7 posts in this topic

Hello everyone! This is a supplement letter I included with my I129F petition. Are there any problems with it? Thank you!

(My Name)

Re: Supplement to I-129F Petition, Circumstances of In-Person Meeting

Page 8, Part 2, Item number 54

I first met my best friend and the love of my life, (my fiance), about 5 years ago on a church mission trip to Haiti. However, it wasn’t until a few years later that I would realize that. During my first trip from April 3-9, 2013, I spent most of my time with him and a few of his friends. I became good friends with all of them and completely fell in love with the country and culture of Haiti. I told them I would be back next year.

On the mission trip in 2014, I was there from March 27-April 1. We set up a makeshift  clinic with Dr. --------------- and (my fiancé) and I worked closely together throughout the week. I used the Snellen eye chart to test patients’ vision and he was my translator.

Soon after the trip, (my fiancé) and I became friends on Facebook. On his birthday, on December 4, 2016, I wrote him a private message wishing him happy birthday. Ever since that day we have kept in touch. Since my last trip to Haiti, I had been trying to learn Haitian Creole through various websites online and the English-Haitian Creole Bilingual Dictionary by Albert Valdman so I asked him if we could write each other in Creole so I could practice. That is now the primary language we communicate in. We went from writing each other every few days to every day to multiple times a day. Eventually I deleted my Facebook account, and downloaded Whatsapp. We started texting each other for hours each day, sometimes staying up until the early morning hours.

We became very close and basically just went from being friends to wanting to get married. We have so much in common, the same sense of humor, similar goals and passions in life, such as our Catholic faith (which is what originally attracted us to each other), music, soccer, a love for learning languages, a desire to help others, travel, natural living, etc, etc, etc,. I also feel that the differences we do have make our relationship stronger. It is fun for both of us to get to know another culture better and we always have something to talk about. The few arguments we have had have been handled well and ended quickly. He really puts things into perspective for me and he has changed my life in many ways. 

Something a lot of people are surprised about is our age difference. (My fiancé) is over 12 years older than I am. This difference has not been a problem for us, and we actually didn’t even realize it until several months after we start talking every day. I am quite mature for my age and our personalities balance each other out very well. Additionally, because of the economic situation in Haiti, many people his age are at the same life stage as many people my age in the U.S. For him, that is the case. We both still live with our parents, and we both have not yet completed our education.  Even though (my fiancé) has a teaching job right now, he would like to go to college so he can do work as a translator. He would also like to learn to speak English fluently so he can teach it in Haiti. He had to stop going to school because his family could not afford it. I am currently looking into educational opportunities for him once we are married and he has learned English and I am hoping he will be able to attend a community college and then transfer to my university to complete a degree.

I spent this past New Year’s with (my fiancé) at (a guesthouse) in Port au Prince, Haiti from Dec. 31-Jan. 2.We spent most of our time just hanging out around the guesthouse and we also visited a children’s home with our hostess. On the morning of January 2nd, the last day I saw him on my trip, he proposed to me on the balcony off my room. He wasn’t able to buy a ring yet, but he said he couldn’t wait any longer. We started putting together this petition that day at the guesthouse.

From now until our wedding, which we are hoping to have in November, 2018, we will continue to communicate daily through Whatsapp. From June 9-15, 2018, I will be going to Haiti again to see (my fiancé) and get to know his family better. This time, I will be staying in the rectory of (my fiance’s) church.

We considered marrying and staying in Haiti as we both absolutely love the culture and the warm weather, but I would like to finish my education in the U.S. first. I am finishing up my undergraduate degree at (my university) while living at home and I am on track to attend Physician Assistant School. We decided we would also like to have our first child here in the U.S. After we finish school and save up some money, we are planning on splitting our time each year between living and working in the U.S. and Haiti and creating a nonprofit organization to help (my fiances) community.  

I declare that the statements presented here are true to the best of my knowledge under penalty of perjury. Should you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact (my fiancé) or me. Thank you for your consideration of our petition.

Signed:

Dated:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country:
Timeline

That is not a requirement for K1. Don’t send what they don’t ask. It’s just more paperwork for them to go through and take longer. The only thing you need to prove is meeting within 2 years by pictures, passport stamps, receipts. That’s it. A letter won’t do it. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I'm not sure it is necessary but it is beautifully written and brought tears to my eyes here at work as it made me think of how much I love and miss my fiance and how our stories have a few similarities.

This is too long and the tone is too sickly sweet.  Just provide the circumstances of when you met, and provide the proof to back it up.  I attached a supplement as well, but it was this paragraph:

"After meeting for the first time in November 2013, [Husband] came to visit me in the USA in June 2014.  I went to the UK in October 2014 and December 2014, where I spent Christmas with his family in [City].  [Husband] came to the US for my college graduation in May 2015.  I obtained a tier 4 student visa to study at the University of [City] and moved to the UK in September 2015.  [Husband] and I saw each other most weekends from September 2015 to July 2016 and also spent time with his family in [City] during this time.  We went to the US to spend Christmas with my family in December 2015."

We were approved no problem, no RFE's.

By submitting something like you've written, you're just giving them more to read through and making it harder to find the information they need.  A simple narrative stating the facts is all you need. 

Also, I'd also advise you not to address the age difference unless specifically asked about it in an interview.  By bringing up that it's a cause of concern for people who know you, you're just giving them ammunition to question your relationship.

August 20, 2016 ----> May 5, 2021

1,720 days ----> 4 years, 8 months, and 16 days

DONE with our visa journey and USCIS!

K1:

Spoiler

8/20/2016: I-129F packet mailed
10/20/2016: NOA2

1/20/2017: Interview (approved!)

2/20/2017: POE Philadelphia

3/18/2017: Wedding!

