024, but my fiancé is originally from Iran (even though he has been a Norwegian citizen for 15 years) and has been put into AP for his tourist visa to visit me here for the past 18 months. He was told at his interview that this was pending extra vetting due to the ban. We are naturally concerned that this will happen again once he has his interview for our fiancé visa whether or not the ban is allowed to continue. My brother-in-law is a refugee from a banned country currently living in Turkey for the past 5 years awaiting permission to come to the U.S. He has been told that his refugee process has been halted until the Supreme Court makes a decision. So yes, I will do anything, even something as silly as writing a simple letter, if it means my family will be allowed to join the rest of us here in the US.

1 hour ago, JennaL said:

I hope not, @Cyberfx1024, but my fiancé is originally from Iran (even though he has been a Norwegian citizen for 15 years) and has been put into AP for his tourist visa to visit me here for the past 18 months. He was told at his interview that this was pending extra vetting due to the ban. We are naturally concerned that this will happen again once he has his interview for our fiancé visa whether or not the ban is allowed to continue. My brother-in-law is a refugee from a banned country currently living in Turkey for the past 5 years awaiting permission to come to the U.S. He has been told that his refugee process has been halted until the Supreme Court makes a decision. So yes, I will do anything, even something as silly as writing a simple letter, if it means my family will be allowed to join the rest of us here in the US.

A refugee waiting 5 years to come to the USA under what visa, a refugee visa? If he is from Iran and now living in Turkey then he is fine. As to seeing why the ban was put in place is simple because those countries were not cooperating with the USA in regards to records and a couple other things as well. It is not something nefarious to do with it at all.

On 6/14/2018 at 9:34 AM, Cyberfx1024 said:

Cyberfx, you make since to me, I understand your logic. But, if the presidential proclamation states "No non emigrant, No emigrant visas from Syria" does't that mean including fiance visa?

On 6/14/2018 at 9:56 AM, JennaL said:

If he is a Norway citizen than he should apply with the citizenship of Norway. This ban not apply to dual citizens as long as you apply using the country that is not banned.

Edited by Anibunny
misspell

On 6/14/2018 at 9:34 AM, Cyberfx1024 said:

Are you sure it doesn't affect the fiance visa? Because In the last 4 months they have only given out one K1 fiance visa according to the state department websites link which shows Visa statistics of the number of visas they issued to each country for each visa category by month. For January February and March months there were no fiance visas issued to Iran and in April through is only one which was probably a dual citizen

The bar applies to K-class visas as well as immigrant visas.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline

Wow, this is very bad news for a lot of us. I hope waiver processes are put into place for those who have spouses and fiances they are awaiting to join in the US. I am very worried about my brother-in-law who is currently a refugee in Turkey right now and what this means for him and my sister.  

• 1 month later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.