Adjustment of Status:

Spoiler

5/11/2017:  I-485, I-131, and I-765 packets mailed to Chicago lockbox

5/18/2017: NOA

5/30/2017:  Biometrics completed (walk-in, East Hartford, CT ASC)

8/2017-9/2017: Three service requests and case request to Congresswoman submitted for I-765

10/7/2017:  EAD/AP combo card received 

12/14/2017: Interview!

12/30/2017: GC received

Removal of Conditions: 

Spoiler

9/16/2019: Packet mailed to Dallas lockbox

9/23/2019: NOA date

10/24/2019: Biometrics completed (East Hartford, CT ASC) 

8/18/2020: Case approved

9/8/2020: GC in hand!

Citizenship:

Spoiler

9/17/2020: N-400 filed online

9/25/2020: Hard copy NOA received

11/12/2020: Biometrics reuse notice on USCIS account

3/19/2021: Email notification that USCIS has taken action on our case

3/31/2021: Interview notice

5/5/2021: Interview in Lawrence, MA (our field office is Hartford, CT)

5/5/2021: Approval and same day oath ceremony due to COVID-19!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline
26 minutes ago, bobbro said:

Hello everyone! This is a supplement letter I included with my I129F petition. Are there any problems with it? Thank you!

(My Name)

I first met my best friend and the love of my life, (my fiance), about 5 years ago on a church mission trip to Haiti. However, it wasn’t until a few years later that I would realize that. During my first trip from April 3-9, 2013, I spent most of my time with him and a few of his friends. I became good friends with all of them and completely fell in love with the country and culture of Haiti. I told them I would be back next year.

On the mission trip in 2014, I was there from March 27-April 1. We set up a makeshift  clinic with Dr. --------------- and (my fiancé) and I worked closely together throughout the week. I used the Snellen eye chart to test patients’ vision and he was my translator.

Soon after the trip, (my fiancé) and I became friends on Facebook. On his birthday, on December 4, 2016, I wrote him a private message wishing him happy birthday. Ever since that day we have kept in touch. Since my last trip to Haiti, I had been trying to learn Haitian Creole through various websites online and the English-Haitian Creole Bilingual Dictionary by Albert Valdman so I asked him if we could write each other in Creole so I could practice. That is now the primary language we communicate in. We went from writing each other every few days to every day to multiple times a day. Eventually I deleted my Facebook account, and downloaded Whatsapp. We started texting each other for hours each day, sometimes staying up until the early morning hours.

We became very close and basically just went from being friends to wanting to get married. We have so much in common, the same sense of humor, similar goals and passions in life, such as our Catholic faith (which is what originally attracted us to each other), music, soccer, a love for learning languages, a desire to help others, travel, natural living, etc, etc, etc,. I also feel that the differences we do have make our relationship stronger. It is fun for both of us to get to know another culture better and we always have something to talk about. The few arguments we have had have been handled well and ended quickly. He really puts things into perspective for me and he has changed my life in many ways. 

Something a lot of people are surprised about is our age difference. (My fiancé) is over 12 years older than I am. This difference has not been a problem for us, and we actually didn’t even realize it until several months after we start talking every day. I am quite mature for my age and our personalities balance each other out very well. Additionally, because of the economic situation in Haiti, many people his age are at the same life stage as many people my age in the U.S. For him, that is the case. We both still live with our parents, and we both have not yet completed our education.  Even though (my fiancé) has a teaching job right now, he would like to go to college so he can do work as a translator. He would also like to learn to speak English fluently so he can teach it in Haiti. He had to stop going to school because his family could not afford it. I am currently looking into educational opportunities for him once we are married and he has learned English and I am hoping he will be able to attend a community college and then transfer to my university to complete a degree.

I spent this past New Year’s with (my fiancé) at (a guesthouse) in Port au Prince, Haiti from Dec. 31-Jan. 2.We spent most of our time just hanging out around the guesthouse and we also visited a children’s home with our hostess. On the morning of January 2nd, the last day I saw him on my trip, he proposed to me on the balcony off my room. He wasn’t able to buy a ring yet, but he said he couldn’t wait any longer. We started putting together this petition that day at the guesthouse.

From now until our wedding, which we are hoping to have in November, 2018, we will continue to communicate daily through Whatsapp. From June 9-15, 2018, I will be going to Haiti again to see (my fiancé) and get to know his family better. This time, I will be staying in the rectory of (my fiance’s) church.

We considered marrying and staying in Haiti as we both absolutely love the culture and the warm weather, but I would like to finish my education in the U.S. first. I am finishing up my undergraduate degree at (my university) while living at home and I am on track to attend Physician Assistant School. We decided we would also like to have our first child here in the U.S. After we finish school and save up some money, we are planning on splitting our time each year between living and working in the U.S. and Haiti and creating a nonprofit organization to help (my fiances) community.  

I declare that the statements presented here are true to the best of my knowledge under penalty of perjury. Should you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact (my fiancé) or me. Thank you for your consideration of our petition.

Signed:

Dated:

Well after spending 5 months on this site, and from what I learnt : you don't have to write too detailed or long like this...

However, My fiance wrote a similar one about us, we sent it. I don't regret it ... 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
53 minutes ago, bobbro said:

(My Name)

Signed:

Dated:

I sent a page and a half about my relationship with my husband, and I do not regret it, maybe they read it maybe they didn't.

It's unnecessary to include that kind of detail, and won't change whatever decision they make. Not to be too much of a party pooper (sorry!), but every couple applying for their fiance has a story to tell, including fraudulent ones. They will look at evidence, not well-written stories (or pleas, which people have done).

It's not harmful to include it, but I would personally keep it simple and concise, and have the case backed with plenty of relationship evidence. You'll be fine. :)

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.